If Dak leads the Cowboys to victory tomorrow, will he earn more respect?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Is he? Because I'm seeing a young quarterback that continues to improve.

I think he's very much like Pete's own quarterback.

In fact, check out how closely the two players stats line up over the first four years of their respective careers:

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_f...player_id2=PresDa01&p2yrfrom=2016&p2yrto=2019

I think it’s fair for people to point out that generally the largest improvements in a QB’s play typically happen through the first 4 seasons. Historically that’s the case.

However, a lot of QB’s continue to improve beyond 4 seasons. The thing is the improvement slows down and the upward trajectory tends to flatten. Though they can still make improvements, many of which come from quicker processing and decision making due to increased experience. As opposed to much increased change in their physical ability to play the position.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Tony's win over Seattle get him any respect. Only for a few days after the game, maybe for a week. Until his next INT.
Media and fans still ragged on him after that. Same will be for Dak. Though any of the media actually like Dak or seem to.

Same will be for Dak, as people do not want to admit they are wrong, not too often. And will go out of their way to make up proof they are correct or to justify their opinions.

Some may swing one way or another, or say, ok, I will see what he does from here.
One thing I am for sure, there are some on here that want him to fail. So they can be right. But one bad game, and 10 good ones, they will bring up the bad one.

So here is the narrative if Dallas wins. Besides them saying Dak did not win, the team did, or more likely, Seattle lost it.

Dak, wins and beats a 2-0 team. They will wait and wait. They will not say, hey Dak did great he beat a winning team. No, they will wait, and if Seattle finishes 7-9, they will say he beat a sub. 500 team. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it’s fair for people to point out that generally the largest improvements in a QB’s play typically happen through the first 4 seasons. Historically that’s the case.

However, a lot of QB’s continue to improve beyond 4 seasons. The thing is the improvement slows down and the upward trajectory tends to flatten. Though they can still make improvements, many of which come from quicker processing and decision making due to increased experience. As opposed to much increased change in their physical ability to play the position.

The Moose mentioned this during the game Sunday, often QB's don't get to a great level until year 6 or 7.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Not sure that I agree with this generalization.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The Moose mentioned this during the game Sunday, often QB's don't get to a great level until year 6 or 7.

I think we saw similar with Romo’s career. Earlier in his career. He put up great numbers and made amazing plays off his physical ability. As the years went on though, his decision making and ability to read the defense and command the field improved dramatically. His game changed with it.

it’s no surprise as to why his best season, 2014 was his last full year of starting before injuries ended his career.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Not sure that I agree with this generalization.

When I talk about the flattening Of their improvement, I am generally speaking about the flattening of the increase in their statistical production. Mostly.

not necessarily their overall play as a QB.

could be the nature of stats too.

it’s one thing to increase from 3800 yards per season to 4800. It’s basically impossible to increase that another 1000 to 5800.

So the QB can make the improvements in their game. You just won’t see it as glaringly on the stat sheet.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It is a question that could easily draw subjectively reasoned answers. Say Prescott has a great game Sunday and follow up with a not so great game against the Browns. Will an impression of outplaying Wilson matter long-term if ANOTHER impression suggests 'he' was outplayed by Mayfield?

Opinions are polarized among actively participating CowboysZone members concerning the team's quarterback (deja vu). Perhaps the most anyone can hope is for everyone, whether they are convinced or not convinced, to wait-and-see how both Prescott and the entire team performs all season long.

Curiosity seeking other observers willing to put themselves on the spot may simply be asking for a ticking timebomb of disapproval in the near future. Then how would a previously requested opinion of Prescott playing outstandingly compared to Wilson be remembered? Possibly not very fondly.
Dak unless he gets injured should have a big year. I don’t see a team on schedule that can handle our receivers. Maybe the Steelers and Ravens but we should move the ball at least the next 3 games. The offense needs to get in a groove. Dak can get his big contract if he continues to cook. I am concerned we might get conservative like the Rams game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I talk about the flattening Of their improvement, I am generally speaking about the flattening of the increase in their statistical production. Mostly.

not necessarily their overall play as a QB.

Fair enough, I just don't agree that generally, everyone does the same in the four years you mention.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I don't. I think each situation is unique and there is no "generally" about it.

fair to disagree. It’s obviously not a guarantee for every Qb.

I do think there are some trends there though. Just from some previous discussions I’ve seen about it.

this one is 8 years old but shows some
Good info.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/quarterback-development-patterns

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...quarterbacks_generally_do_not_make_their_big/

visionary

Reaction score
Hey all. Happy game day eve.

I have a serious question.

If Dak leads the cowboys to victory tomorrow AND outplays Russell Wilson. Will he earn some more respect? Not talking about haters non haters nothing like that. Just in general. I’ve supported him since day one and even I believe this is the kind of game that will make heads turn if he outperforms the guy everyone is saying will be MVP by season end.

What day you?

I can’t “day” anything :muttley: but I say that Dak already has my respect and yes, more so if he leads us to a victory against Seattle big his real test is in the playoffs

visionary

Reaction score
Technically, this evening is gameday eve. During the day it's the day before gameday. Technically......the real question is when did Jipper change his name to Saturday?

so what is the “day before game day” menu?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
fair to disagree. It’s obviously not a guarantee for every Qb.

I do think there are some trends there though. Just from some previous discussions I’ve seen about it.

this one is 8 years old but shows some
Good info.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/extra-points/2012/quarterback-development-patterns

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/am...quarterbacks_generally_do_not_make_their_big/

Even that second link - with a sample size of just 6 quarterbacks, shows no general consistency. It shows years 3,4,5, and 6 among those name quarterbacks, which supports my point.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Even that second link - with a sample size of just 6 quarterbacks, shows no general consistency. It shows years 3,4,5, and 6 among those name quarterbacks, which supports my point.

I hear ya. It’s not my goal to argue it’s rock solid.

my overall point was that QB’s do continue to improve throughout their career. But that the more the years go along. Their trajectory of improvement tends to flatten and the improvement won’t be as sharp from year to year.

obviously every QB is different though. Some don’t improve at all. Some regress. Some fall off the map due to injury or other factors. Some do make dramatic leaps later in their career. Rich Gannon comes to mind immediately.

CWR

Reaction score
Nope, not with the jack holes on this board.

GMO415

Reaction score
If he has it today YES
If he doesn't have it today. NO