If Cowboys take OL at 19

jnday

Reaction score
THIS flat out refusal to even draft the size one tech you need is a head scratcher..You can not set the ends with a 280-290 pound one tech..Maybe it works at the three tech, But i want 310 on both my tackles min, Pref 325 at one tech!
That is one of many reasons why the team needs a modern defensive coordinator. Dallas has spent plenty of picks on defense, but Marinelli don't know where to put them.

Sydla

Reaction score
With the salary cap, you can't have a great defense and offense. The oline keeps the defense off the field and well rested. Should we give up on having the best oline in the league to give Marinelli more players that he can't do anything with ?

That's false. The team that just won the SB had a Top 5 defense and a Top 10 offense before Wentz got hurt.

This idea that not taking an OG at 19 would mean we are giving up on the best OL in the league is such a bizarre comment.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I really think that LB is the bigger need, even if Vea is there at 19...
Vea is the type of talent that will make it easier for everyone behind him and playing beside him. His size, strength, and quickness is hard to pass up on. But saying this, doubtful he is their cause of what I said.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree..But whoever blew it on Green should have left with the rest of them..I dont think that was McClay either..

I think that he (Frank Pollack) did. Chaz Green was his guy. And when he flamed out spectacularly, Pollack ultimately paid the price for his miss.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the salary cap, you can't have a great defense and offense. The oline keeps the defense off the field and well rested. Should we give up on having the best oline in the league to give Marinelli more players that he can't do anything with ?

Apparently, according to some, we should use our first round pick on a linebacker that will be lucky to play 30% of the time.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Linebacker is not a deep or talented position this year. Good? YES...but none are truly what you would call Elite. No Khalil Macks in this draft. Bowman might be the best LB we can get this year.

STOP we wouldn't be in position for a Mack. We aren't bad enough to tank.

jnday

Reaction score
That's false. The team that just won the SB had a Top 5 defense and a Top 10 offense before Wentz got hurt.

This idea that not taking an OG at 19 would mean we are giving up on the best OL in the league is such a bizarre comment.
It is not bizarre considering how bad they played last year with poor LG play.

jnday

Reaction score
Apparently, according to some, we should use our first round pick on a linebacker that will be lucky to play 30% of the time.
Maybe draft a big, fat DL that only plays 30% of the time would be better. The team's identity is the oline play. Dak would really be sorry without great protection.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is not bizarre considering how bad they played last year with poor LG play.

Another myth.

The OL played fine with Cooper at LG. It was when the back started to really affect Smith that things went sideways, not who was playing LG.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Daniels at least has to be a legitimate option at 19. He'd be on my short list with Payne and Landry.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Daniels at least has to be a legitimate option at 19. He'd be on my short list with Payne and Landry.
Daniels has been called one of the best C prospects to come out in the last few years, and could be a stud G.
I can’t even imagine what would happen to this OL’s production if Fred were to miss any time, let alone significant time.
Daniels needs to be a consideration for that reason alone.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
The question to consider imo is what player can be added to the current units to take them to the next level.

Would one of the premium Gs set the Oline? Absolutely.

On the other hand, a player like Vea or Payne demanding double teams at the 1tech works in two ways. Frees up the LBs to stay clean and flow to the football, and also leaves Irving, DLaw and Taco taking on single blockers and forces teams to leave in TEs and RBs to help pass protect.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I am all for drafting a guard at 19. I would prefer to do it in a trade back but would be ecstatic with one at 19.

Get back to dominating time of possession. Allow our Oline to remain solid should Martin leave next year. Help out our defense by keeping them off the field and getting the other offense out of sync.

Give Zeke more room to operate- Dak more time to throw.

And whoever mentioned the fact that we are going up against the most dominant D-line in football against the Eagles makes a great point.

LG is a need, and would help out this team greatly. And someone correct me if I’m wrong but it’s been three years since we even drafted an o-linemen correct???

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am all for drafting a guard at 19. I would prefer to do it in a trade back but would be ecstatic with one at 19.

Get back to dominating time of possession. Allow our Oline to remain solid should Martin leave next year. Help out our defense by keeping them off the field and getting the other offense out of sync.

Give Zeke more room to operate- Dak more time to throw.

And whoever mentioned the fact that we are going up against the most dominant D-line in football against the Eagles makes a great point.

LG is a need, and would help out this team greatly. And someone correct me if I’m wrong but it’s been three years since we even drafted an o-linemen correct???

My thoughts very much echo your own.

While I'd love to make another "Travis Fredrick move" and trade down and still get a top offensive lineman, if they stayed put and took him at #19 to ensure they got their man, I wouldn't complain.

I don't think there's a bigger hole in the starting lineup anywhere on the team, and certainly nowhere where the player would come in and play anywhere close to the same number of snaps.

And so I'd rather get one of the best at an area of clear need than "just get one later".

cowboyec

Reaction score
And he is only 20 years old. That’s a big deal.
I just think he is incredibly talented.
don't think he will be our pick but I think he is being considered and we could do worse.
wouldn't be surprised if Ravens take him at 16.