If Dak hits open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40m+ per year?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The Colts traded for Wentz, in case you didn’t hear.
It would be extremely out of character for Belichik to sign Dak to 40 large.

Belichick paid Brady top dollar when he was 29 14 years ago. There is no evidence of what he would do with an under 30 QB of Daks talent in FA without a franchise QB.

We have seen him pay top dollar for targeted FA at other positions.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Highly unlikely anyone trades for Garoppolo since his contract is toxic. Teams will wait for the 49ers to cut him. 49ers don’t want to pay him his contract of around $27M.

The Jags are taking Lawrence. The Jets will keep Darnold and/or draft a QB at pick #2 or with their 2nd round pick.

Yes, a healthy Dak is better than Brissett and Garappolo but is Dak healthy? He can’t even pass a physical before the draft. And Dak costs a lot more than those two. So is Dak worth the extra $25-30M/year. Not in my opinion.

Your opinion is meaningless. Your bias is obvious.

And while he cannot pass a physical that does not mean there is no prognosis.

Or the Jets could do something different. . . .

You sure like your self serving assumptions.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The bus driver will be offered up to 25 mil by GMs with big smiles and promises of a new start, endorsements and incentives.
If this year's draft didn't have so many prospect Dal could command much quid.
If I were Dak I'd wait for Jerry to cave, take my $40 mil and be happy.

Hollah, blokes!

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you extend a QB after his rookie deal you are pretty much making an educated guess. Unless its a guy like Mahomes with lots of early success.

But to answer your last questions...............Yes we can win with Dak if we improve the defense. And NO, a better option isnt available.

And how do you improve the defense with no cap money? We haven't won with Dak and there is no reason to think that's going to change paying him 40X more. Philly, Seattle, and LA had tougher decisions extending Wentz, Goff, and Wilson, b/c those teams had been to Super Bowls. We haven't sniffed one.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And how do you improve the defense with no cap money? We haven't won with Dak and there is no reason to think that's going to change paying him 40X more. Philly, Seattle, and LA had tougher decisions extending Wentz, Goff, and Wilson, b/c those teams had been to Super Bowls. We haven't sniffed one.

How do you improve the defense? You really dont know?

-Draft
-Better coaching
-Full offseason
-Maturation of young players

What do you mean we havent won under Dak? Did you forget the first 3 seasons? 13-3, 9-7, 11-6 with two playoff appearances.

Is your analysis that Dak is the issue or the offense is the problem?

So you dont know how teams improve other than FA and you cant analyze what the strengths and weaknesses of our team are? You sound like the game of football confuses you and your one of those QB challenged fans that blames everything on the QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

100%

Paying Dak is just stacking the odds completely against us and will keep us mediocre.

His contract will not get the blame though and the players around him will get the blame.

Just like it did with... Romo....

Then the same people applauding the signing of the QB by Jerry will also be blaming him for not putting enough around him.

When Jerry signs us into mediocrity there will be a lot of fans applauding while it happens.

^^^ That post will age like a fine wine.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Dak hired Todd France June 2018
https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article213809819.html

Jerry Jones said a deal was imminent September 2019
https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2019/09/09/dak-prescott-jerry-jones-new-deal-imminent-cowboys

I was trying to establish the timeline as well because this is the first I've heard of a deal with Guerriero. I'm not sure how that even makes sense if Todd France was hired before Dak could even negotiate a new deal. France was hired June 2018 and Dak wouldn't have been at the end of his third year till after the end of the 2018 season. Do you have a link for that?

So all of this tracks. Guerriero and Jones, apparently had a deal in principle, before he got fired and replaced by Prescott. I mean, I don't really understand what the confusion is. It's no different, at all, then the deal reported by Rapaport. What is it that you are confused about?

I don't have a link for the talk around Guerriero and his reported deal, in principle. I mean, maybe there was one 4 years ago but I don't have it. I heard it discussed, for the first time, in a podcast years ago but IDK.

But I mean, it would make sense that Jones and Guerriero might have had something outlined in 2018. It would have been a season away, before the team could resign Dak so that's a reasonable expectation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree with you to some extent. I was just answering the original question. That said, since it has been documented that the Cowboys purposely structured contracts with restructuring options that could create up to 92 million in cap space, I don’t see any QB’s salary as a deterrent to rebuilding a defense. The defense needs to be rebuilt via the draft, in my opinion, but the Cowboys could sign 1-2 key players if those players are allowed to actually reach free agency. The problem, as we’ve seen, is that even when the Cowboys have money under the cap, they now prefer to leave it unused rather than spend it on stars in free agency. I wish they’d bring in a couple established players in FA, but unless they change their recent intrenched philosophy, it looks like the draft is the only way to build the defense.

I don't see how you could do this with a Dak contract, since he seems to be addiment that his contract not be longer then 3 or 4 years. If you have a decrease in the cap for a good two years, you have a 100 mil plus in Guaranteed salary, how do you restructure or save with that type of deal? I mean, do the math on that and you quickly see that there is no room for savings or relief. It's an "out of the frying pan, into the fryer" type deal. I just don't see how you would accomplish that over the next few years.

I don't know how they would get to 92 mil but I'm guessing that if they could do that, it would be untenable once all those moves were made.

JMO

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you improve the defense? You really dont know?

-Draft
-Better coaching
-Full offseason
-Maturation of young players

What do you mean we havent won under Dak? Did you forget the first 3 seasons? 13-3, 9-7, 11-6 with two playoff appearances.

Is your analysis that Dak is the issue or the offense is the problem?

So you dont know how teams improve other than FA and you cant analyze what the strengths and weaknesses of our team are? You sound like the game of football confuses you and your one of those QB challenged fans that blames everything on the QB.

I could care less what happened 3 years ago. What has Dallas accomplished in 5 years with Dak? 1 wild card win and some regular season glory. Thats a mighty low bar that isn't acceptable in Philly or LA or Seattle. Why should that suffice in Dallas?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I could care less what happened 3 years ago. What has Dallas accomplished in 5 years with Dak? 1 wild card win and some regular season glory. Thats a mighty low bar that isn't acceptable in Philly or LA or Seattle. Why should that suffice in Dallas?

You say you care about winning, but dont care when we did win? Sounds like an agenda to me.

There are only 5 QB's in NFL history where his team has won 40 games in his first 4 years. Dak is one of them.

How much success did you expect with Garrett as our HC and with our defense? Again, you seem to struggle with basic football fundamentals and analysis.

Dak plays offense, doesnt play defense.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You say you care about winning, but dont care when we did win? Sounds like an agenda to me.

There are only 5 QB's in NFL history where his team has won 40 games in his first 4 years. Dak is one of them.

How much success did you expect with Garrett as our HC and with our defense? Again, you seem to struggle with basic football fundamentals and analysis.

Dak plays offense, doesnt play defense.

Im laughing b/c you think we have won something. Debate over. I can't argue with every moron on the board.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Im laughing b/c you think we have won something. Debate over. I can't argue with every moron on the board.

You cant argue at all the be honest. I think even the morons of the board would make you look stupid.

Any fool can cry about not winning a championship. Is that all you got?

Did you expect this collection of players and coaches to be winning championships the last 5 years? LOL

Talk about moron. :lmao::lmao::laugh::laugh::laugh:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When have we ever not been surprised at how much teams will pay? Didn't that already happen with Watt?

dckid

Reaction score
If Dak were to hit the open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40+ MM / year? I'm not sure other teams are that high on him
There are plenty of dumb teams out there. See the Vikings, Rams, Eagles, anyone who paid Sam Bradford.
I would trade Dak, and the real only way is to transition tag him so we get a couple of picks.
I would even sign Fitzpatrick as a stop gap along with drafting a young guy. Try to zig when the league is Zagging.
Be the smart team for once over the past 26 years.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
So all of this tracks. Guerriero and Jones, apparently had a deal in principle, before he got fired and replaced by Prescott. I mean, I don't really understand what the confusion is. It's no different, at all, then the deal reported by Rapaport. What is it that you are confused about?

I don't have a link for the talk around Guerriero and his reported deal, in principle. I mean, maybe there was one 4 years ago but I don't have it. I heard it discussed, for the first time, in a podcast years ago but IDK.

But I mean, it would make sense that Jones and Guerriero might have had something outlined in 2018. It would have been a season away, before the team could resign Dak so that's a reasonable expectation.

I am confused as to how you came to the conclusion that Dak was never going to sign a contract unless it was a three year deal. Any deal on the verge of completion in September 2019 would have been at least a five year deal. Jerry Jones couldn't have been talking about the Guerriero contract in 2019 because France would have been negotiating for over a year by then. So if that is the case it would have been three times Dak was close to a deal. One with Guerriero in principal in 2018, once with France before the start of the 2019 season, and the $35 million x 5 year deal Dak almost signed before the deadline July 2020.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am confused as to how you came to the conclusion that Dak was never going to sign a contract unless it was a three year deal. Any deal on the verge of completion in September 2019 would have been at least a five year deal. Jerry Jones couldn't have been talking about the Guerriero contract in 2019 because France would have been negotiating for over a year by then. So if that is the case it would have been three times Dak was close to a deal. One with Guerriero that was before an extension could even be signed, once with France before the start of the 2019, and the $35 million x 5 year deal Dak almost signed before the deadline July 2020.

You need to go back and read this thread. I'm answering questions that have already been asked and answered once. The CBA was prior to the TV deal. Initially, that drove the duration of the contract because, Dak and France wanted to double dip on that. That's why the contract was never ever 5 years. That went by the boards because Dak got Franchised, rather then signed.

so, for the record, nobody ever said anything about the duration or even the terms of what was discussed or negotiated with Guerriero. I don't know what was discussed with that contract but who cares? The minute Dak fired him and replaced him with France, none of it mattered. We discussed the timing of all of this in earlier posts. Yes, it would have had to have been referring to discussion that would have been done in 2019/20, the second time Dak, reportedly walked away from a deal.

So yes, assuming the reporting is correct, there would have been one occasion where Guerriero would have negotiated the terms of a new deal, prior to being able to sign, which makes sense, but got fired before it could be exectued. There would have been one in early 2020 because it was the first three games of that season that changed the negotiation and the numbers demanded from the Dak side and then the story about running out of time. So yes, if you want to say that there were three, that would be accurate. I would say two and then the whole run out of time thing because technically, they didn't walk away there, they just gave the excuse that they ran out of time but honestly, that story doesn't hold water IMO. But that's just me.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You need to go back and read this thread. I'm answering questions that have already been asked and answered once. The CBA was prior to the TV deal. Initially, that drove the duration of the contract because, Dak and France wanted to double dip on that. That's why the contract was never ever 5 years. That went by the boards because Dak got Franchised, rather then signed.

so, for the record, nobody ever said anything about the duration or even the terms of what was discussed or negotiated with Guerriero. I don't know what was discussed with that contract but who cares? The minute Dak fired him and replaced him with France, none of it mattered. We discussed the timing of all of this in earlier posts. Yes, it would have had to have been referring to discussion that would have been done in 2019/20, the second time Dak, reportedly walked away from a deal.

So yes, assuming the reporting is correct, there would have been one occasion where Guerriero would have negotiated the terms of a new deal, prior to being able to sign, which makes sense, but got fired before it could be exectued. There would have been one in early 2020 because it was the first three games of that season that changed the negotiation and the numbers demanded from the Dak side and then the story about running out of time. So yes, if you want to say that there were three, that would be accurate. I would say two and then the whole run out of time thing because technically, they didn't walk away there, they just gave the excuse that they ran out of time but honestly, that story doesn't hold water IMO. But that's just me.

I don't really buy that they ran out of time either. I think they were just saving face. I think Jerry Jones should have been more proactive in getting a deal done before the start of the 2019 season. Being able to frontload part of the cap hit into the 2019 season was too valuable.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Belichick paid Brady top dollar when he was 29 14 years ago. There is no evidence of what he would do with an under 30 QB of Daks talent in FA without a franchise QB.

We have seen him pay top dollar for targeted FA at other positions.
No, not really

Brady's deal that year was nowhere near the top in the league.
In fact, even though Brady's contract was "next up" Peyton Manning was still making nearly 40% more per year than Brady after Brady's new deal..

You can find plenty of other good examples, but New England and Brady are not one of them.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't really buy that they ran out of time either. I think they were just saving face. I think Jerry Jones should have been more proactive in getting a deal done before the start of the 2019 season. Being able to frontload part of the cap hit into the 2019 season was too valuable.

I would tend to agree. They do not want to look as though they are holding out for FA . I don't know how active or inactive Jerry might have been but I know this. If Dak and France never intended to sign a long term deal, it wouldn't have mattered what Jerry did. I mean, outside of giving them the kind of deal that would have killed this teams cap, long term, I just don't believe Jerry could have really done anything much.

That's just my opinion though.