If Dak hits open market this year, does anyone think he would get 40m+ per year?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Lol Alex Smith...have you watched football since 2018? It’s not even guaranteed he’s going to play football ever again, let alone at a high level

Did you even read that post or at least try and comprehend what that poster said? smh

Flamma

Reaction score
read his response again. wilson is better. but will the team be better.....will the team become championship team? and on top of that giving up valuable 1st round picks that you need to build a defense and gaining 4M on the cap....should I say woohoo!!! or whoopdidoo!!

The answer would be no IMHO. The only thing Wilson would give is considerable less cap hits over the next 3 years. And whatever talent advantage he has. But like you said, it's hard to rebuild the defense if you just gave away your premium picks. And Wilson will be asking for a nice extension just two years from now. That doesn't look like a good scenario to me.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
i think WFT will be all over Dak if he becomes available..... 54M is a lot of cap room to have and they can structure it to push the money into the future to get passed 2021 cap limitations.

I wish I had the problems they do, like having to sign the DL to long term deals which is not up for another couple of years...

Payne and Jonathan Allen are UFAs in 2022. Sweat is an UFA in 2023. According to OTC.

You think Payne and Allen are going not see that big pile of money and not want a big chunk, like $20M/year? They want their extension now. Do the Skins lock them up this year or wait a year when the price is higher?

Like I said, that $54M can be eaten up pretty quickly. Lock both Payne and Allen up long term this year and that is $20M cap hit ($10M each) off the $54M. Draft picks take another $10M off the $54M. Need to keep $4M for emergency. That leaves $20M. Scherff wants paid, so that is another $10M cap hit.

$10M left of the $54M and the WFT hasn’t touched Kerrigan or addressed WR, TE, or secondary. And they have Heineken as QB.

I am not envious of WFT and their $54M. They have some tough decisions. I hope Payne and Allen play hardball and holdout. Why wouldn’t they? Don’t get the long term deal, don’t show up until day 1 of season or later to get the one year service.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Really, That is what you really think, marginally? You, counselor are losing your marbles!
That's my opinion of Wilson. He's a good QB but not draft picks better than Prescott. He has to have a run game, just like Prescott. He has to have weapons, just like Prescott. He has to have a defense, just like Prescott has never had.

Wilson mastered that deep bucket ball and has a 6'4" gazelle for a WR that is the matchup nightmare in the NFL along with Hill because of his speed.

As far as the downside of a QB, prone to make mistakes. I will take Prescott over Wilson all day, every day.

The other part of this is the last thing this team, challenged to fill in a team beyond the 1st round, needs to do is give up 1st rounders.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
That's my opinion of Wilson. He's a good QB but not draft picks better than Prescott. He has to have a run game, just like Prescott. He has to have weapons, just like Prescott. He has to have a defense, just like Prescott has never had.

Wilson mastered that deep bucket ball and has a 6'4" gazelle for a WR that is the matchup nightmare in the NFL along with Hill because of his speed.

As far as the downside of a QB, prone to make mistakes. I will take Prescott over Wilson all day, every day.

The other part of this is the last thing this team, challenged to fill in a team beyond the 1st round, needs to do is give up 1st rounders.

I would not give up draft picks for Wilson, but he cannot carry Dak's jock, you know that as well as many do...come on, man! (a quote from you know who in office)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Payne and Jonathan Allen are UFAs in 2022. Sweat is an UFA in 2023. According to OTC.

You think Payne and Allen are going not see that big pile of money and not want a big chunk, like $20M/year? They want their extension now. Do the Skins lock them up this year or wait a year when the price is higher?

Like I said, that $54M can be eaten up pretty quickly. Lock both Payne and Allen up long term this year and that is $20M cap hit ($10M each) off the $54M. Draft picks take another $10M off the $54M. Need to keep $4M for emergency. That leaves $20M. Scherff wants paid, so that is another $10M cap hit.

$10M left of the $54M and the WFT hasn’t touched Kerrigan or addressed WR, TE, or secondary. And they have Heineken as QB.

I am not envious of WFT and their $54M. They have some tough decisions. I hope Payne and Allen play hardball and holdout. Why wouldn’t they? Don’t get the long term deal, don’t show up until day 1 of season or later to get the one year service.
that's 2 years from now and you are saying they will forgo a franchise QB because two years from now they have to redo contracts for two other players....

and cap average and annual hit on the salary cap is different......you have said as much yourself with Mahomes average of 45M, but cap hits much smaller...

now all of a sudden its a problem with WFT because you want to argue they have 54M on the cap and they are in cap trouble. lets not forget the cap is going up significantly in 2023 and beyond, so money very easily could be pushed to those years.

they are in better shape (outside of QB issue) than we are.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not give up draft picks for Wilson, but he cannot carry Dak's jock, you know that as well as many do...come on, man! (a quote from you know who in office)
I do not agree, there is not that much difference in the two QB's, imo. Let them switch teams for the last 5 years and see the comparison then.

And I think you meant that jock carrying just the opposite; however, Prescott is a much larger person than Wilson so maybe you got that right.

There is another part of this for me. I don't want any damned QB that whines to the media. "Mommy, she hit me. Make her stop". He's getting paid 35M to play a freakin' game and the name of that game for the D is 'let's meet at the QB". Wilson's a Russy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that's 2 years from now and you are saying they will forgo a franchise QB because two years from now they have to redo contracts for two other players....

and cap average and annual hit on the salary cap is different......you have said as much yourself with Mahomes average of 45M, but cap hits much smaller...

now all of a sudden its a problem with WFT because you want to argue they have 54M on the cap and they are in cap trouble. lets not forget the cap is going up significantly in 2023 and beyond, so money very easily could be pushed to those years.

Any team that has that front 7 is in better shape than 90% of the teams. Their solution is simple, get a trigger man. The Cowboys need half of a defense and that's with keeping everyone that's up and they will not do that. They lost ground in 2020 and will most likely do that in 2021 as well on the D side.

That's why I've no problem if they take Pitts at 10. They're going only as far as the O will take them so make it even better.

Flamma

Reaction score
Any team that has that front 7 is in better shape than 90% of the teams. Their solution is simple, get a trigger man. The Cowboys need half of a defense and that's with keeping everyone that's up and they will not do that. They lost ground in 2020 and will most likely do that in 2021 as well on the D side.

That's why I've no problem if they take Pitts at 10. They're going only as far as the O will take them so make it even better.

LOL!! That's great. We probably both sound like maniacs but I see the logic too. Try to be the late 70s to early 80s Chargers. Is that bum Fred Dean asking for more money? Get him off the team. To the determent of the Cowboys.

DFWJC

Reaction score
There is not a team in the NFL that would give up two 1's for The Dak...don't make jokes like this.
"1st rounders" are not all the same...as I think you know.

Draft value-wise (as crazy as it seems at times)

• The 4th overall pick in 2021 is worth THREE 2021 picks in the 28-32 range
  • A mid/early 2021 2nd round pick is worth a mid 2022 1st round pick
So, someone could trade this year's 1st and 2nd and, on paper, it would be like trading this year's and next year's 1st rounders (2 1st rounders)

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

Payne and Allen are UFAs next year. Does WFT extend them now or wait until next year? Don't you think both Payne and Allen want paid right now? Do you think they want to take the risk of getting injured like Dak without a long term contract? I could see both holding out this year. And they both want Mack/Donald/Lawrence/Cox money. And guess what happens if Allen and Payne hold out this year and you just signed Dak to a monster contract? Welcome to up crap creek without a paddle.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No sooner than they regret signing the DE, RB, WR and LB.

The question is was Prescott playing like a 40M QB last season? He was on a record pace and the team was 1-3 but that was the team, not him. He kept firing and was easily worth that 31.4M and had he not been injured, are there any doubts the Cowboys win the East?

The question is he worth 40M is simple. Of course he is. The question is he worth that to a team with the other contracts they have in place is a far different question. JAX and NYJ could easily pay him 40M and still add marquis FA's. The Cowboys will do well to even keep what they have paying him the 37.7M tag.

If you like going 8-8 then sure he looked really good against bad defenses didn't he. The real question is can you build around Dak while he makes 40 mil a year...not if the cap is 180...maybe when it reaches 220...and then he'll want a new contract and we can start over yay us.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I have thought about that, taking Pitts. given our history of bad defensive picks in the first round, do we now become gun shy and avoid a defensive player or do we just move forward. this team stays competitive with an offense. so the question is how much better does Pitts make this team. keep in mind there is only so many offensive plays per game. with pollard, zeke getting touches, there is what? 30-35 passes to split between Cooper, CD, Gallup, Pitts, Schultz, Jarwin and Pollard....so Pitts catches will come at the cost of others....so the impact maybe 2,3 points per game. is that enough? not sure. the thought of it is exciting, but if we don't fix this defense, we are not going far anywhere....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you like going 8-8 then sure he looked really good against bad defenses didn't he. The real question is can you build around Dak while he makes 40 mil a year...not if the cap is 180...maybe when it reaches 220...and then he'll want a new contract and we can start over yay us.
what do you mean build around Dak? are you saying we should build a defense through FA? and not sign Dak. given drop off in QB play, is the defensive players available enough to compensate for that? we saw first hand the huge drop off in play from Dak to Dalton, so unless you think we can sign several high priced FA and hope the defense can then carry the team, I am not sure if that's a wise idea. plus if we pay Dak, is there anyone on defense you like to pay and you can't as a result?