If Dak is average in 2019 and we don't come close to a Super Bowl

conner01

Reaction score
Spending a top 4 rnd pick on a QB when you extend the one you have is a wasted pick. Now if a first rnd talent fell because of a situation like Collins and he’s a big enough prospect you may get some trade value the next year. But that’s really rare
Later pick to develope is not so bad and when you are 3-4 yrs from needing a new one it’s a logical move. But we aren’t even close to that

InTheZone

Reaction score
Where would you put the money otherwise? You don't throw money at free agents anymore, you haven't brought in a legit dominant DT off the street in Jerry's entire ownership history.

If Dak is average, the Cowboys will win 8-11 games. Who was the last first round QB drafted after slot #16 that panned out to be better than Dak is playing right now at any point in his first 3 years? Bridgewater even the closest? You're basically throwing away most of Cooper's prime by doing that. It's more likely Dak ascends, against whatever odds there seems to be, than a Brandon Weeden or a Johnny Manziel or a Patrick Ramsey who wasn't worth taking as a top 15 pick ends up working out.
Hard to compare Dak to anyone since he's had such a outstanding case of players surrounding him each year he's been here. So again, if Dak is average in 2019 (2018 - 22nd in pass TDs, 23rd in yards, 2nd most sacks which should be a lot lower considering we were 21st in passing attempts) why would you be opposed to drafting a guy over dishing out a fat contract for Dak? Is it not clear Dak needs more support vs him being able to carry the team? You think we can manage just fine by doing so? You see teams with QBs like Winston, Tannehill, Bortles, Garrapolo, Carr, Flacco, Keenum, and Tyron Taylor and almost immediately regret their decision, but they stick with because they put themselves in that position. You think Dak outweighs that risk?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Spending a top 4 rnd pick on a QB when you extend the one you have is a wasted pick. Now if a first rnd talent fell because of a situation like Collins and he’s a big enough prospect you may get some trade value the next year. But that’s really rare
Later pick to develope is not so bad and when you are 3-4 yrs from needing a new one it’s a logical move. But we aren’t even close to that
Patriots seemingly do that all the time, and Dallas did it just a few years ago.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
No way they trade him or draft a qb when hes signing a fat contract this offseason!!!

TwentyOne

Reaction score
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.

If Dak is average like he was in his whole career, we wont come near a championship.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
No, I would not be opposed to drafting a new QB if Dak regresses; and I'm a Dak fan.

I'm certain his new deal will include performance-based incentives. Even then, some QB-hungry team may think they can revive him and the Cowboys could (in theory) trade him away.

The good news is, if Prescott does fall on his face, the Cowboys would own a high 1st round pick in 2020. But I don't see that happening.

75boyz

Reaction score
yes, but you're forgetting the part where we've built a team with a low salary QB. If Dak looks average and gets paid top $$$ for his position we are literally throwing away our chance at success over the next several years since he will need players to elevate him, not the other way around. If we can't afford more support how do we win?

Great Post. One of the best and most accurate summaries of "why not to pay him." Excellent example of what separates a franchise guy (a person who elevates the players around him) or game manager (guy totally dependent on a unit or individuals carrying him and he only needs not "f" it up...ie, o line, defense, running back, etc.) Dak is most definitely the game manager.

Bundle the picks, including an "extra" 2021 first if ya hafta and go all in on TUA. Wait Dak out, draft Tua, and Tua should be surrounded by freshly signed second contract core players and hungry first contract players (somewhat similar to what Dak had in '16) and let the future play out as it will.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Hard to compare Dak to anyone since he's had such a outstanding case of players surrounding him each year he's been here. So again, if Dak is average in 2019 (2018 - 22nd in pass TDs, 23rd in yards, 2nd most sacks which should be a lot lower considering we were 21st in passing attempts) why would you be opposed to drafting a guy over dishing out a fat contract for Dak? Is it not clear Dak needs more support vs him being able to carry the team? You think we can manage just fine by doing so? You see teams with QBs like Winston, Tannehill, Bortles, Garrapolo, Carr, Flacco, Keenum, and Tyron Taylor and almost immediately regret their decision, but they stick with because they put themselves in that position. You think Dak outweighs that risk?

The risk is giving up a first round talent at a need position when you’re drafting for a position you don’t technically need. You can win with an average QB making franchise money. It’s highly unlikely you win with a rookie/second year QB who wasn’t good enough to be a top 10 pick. Dak is an extremely rare exception.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.

There some people on this board, that don't care how Dak will do in 2019 -- I think -- and so are in a hurry to pay him this off season, so that we won't draft someone in the 2020 draft. I think they rather pay dak and rather fail with him, than to wait and draft someone new in 2020.

conner01

Reaction score
Patriots seemingly do that all the time, and Dallas did it just a few years ago.
Romo was close to the end when we took Dak
The patriots have done it but the reason it worked out is he got to play and expose himself
Most backups don’t

Coy

Reaction score
He's getting a 6 year deal, probably between 25 and 30 million dollars. Absolutely nothing that happens in 2019 will change that. You may not like it, but you can't dispute it.

Unfortunately this is TRUE.
I would have waited one more year tbh.

75boyz

Reaction score

Gotta give you your props on thIs one too bro, you well define your sig today! :)

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
He's getting a 6 year deal, probably between 25 and 30 million dollars. Absolutely nothing that happens in 2019 will change that. You may not like it, but you can't dispute it.

I have never been sold on the fact that he will get a deal this offseason, but if it happens the only thing that will matter will be the amount of guaranteed $$$ he gets, that will determing how soon the Cowboys could get out of the deal should they want to

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
I’m not a big Dak fan . Been very critical of his passing consistency, etc..But we can win with him. The kid brings some intangible assets. Yes, he needs elite support . The question is ; has he done enough to secure the job. Probably. Do we want more? Of course.

Then what’s our chances hitting something more in the meantime. Are we willing to take a step back if we don’t hit right away.

I think the bigger question is can we surround him with enough to get to the next level. We aren’t that far away. We’ve come pretty close to a championship appearance twice in 3 years. The unknown is much more uncertain.

Despite the criticism which much of it is deserved I think you stay with him until it goes South completely. If we’d had another 2017 season or finished off how it started in 2018 then it’d be a stronger argument.

I think we’d all prefer a more prolific QB but most would like to see how the kid develops. He’s prob shown enough not to kick him to the curb.

I have no clue how 2019 will turn out. Its a schedule against much higher quality opponents. So I wouldn't be surprised if Win/Loss stat would be much worse than average. Foles is gone, so we got nobody left but Dak for 2019. 2020 would depend on how high of a draft pick you can get. If the pick is not high enough to get someone you can build the team around, I guess you stick with Dak. If Dak totally flops, then you draft a QB in the 2020 draft. And I know some people don't think he will, and he probably won't, but given the cowboys past track record of good year, bad year, good year, bad... well it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

rags747

Reaction score
but you didn't answer my question
Yeah agreed, if no deal this year then all options are on the table as far as Im concerned. No chance in hell if you don't have a qb that can challenge a secondary. If the defense is not afraid of getting beat via the air then you will have a long day ahead of you.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
The risk is giving up a first round talent at a need position when you’re drafting for a position you don’t technically need. You can win with an average QB making franchise money. It’s highly unlikely you win with a rookie/second year QB who wasn’t good enough to be a top 10 pick. Dak is an extremely rare exception.

To me that is how you stay average. yes teams can win superbowls with average QBs. But I rather make sure to find a Franchise Guy and then build around him. I don't got faith that our organization can always surround with the talent he needs. I think keeping the offensive line elite, well just won't happen forever.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
To me that is how you stay average. yes teams can win superbowls with average QBs. But I rather make sure to find a Franchise Guy and then build around him. I don't got faith that our organization can always surround with the talent he needs. I think keeping the offensive line elite, well just won't happen forever.

But then if it fails you become a Cleveland or a buffalo desperately taking QBs every 3-4 years with your top 10 picks.