If CLE trades for Mariota, does Jerry trade for Manziel?

kjcmeb

Reaction score
We can rescind the tag on Chris Jones, but I think that Manziel makes more than the tag anyway....Can't pay a punter that much.....Now if he was able to hit some FGs, he could be a dual threat P/K.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
For a late round draft choice? Sign me up. I'll gladly send a 7th rounder this year to Cleveland to possibly obtain Romo's replacement. Say what you will, but there was some level of consideration for using last year's 1st rounder. His rookie season went as poorly as it could have, no doubt, but the same talents and traits that people saw last year are still there.

If he's made available on the cheap, if Cleveland drafted another QB of the future, I would send them a late round draft pick.

I wouldn't start to defend Manziel's issues, but it seems obvious to me that the system in Cleveland absolutely sucks. From Josh Gordon, to Justin Gilbert, to Manziel. The team either pursues guys with issues, or they do nothing to help their players avoid them. Take your pick on that. I think the Cowboys have proven to have a much better staff and a much better system in place. I have faith in their ability to help Manziel turn things around.

So yeah, for a late round draft pick, I would roll the dice on Manziel as Romo's eventual successor. Worst case scenario, it costs me a 7th round crap shoot on another player.
This. Don't forget our current backup.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
I won't judge a QB based on time in Cleveland.

I think Manziel was/is highly overrated, and I also have a nagging feeling that he will eventually wear a Cowboys jersey. I don't know why, just seems that way.

Maybe in a better system he could be Russ Wilson. Maybe it's all downhill for him from here. Who knows?

cml750

Reaction score
Meh, didn't read the thread but I would be interested if the price was right. Manziel's biggest issue is that he is larger than life but he does have some talent. Whatever it is, he has it and I think he has potential if put in the right situation. Sitting behind Romo watching would be one of those right situations if he could live with sitting behind someone else like .Aaron Rodgers did.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Dallas will just wait a couple of years and pick up Johnny for free, when the Browns cut him.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
We can rescind the tag on Chris Jones, but I think that Manziel makes more than the tag anyway....Can't pay a punter that much.....Now if he was able to hit some FGs, he could be a dual threat P/K.

Jones signed a two year deal earlier this week.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
It's Jerry's fascination... And we are looking at developmental backup QBs

Yup. I can't think of a better player to sit behind Romo for a few years. Romo's escapability is a great thing for Johnny to sit behind and watch for a few seasons. Let him mature a bit.

For a 4th round pick I'd pull the trigger.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Since we seem interested in picking a rookie QB as a backup/developmental QB, is there an offer from CLE that Jerry could not refuse? 4th rounder this year and a conditional pick next year?

I have not seen much to like from Manziel yet in the NFL, but maybe he's been humbled a bit by rehab and would be OK backing up and learning (and maybe having some speciality plays) for 3 years behind Romo. Would that be better than Bryce Petty in the 3rd or Sean Manion/Garrett Grayson in the 4th?

Manziel: what a horrible scenario.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup. I can't think of a better player to sit behind Romo for a few years. Romo's escapability is a great thing for Johnny to sit behind and watch for a few seasons. Let him mature a bit.

For a 4th round pick I'd pull the trigger.

Good way to waste a 4th round pick. Word out of CLE this morning is the Browns brass is really questioning if he can play in the league. That is why they want Bradford. I'd sign him as a FA but he would have to show something pretty quickly or he would be gone. Far to much unwanted drama for what he is worth.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I won't judge a QB based on time in Cleveland.

I think Manziel was/is highly overrated, and I also have a nagging feeling that he will eventually wear a Cowboys jersey. I don't know why, just seems that way.

Maybe in a better system he could be Russ Wilson. Maybe it's all downhill for him from here. Who knows?

Did you judge Weeden?

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole. Don't want that guy in a Cowboys uniform... like ever.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Good way to waste a 4th round pick. Word out of CLE this morning is the Browns brass is really questioning if he can play in the league. That is why they want Bradford. I'd sign him as a FA but he would have to show something pretty quickly or he would be gone. Far to much unwanted drama for what he is worth.

Good points.

But I would give Tebow a chance before this clown!