If Dak dominates like he did in 2019 does Dallas trade Dalton?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ill say this, if they come out of preseason feeling good about Thorson or even DiNucci to keep them on the roster, Id be open to moving Dalton if the opportunity arose.

You definitely arent getting a 3rd like OP suggests, but I'd be happy adding another 5th. All of this unlikely. The stars really have to align. You need a another QB to emerge as someone you feel comfortable with, and you need a team that comes into a sudden need for a QB starting experience. What makes it less likely is that Dalton would have to learn a new system in season. Remember when we had to start Weeden because Cassel wasnt ready
The chance they will feel anywhere remotely close to as good about DiNucci as Dalton coming out of training camp are very low, and I don’t even know who Thorson is. Even if they like what they see from either, would they (or you) really want to entrust the season to them if Dak gets hurt rather than entrust it to a proven veteran?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The chance they will feel anywhere remotely close to as good about DiNucci as Dalton coming out of training camp are very low, and I don’t even know who Thorson is. Even if they like what they see from either, would they (or you) really want to entrust the season to them if Dak gets hurt rather than entrust it to a proven veteran?
Clayton Thorson. Was an Eagles pick we claimed last year. Had him on the PS. He will be competing with DiNucci for a roster spot if we keep 3

For them. I dont see them going that route. Dak is durable yes, but they likely lose a shot at the playoffs if he gets hurt for even one game

Me. I'd be willing to gamble to add a pick. Especially if I can get one within the top 200. But I am also not writing the checks too lol

Qcard

Reaction score
30TDs to only 11ints and almost 5000 yards. Carrying a team with no defense and a head coach that should be a grade school gym teacher to an 8-8 record! Maybe a desperate team will send us a 3 for Andy.
Andy Dalton has zero trade value

Great backup though

morat1959

Reaction score
Nice. It's nice to have a quality backup, but Dak is extremely durable and the fact that Andy is only on a 1 year deal, might make him easier to trade. Less commitment.
Dak will be the backup before the end of the season. Mark it.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so? If a team needs a QB during the season, they need a qb..
Nope. I'd rather keep him as a backup, unless we start out 0-6. If that happens and Dak didn't sign a long term deal, Andy would be starting. If Dak does sign a long-term deal, and we start poorly, we aren't benching Dak. Then, we might trade him. Damn!!!! My head hurts now!!! Lol

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
You don’t think he is a strong backup QB for the team to have?
I'd rather save the $3 - $7 million and roll with the new guy as back up. Let him sink or swim if he is thrust into action. I have zero confidence in Andy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
30TDs to only 11ints and almost 5000 yards. Carrying a team with no defense and a head coach that should be a grade school gym teacher to an 8-8 record! Maybe a desperate team will send us a 3 for Andy.
Dalton is on a one year deal

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Dalton is here to backup and for me I like having a vet QB who can come in at a moments notice and not be overwhelmed by things he has not seen before.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton is here to backup and for me I like having a vet QB who can come in at a moments notice and not be overwhelmed by things he has not seen before.
That's the entire point of a veteran backup and why Dalton is on the team, so I'm not sure why the OP thinks that would change if Dak plays well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's the entire point of a veteran backup and why Dalton is on the team, so I'm not sure why the OP thinks that would change if Dak plays well.

I think it was more of a sarcastic post to respond to the what if Dak struggles thread. One thing that amazes me is how anti Cowboys this sight really is. It is one thing to say you don't feel Dak has what it takes to lead this team to a championship but around here people feel the need to rip into him with no mercy. Bad things said and written by the media like ESPN about the Cowboys pales in comparison to what is said right here by so called Cowboy fans. It is funny when people complain what some reporter said when much worse is said around here. I think it is more important to people to have their views proven right than it is for this team and this QB to succeed.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If DeNucci and Thorson look decent, and if a team has an injury at QB. Then could be a possibility.
But otherwise I think they keep Dalton, for only $3 million, he is a great insurance policy if Dak has to miss any time. So to give that up, it would have to be a 2nd or 3rd for sure.

GMO415

Reaction score
If the rookie is showing signs of "greatness" yeah I would. Especially if a starter on another tram goes down. Imagine getting a 1st for Dalton.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Not sure what this means. Are you talking about trading Dalton this season since he's only on a one-year deal?

If so, the reason he is here is to give us a quality backup if something were to happen to Dak. He wasn't signed to be competition, so his role is just as important now as it was before Dak signed his tender.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If the rookie is showing signs of "greatness" yeah I would. Especially if a starter on another tram goes down. Imagine getting a 1st for Dalton.

That's going to be difficult to determine, especially in a shortened offseason. It's hard enough to determine if signs of "greatness" for a rookie backup QB are because of the competition he's facing or because he truly has "it." Sometimes QBs we think may have it as rookies get exposed the more we see them.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Like what you did there.....