If Dak improves his deep ball is he the best QB in the league?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There is nothing fantasy about having the third best win loss record over three years and those being your first three years. And his most recent performance, he was the only bright spot and nearly overcame a blowout. Having the Cowboys in position to win the game with 2 and a half minutes to play. You must live a sad life. A lot of hot air. To think you are a fan.
Dak wasn't terrible against the Rams, but I wouldn't call him a "bright spot". If not for a very fortunate drop of an easy interception, we may not have been within reach by the third quarter.
He did have some passes dropped as well, but most QBs do, in any game.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I saw they guy step up into the pocket and throw some strikes last few games. He’s improved but he has a long way to go. Not sure he can process it fast enough to move to next level
The thing is he always does this but never consistently and that's the problem. He does just enough to keep some hooked and others like myself see this as a replaceable skill set. He isn't trash but avg enough for me if they Alex Smith'd him I won't be mad after next season though I seriously doubt that will happen.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Why are you even here? Little of what you do is anything other than bash Dak. He is already good as proven by his win loss record, third in the league, for a third year quarterback that is phenomenal. Of course he needs to work on things, he is an infant in terms of the timeline of quarterbacks historically. He is way ahead of the curve compared to 90 percent of quarterbacks ever in the league.
Win loss record isn't a flipping qb stat. How do y'all keep parroting that poo?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Prolly cuz' it is a obvious positive of visual confirmation, any fan can discern,Philo_O
But it's a team stat, not just a QB stat. If someone wants to attribute wins and losses to the QB, I guess it's Dak's fault we're not going to the SB. :grin:

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
someone said he has 5 years to show what he can do. I'm assuming he gets a mega contract (so 7 years by my definition, lets not talk how much per year) in the offseason, meaning he has 2 years left before he reaches 5 years played. And we're stuck with what we know at that point for another 5 years.

He hasn’t even been offered an extension yet. QBs typically take 5-7 years to reach full potential so we are still in the early stages of his development...

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
But it's a team stat, not just a QB stat. If someone wants to attribute wins and losses to the QB, I guess it's Dak's fault we're not going to the SB. :grin:
Of course win loss is a team stat. The point is as the leader of this team, they have been very successful. I would argue the whole team rises to the occasion because of his leadership. I mentioned the things I think he needs to work on. There are plenty of stats to prove his qualities. He leads the league in game winning drives over his career. It is because of his near instant chemistry with Cooper that the team went 8 and 1. He has all the ability needed and he has shown that already. The biggest thing he needs is consistency. Which is true for damn near every quarterback who has ever played. I great OC and quarterback coach would do wonders with Dak IMO

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Of course win loss is a team stat. The point is as the leader of this team, they have been very successful. I would argue the whole team rises to the occasion because of his leadership. I mentioned the things I think he needs to work on. There are plenty of stats to prove his qualities. He leads the league in game winning drives over his career. It is because of his near instant chemistry with Cooper that the team went 8 and 1. He has all the ability needed and he has shown that already. The biggest thing he needs is consistency. Which is true for damn near every quarterback who has ever played. I great OC and quarterback coach would do wonders with Dak IMO
I agree, consistency would make him a very good QB, because he's capable of making just about any throw necessary, at times. With more consistency, he wouldn't need those game winning drives, because we'd score in the first 3 quarters, not just the 4th. Get that going and we could win any game.

Aven8

Reaction score
His deep ball is fine. It’s the button hooks that need adjusting.....;)

pitt33

Reaction score
most Cowboys fans want a change at HC, while Dak is divisive. Decades of no real success will bring about negativity, especially when we are going on nearly 10 years without a change at HC.
Yeah but look at the bright side.

We could be the Bengals. Lewis had that gig nailed down going back to the Bush (old man) administration.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
Is this post for real? Dak has athletic gifts but so does Cam Newton who's a waste of talent, loser IMO. Dak has improved his footwork and his accuracy in the 2nd half of the season, his long ball is the least of my worries. Question is does he have it upstairs to process what the defense is doing post-snap in under two seconds? He doesn't right now, wake me up when he does. Brees, Brady on another level sorry homer.
Cam Newton is the best QB prospect ever.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak’s biggest passing issue is his accuracy. He misses too many open receivers. He doesn’t see the field real well. He has a tendency to throw behind receivers and balls sail on him at times. He has some great intangibles but there’s a number of things he needs to work on. I don’t see him ever becoming a good enough passer to be considered the best QB in the league but I could see him becoming a top 5 QB if his production and accuracy improve.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Biggest
Fastest
Strongest

Quarterback ever.

Yes he is.

He may be the biggest and strongest but he certainly isn’t the fastest and he isn’t close to being a great passer. The one big knock on him coming out of college was his accuracy. There’s a list of QBs that were ranked higher than Cam Newton coming out of college.

Willfreedom909

Reaction score
He may be the biggest and strongest but he certainly isn’t the fastest and he isn’t close to being a great passer. The one big knock on him coming out of college was his accuracy. There’s a list of QBs that were ranked higher than Cam Newton coming out of college.
I’m talking about in one package.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Great info thanks.

Elway isn’t nearly as physically gifted as cam though

Elway had a golden arm and could run. He carried the Broncos to three of their five Super Bowl appearances with him. Cam isn’t nearly the passer Elway and many of those other QBs were which is why he’s down on the list. Cam’s career completion percentage is under 60% and his career passer rating is only 86.4 which is not very good with the rules benefiting the passing game.