If Dak is average in 2019 and we don't come close to a Super Bowl

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
But then if it fails you become a Cleveland or a buffalo desperately taking QBs every 3-4 years with your top 10 picks.

Cleveland just might be the worst run organization in the NFL. Cowboys are badly run but nothing compared to them. There have been plenty of teams who have drafted their franchise guy and succeeded and hey, dallas does have some talent. One of the reasons Dak did so well in 2016 was that he came on board to a loaded team. Who's to say a better prospect might not do better?

SSoup

Reaction score
Ugh. In addition to the Political Warning pinned to the top of the board, this place badly needs a warning telling people to stop spamming us with their constant wet dream scenarios about what will let them run Dak out of town.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Ugh. In addition to the Political Warning pinned to the top of the board, this place badly needs a warning telling people to stop spamming us with their constant wet dream scenarios about what will let them run Dak out of town.

If there was no such note for Romo, why should there be one for Dak? This is a Cowboy's forum, and if Cowboy's fans have doubts about their Quarterback, then they should be able to express it.

DFWJC

Reaction score
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.
You just made the case why some feel they might be better served to do what most franchises do with their rookie, that is, extend them after 4 years, not 3.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Cleveland just might be the worst run organization in the NFL. Cowboys are badly run but nothing compared to them. There have been plenty of teams who have drafted their franchise guy and succeeded and hey, dallas does have some talent. One of the reasons Dak did so well in 2016 was that he came on board to a loaded team. Who's to say a better prospect might not do better?

They were the worst run organization (for at least 10-15 years) but they have turned a corner and seem to have figured it out. They are a 10 win team in 2019, maybe more

75boyz

Reaction score
maybe, but can you answer the question?

The reward of drafting that 1st rd QB, moving up and/or bundling picks in order to get him far and away outweighs any other argument opposing this choice.

It begins and ends at the QB spot in the NFL. The rare exceptions of Dilfer and Brad Johnson as SB caliber guys are rare for a reason. Don't care for the Eagles team but I loved the underdog super rare exception of Foles and his hot streak run to the championship. It is a outlier rarecexception as well.

Some here won't like it, but the Eagles choice to go and bundle picks to get their guy Wentz, will pay off in my minority opinion. (especially on this board, lol)

Did the Giants mess up choosing Saquon over Darmold?

Time Wil tell but Odell gets a year older.

I guess historically it did work out for those same Giants before when they bundled and moved up to get Eli to the tune of 2 championships.

My point is, If you have conviction on a franchise guy that your scout team fully supports, move heaven and earth to get him.Those franchise ones make everyone on the entire team better.
The Dallas Cowboys have "settled" for going on 4 years now at the most important position on the team. It's time we paired the running back receiver and Oline up with an elite talent and really watch the offense finally take off.

GenoT

Reaction score
why would you be opposed to drafting a replacement in the 2020 draft or allowing one of the current backups to get a chance to start and letting Dak walk? This is assuming he doesn't get paid this year but will be in 2020. I would really like to hear why Dak would be worth keeping at that point.
We haven’t been close to a Super Bowl in 23 years. Why should Dak take the fall for ongoing organizational failure?

75boyz

Reaction score

THIS...All day every day. He does less with more. It's comical at this point. Draft a more naturally gifted passer in the first round, watch how 3rd and 5s all of a sudden can be picked up by someone who can consistently throw with NFL accuracy and all of a sudden everybody will be scratching their head and going well maybe it wasn't ALL Linehans fault after all. (And I'm not a Linehan fan, lol!)

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
I would be opposed to it because LVE didn't work out and you didn't have a 1st rounder in 2019, so if you draft a QB in 2020 and he fails, that's 1 solid first rounder in the last 4 years, which is Cleveland Browns territory. You have a QB, fill a position you don't have.
And that is the part that makes any argument pretty much mute. But people who have more of a desire to prove just how average he is will make the argument so strongly in favor or going with an unknown just because they are a 1st rounder.

75boyz

Reaction score
We haven’t been close to a Super Bowl in 23 years. Why should Dak take the fall for ongoing organizational failure?

Organizational failure is convincing yourself that a 4th round project developmental QB who still lacks fundamental footwork mechanics, field vision and basic ability to read base defenses while entering his 4th year is the answer. Dak just happens to be the title holder of the position of said deficiencies.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

Part of it is luck. Part of it is the ability of the front office to identify the right guy. Romo fell into your lap. Dak was drafted to be a bridge backup until the real guy arrived (note: that guy was supposed to be Paxton Lynch and Johnny Manziel). The last time the Dallas Cowboys proper chose the right quarterback was in the 80’s. No one else they traded for (Drew Henson), drafted early (Quincy), or signed off the free agent market (Testaverde) worked out.

One some level it’s not fair to generalize the Dallas Cowboys has having a stigma. On the other hand, it’s been the same guy in charge that entire time.

If Andy Reid is running the show, let him draft the QB and get out of the way. When it’s Jerry picking the guy, you should be proud of what you have and work on the other positions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Part of it is luck. Part of it is the ability of the front office to identify the right guy. Romo fell into your lap. Dak was drafted to be a bridge backup until the real guy arrived (note: that guy was supposed to be Paxton Lynch and Johnny Manziel). The last time the Dallas Cowboys proper chose the right quarterback was in the 80’s. No one else they traded for (Drew Henson), drafted early (Quincy), or signed off the free agent market (Testaverde) worked out.

One some level it’s not fair to generalize the Dallas Cowboys has having a stigma. On the other hand, it’s been the same guy in charge that entire time.

If Andy Reid is running the show, let him draft the QB and get out of the way. When it’s Jerry picking the guy, you should be proud of what you have and work on the other positions.

I would add, that while it was lucky to find a QB of Romo’s caliber as an UDFA. That was actually a result of having an excellent coaching staff in place. Parcells was the HC and Sean Payton was the OC when Romo was signed and developed. It probably never happens without two excellent coaches being around to teach and train Romo.

It’s also no coincidence that this happened during the only period of time since Jimmy Johnson, when Jerry decided to put a competent head coach in place.

We are also lucky to have found Dak and that he plays as well as he does with a bum like Garrett as HC.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Dak or no Dak, this, as it stands, is NOT a super bowl caliber team.........and we have the perfect FO to see that it stays that way.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
What makes you think drafting a rookie would be better?

visionary

Reaction score

"Don't come close to a SB"

:lmao:

InTheZone

Reaction score
What makes you think drafting a rookie would be better?
please answer the question. And the rookie doesn't have to be better immediately or a 1st round pick like most are assuming, although being better at some point would be a bonus, but that's not what this is about.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score

Wouldn't know if romo just fell into our hands. Was parcell's guys back then who were evaluating talented, and Romo was a diamond in the rough, so to speak, a small school guy that you would hope to develop, which the Cowboys did. Probably no way that Romo would've been anywhere near NFL ready if he played right away. So I would still give credit to the scouts.

Anyway the draft is a lottery, and that brings to mind another saying about how winning the lottery is like the chance of being hit by lighting, but if you don't go out into the lightning storm you won't get hit. So if you are looking for a quarterback to be the franchise guy, you have to go out and look. I don't think Average is good enough if you are planning to make it ever past a division game. yeah you can try to build a nice defense, and keep the offensive line elite, but well like I said, the Giants have invested in their offensive line like the Cowboys but haven't been as good at it. I rather gamble on one finding one piece than finding many pieces to a puzzle.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have no clue how 2019 will turn out. Its a schedule against much higher quality opponents. So I wouldn't be surprised if Win/Loss stat would be much worse than average. Foles is gone, so we got nobody left but Dak for 2019. 2020 would depend on how high of a draft pick you can get. If the pick is not high enough to get someone you can build the team around, I guess you stick with Dak. If Dak totally flops, then you draft a QB in the 2020 draft. And I know some people don't think he will, and he probably won't, but given the cowboys past track record of good year, bad year, good year, bad... well it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.
I’m not clear what your conclusion or point is here?