If Dak can't throw, how do you explain 2016?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The problem isn't his throwing it is his lack of confidence and inability to anticipate the throws.

He is never going to be the most accurate QB, but in 2016 he was playing on instinct and letting the ball go.

That is why I would like to see them speed things up offensively, he is clearly thinking too much instead of reading and reacting.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If dak can't throw, how do you explain 2016?

If zeke was a crutch for dak in 2016, how do you explain week 1?
Dak got destroyed in the falcons game and mentally I am not sure he has or will recover. I thought he was a gamer. I am not giving up on him yet. He needs to get his confidence and swag back. Only way to do that is play. If this continues for half the season then I pull him. Season will be over let’s see how Rush does. Or White. Next season will start the long search. I thought we caught lightning in a bottle and got lucky. NO ONE can deny his rookie season and say it was a fluke. You don’t have fluke season like his. Kid broke records held for a long time for rookie QBs.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Dak -
Has happy feet
Has a tendency to wilt under pressure
Is not running for yardage as much as he should
Won't go deep as much as he should and also has a tendency to hold the ball too long
This isn't even getting into his tendency to air mail or throw passes at receivers' feet

Guess that QB camp he went to in the off-season didn't help

CapnCook

Reaction score
2016 Dak got buried under 2017 Chaz Green and is now 2018 Dak (so far)

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Ah, so Zeke needs a great QB to be effective?

Not really. the years old logic has been that if you don't have a running game, then defenses can take away the passing game, and passing teams would occasionally run the ball to keep defenses honest. The same is true with the deep ball, if you don't throw the occasional deep ball, then defenses can take away your short passing game and your running game. It's all about keeping defenses honest. Now trying to turn that into me saying that you neat a great QB for zeek to be effective, that is putting words in my mouth. A decent QB will do -- one that will throw the occasional long ball, so that if the defense decides to stack the box they will pay for it. I had said before the game, that I think that the cowboys will be very good or very bad depending on if Dak can throw the deep ball with accuracy. I didn't see any in between. I don't think any team would have success if the defense only plays two thirds of the field. That's is what you can an uneven playing field.

NickZepp

Reaction score
In 2016 teams were trying to do different coverages in an attempt to confuse Dak. They were afraid going straight man would leave him open in the QB run category so they didn't do that as much. But the fact is that Dak isn't that great a runner and teams started to realize this and our coaches started to be overly protective of him and not run him as much and so teams eventually just switched to going straight man and 8 men in the box against him and Dak can't beat teams with his arm alone. He's good at reading coverages and making plays. But he's just not able to beat teams with his arm. It takes about a year or so but eventually NFL defenses adjust to him. It's up to Dak to either get better and make the throws given to him or for him to ride the pine.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
We got lucky. Teams got tape on Dak and Zeke. Offensive line regressed. No one is afraid of our offense anymore.

That's why everyone is saying the egirls has the best OL. One when we lost Leary it started and then those guys are getting older.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Not really. the years old logic has been that if you don't have a running game, then defenses can take away the passing game, and passing teams would occasionally run the ball to keep defenses honest. The same is true with the deep ball, if you don't throw the occasional deep ball, then defenses can take away your short passing game and your running game. It's all about keeping defenses honest. Now trying to turn that into me saying that you neat a great QB for zeek to be effective, that is putting words in my mouth. A decent QB will do -- one that will throw the occasional long ball, so that if the defense decides to stack the box they will pay for it. I had said before the game, that I think that the cowboys will be very good or very bad depending on if Dak can throw the deep ball with accuracy. I didn't see any in between. I don't think any team would have success if the defense only plays two thirds of the field. That's is what you can an uneven playing field.

This offense has nothing right now. No one is doing well. And it all starts with the Oline play. Your not going to get perfect QB play from a guy that only been in the league two years with junk around him. Not going to happen. Anyone that thinks they will is just plain stupid. Now Dak is at a cross roads right now. He either needs to break out of it or he could fade forever. Its pretty clear that in Dallas, your not going to get everything you want. Offense is now in a total rebuild.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak can throw.

From the perspective of throws that Romo would have made 99 times out of 100 but that Dak missed, there was only one.

He had one miss that was a much more difficult throw than it looked on TV (long pass to Jarwin on the right side). It was about 35 yards with a right handed QB running left and a wet ball.

If you take out throws affected by extreme pressure, he had two others that were about 1 foot off target.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Because the rest of the team was so good around him that's why and you had coach Romo helping the team.

2016 was the best chance in a long time for the Cowboys to win a Super Bowl and they blew it by keeping Romo on the bench for a rookie. One of the dumbest mistakes by Garrett and Jerry and I am still mad to this day about it like I was mad about it then.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

easy. his first year in the league. strong OL and then zeke. teams didn't have tape on him or figured out how to stop dak and zeke.

then defensive coordiantors saw tape, devised a defensive plan and realized Dak is not accurate an has flaws and knew how to defend him. and it got worse from there.

dak can throw. he has a strong arm. he is just inconsistent and inaccurate.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How did RG3 and Colin Kapernick look like they were about to take over the league for 10 years? Flash in the pans happen in the NFL. Dak benefitted greatly in 2016 by simply being an unknown to opposing defenses. Nobody had tape on him and it took the league the better part of his first season to figure out his tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses. Teams simply know how to game plan him and our idiots in residence coaching the team refuse to adapt the offense.

Cap12

Reaction score
Here's some free All 22.

Watch for yourselves. Guys were open all day in the intermediate range. Mute Akoye if you don't like him, but the video evidence is there.
Decent analysis by Akoye. The plays design is pretty darn good an awful lot of the time, but Dak is not making the plays. it's right there on film. Gotta love the All 22 to put things in perspective.

Cap12

Reaction score
How did RG3 and Colin Kapernick look like they were about to take over the league for 10 years? Flash in the pans happen in the NFL. Dak benefitted greatly in 2016 by simply being an unknown to opposing defenses. Nobody had tape on him and it took the league the better part of his first season to figure out his tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses. Teams simply know how to game plan him and our idiots in residence coaching the team refuse to adapt the offense.
Can't really agree with this. If you watch the 22, it clearly shows that the play design is getting guys open a lot, but Dak is not finding them or not executing his throws. Pretty soon, you have to ask yourself who's not doing his job: Scott Linehan or Dak Prescott. Let's face it: By year 3 Dak should be a lot further along than he showed in the Panthers game. This is especially true because how weak theri secondary is. When will the excuses end?