If Cowboys take OL at 19

Billyd

Reaction score
Id like to see Payne or Vee at 19 or trade down for a later 1 and 2..Cowboys have no starting gd, unless they move collins, which i think is a mistake..Continuity is why you could go later in draft for gd right now..Plus I think its wiser to keep Flemming as swing..MARTIN the guy they picked up is Depth. SO you need to think about the quality you need at guard..If you draft one that needs more dev, then you looking at last year again. Dont have to take at one, but you may not find it at fifty either..

Billyd

Reaction score
It would be utterly stupid imo.
If that happens then all our offensive coaches need firing because if you cant make an OL work with 3 all pros, another 1st round talent plus A.N other then you aint with crap.
Putting that much draft capital into 1 position is nonsensical. And it would guarantee more epic defensive failures when we haven't got playmakers there to stop drives when it matters

Guess what...That hapenned last season..And Linehan was about worthy..They should have addressed guard/tackle last year 2017 in the draft..It isnt hindsight either. THEY knew that was coming..I dont think they expected Free to retire but Frees feet were wasted, and im sure getting Romo crunched in preseason didnt help his guilt either!

Billyd

Reaction score
It would be utterly stupid imo.
If that happens then all our offensive coaches need firing because if you cant make an OL work with 3 all pros, another 1st round talent plus A.N other then you aint with crap.
Putting that much draft capital into 1 position is nonsensical. And it would guarantee more epic defensive failures when we haven't got playmakers there to stop drives when it matters

BRO, they dont need any help or direction in fing up the defense..See Round two last three seasons...Its more than just Getting a gd for this year..Further the oline is the skill position on this team..Dont get me wrong..i want the d rebuild done..Or at least 95%.. As well as they have drafted, Dline has been a tooth pull.Lbrs getting that way as well..

kskboys

Reaction score
Guess what...That hapenned last season..And Linehan was about worthy..They should have addressed guard/tackle last year 2017 in the draft..It isnt hindsight either. THEY knew that was coming..I dont think they expected Free to retire but Frees feet were wasted, and im sure getting Romo crunched in preseason didnt help his guilt either!
This FO has a history of not seeing stuff coming, unfortunately. I'll never forget when they were absolutely taken by surprise when asked about the DL need prior to the 2012 draft. They seriously hadn't even considered it.

My best guess is that they focus completely on two things concerning the OL"

1. Ability to block at the 2nd level
2. Position flex

Now, don't get me wrong, both of those are good things to look at when drafting. However, if an OL lacks core strength and balance, he's just not going to cut it. And for those who aren't sure of what it is, core strength basically means natural strength. Costa lacked core strength, which is why he didn't make it. Both Sam Young and James Marten(a Tuna pick in 07) lacked balance/agility.

We really need to look at strength and agility first, and then those other things.

Billyd

Reaction score
I agree..But whoever blew it on Green should have left with the rest of them..I dont think that was McClay either..

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree..But whoever blew it on Green should have left with the rest of them..I dont think that was McClay either..
Green was a late round talent. Taking him in the 3rd ranks right up there w/ taking Esco in the 2nd. Just did not make any sense whatsoever.

Billyd

Reaction score
THIS flat out refusal to even draft the size one tech you need is a head scratcher..You can not set the ends with a 280-290 pound one tech..Maybe it works at the three tech, But i want 310 on both my tackles min, Pref 325 at one tech!

Billyd

Reaction score
I went nuts when they did that in the nfc east groups..That pick should have been dhelp or a rb..There were several good ones right there. Remember Jay? Right there lol.

RandyOh

Reaction score
if you total the official 30,private workouts and dallas day guys...most of them are 3rd Rd'ers or later.
seems like they are more interested in depth/potential starters.
cant rule out 1 at 19.....but they seem to like Lee,Jaylon and Wilson as starters and want better depth.
maybe Im wrong.
Hitch was a 4th Rd pick I think.
I wouldnt be surprised if we dont address it til the 3rd or 4th.
unless we take one at 19 obviously.
After the main 4, their are only 3 names that really stick out in Leonard, Jefferson, and Jewell. After that their was none left worth using a visit on. The rest are Jags.

I think the best combo of players (in no particular order) is LB, DT, LG with our 1st 3 picks.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
THIS flat out refusal to even draft the size one tech you need is a head scratcher..You can not set the ends with a 280-290 pound one tech..Maybe it works at the three tech, But i want 310 on both my tackles min, Pref 325 at one tech!

Takes more than weight, Cowboys have had on the roster, in the last few years:

Richard Ash - 320 lbs
Gerald Dixon - 325 lbs
Amobe Okoye - 310 lbs.
Jarron Jones - 320 lbs.
Daniel Ross - 310 lbs.
Brian Price - 318 lbs.

None set the league on fire. And the 1 tech lines up off the shoulder of the center, he's not a nose tackle, that is there to suck up a double team. The 1 tech in a 4-3 needs to be able to rush the passer as well as control the run, so be sure your "1 tech" player has more than just size...

Billyd

Reaction score
I have no issue with that, as long as you can get a gd of value in the third...My research seems,to indicate their value drops middle of second..Im no analyst..lol..

Billyd

Reaction score
TRUE, but it at least takez that..Colins is 310 at three tech and Crawford cant stay healthy..I recognize the skills for the 1tech and three are diff.What i dont care for is the way the Cowboys use some ambiguous way of valuing their DTs..MARINELLI gets what he can out of them, But they kiss alot of frogs to duet!

Billyd

Reaction score
YEA i like That Raw kid that tore it up in the combine and Settle..The linebackers are there, as long as you can deal with either taking at 19 or recognizing that only SMITH, and Edmonds have first round value..Eshe is over hyped, unless a coach thinks they can fix..Thats a good example of size not making a NFL ready LBR!

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
YEA i like That Raw kid that tore it up in the combine and Settle..The linebackers are there, as long as you can deal with either taking at 19 or recognizing that only SMITH, and Edmonds have first round value..Eshe is over hyped, unless a coach thinks they can fix..Thats a good example of size not making a NFL ready LBR!

Don't think you can just take the "safe" pick all the time, while drafting J. Smith and Taco when they did was too much of a reach, taking a chance on some kid with the raw talent isn't bad strategy all the time. Like Vander Esch, only 1 year of starting experience, but the size and other measurables could mean a real gem...

jnday

Reaction score
Defense wins. sone of you dont get it.
With the salary cap, you can't have a great defense and offense. The oline keeps the defense off the field and well rested. Should we give up on having the best oline in the league to give Marinelli more players that he can't do anything with ?