If Dak signs a long term deal, does Lance seek a trade?

plasticman

Reaction score
Trey: I want to be traded!

Jerry: So?

Trey: You just gave Dak a huge contract with over 100 million guaranteed. That means he is going to be the starting quarterback no matter what for the next several seasons.!

Jerry: And?

Trey: Well, when do I get to start?

Jerry: Well, Dak could get injured.

Trey: I was drafted 2nd overall three years ago! I only start when Dak is hurt and can't play?

Jerry: Of course not! Don't be absurd! Cooper will start. However, if they both can't play, then the job is yours. That is, until one of them can come back, of course.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Jerry: So?

Trey: You just gave Dak a huge contract with over 100 million guaranteed. That means he is going to be the starting quarterback no matter what for the next several seasons.!

Jerry: And?

Trey: Well, when do I get to start?

Jerry: Well, Dak could get injured.

Trey: I was drafted 2nd overall three years ago! I only start when Dak is hurt and can't play?

Jerry: Of course not! Don't be absurd! Cooper will start. However, if they both can't play, then the job is yours. That is, until one of them can come back, of course.
I agree 90%.

Jeruh: We would love to trade you, is there someone willing to take on your $5M contract???

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I have to imagine Dallas will decline his fifth year option, so Lance is a FA after 2024 anyway
If the Cowboys were smart they would sign Lance to a new deal before that happens. I can't see how they can figure out what they have in him in three preseason games this August.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Lance himself knows nobody in the NFL sees him as a franchise QB right now.

The 49ers could have traded him to anyone. The Cowboys' 4th round pick was the best offer they got.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If the Cowboys were smart they would sign Lance to a new deal before that happens. I can't see how they can figure out what they have in him in three preseason games this August.
If Jeruh was smart he would invest in a Time Machine and make sure that trade never happened.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
If Jeruh was smart he would invest in a Time Machine and make sure that trade never happened.
I actually don't mind the trade. At the cost of the pick they used on Viliami Fehoku last year, the Cowboys got a developmental QB with the kind of physical talent Cooper Rush lacks. The potential reward far outweighs the investment.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I actually don't mind the trade. At the cost of the pick they used on Viliami Fehoku last year, the Cowboys got a developmental QB with the kind of physical talent Cooper Rush lacks. The potential reward far outweighs the investment.
Your assessment is poor.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I think the circumstances will be very tough for that. He is the 3rd overall pick still on his rookie deal, and has never put tape out there that makes him look like a bust; people only assume he’s a bust because he doesn’t play. Lance could start negotiations by requesting 30m$ a year, to which the Cowboys would obviously balk at. Then his agent would tell them, “Fine, we’ll go to free agency and find a team that’ll allow him to compete to be the franchise QB to where he can earn a contract like that.” Geno Smith got that in 1 season of not looking awful. Derek Carr got that after actually looking awful. That’s the floor for short term starting money.

When Dak gets extended, there’s no reason for Lance to re-sign unless he doesn’t care about the money or playing time, which you’d have to question his motivation to be a successful football player if either were true.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Please tell me what the details of what that contract would look like?

Why would he be interested with no opportunity to play?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I think the circumstances will be very tough for that. He is the 3rd overall pick still on his rookie deal, and has never put tape out there that makes him look like a bust; people only assume he’s a bust because he doesn’t play. Lance could start negotiations by requesting 30m$ a year, to which the Cowboys would obviously balk at. Then his agent would tell them, “Fine, we’ll go to free agency and find a team that’ll allow him to compete to be the franchise QB to where he can earn a contract like that.” Geno Smith got that in 1 season of not looking awful. Derek Carr got that after actually looking awful. That’s the floor for short term starting money.

When Dak gets extended, there’s no reason for Lance to re-sign unless he doesn’t care about the money or playing time, which you’d have to question his motivation if either were true.
I agree. But there is so little regular season film of Lance I don't know how many teams would be willing to invest that kind of money in him. Remember the 49ers made him available to everyone, and the Cowboys' 4th round pick was the best offer they got.

Also, at the time San Fran knew more about Lance than any NFL team. If they felt he would eventually become the QB they thought he would be when they drafted him, would they have sent him to Dallas? Or an AFC team they would only see once every 4 years? Just my opinion.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I agree. But there is so little regular season film of Lance I don't know how many teams would be willing to invest that kind of money in him. Remember the 49ers made him available to everyone, and the Cowboys' 4th round pick was the best offer they got.

Also, at the time San Fran knew more about Lance than any NFL team. If they felt he would eventually become the QB they thought he would be when they drafted him, would they have sent him to Dallas? Or an AFC team they would only see once every 4 years? Just my opinion.
The simple fact that there is very little film of him tells you all you need to know.

There is very little film of him playing in HS. There is very little film of him playing in college. Why is anyone surprised their is very little film of him in the NFL?????

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I agree. But there is so little regular season film of Lance I don't know how many teams would be willing to invest that kind of money in him.
not initially. He’ll get a modest deal for his “potential.” He’d then join a team as Baker did to try and prove he’s worth that money. If he stays in Dallas, he will very plausibly never see 10 digits AAV.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Please tell me what the details of what that contract would look like?

Why would he be interested with no opportunity to play?
The better question is what team would be willing to blindly toss money at Lance with so little experience or proof of what he can do on the field? The guy has started four NFL games, finishing three. The team that gave up tons of draft capital to get him let him go to an NFC rival for a 4th round pick.

Lance is still young. He can showcase his skills in the preseason in the hopes of getting that deal he would want, be it here or someplace else. Right now he has zero leverage in new contract talks.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The better question is what team would be willing to blindly toss money at Lance with so little experience or proof of what he can do on the field? The guy has started four NFL games, finishing three. The team that gave up tons of draft capital to get him let him go to an NFC rival for a 4th round pick.

Lance is still young. He can showcase his skills in the preseason in the hopes of getting that deal he would want, be it here or someplace else. Right now he has zero leverage in new contract talks.
Pre season is not going to help him. He needs to go to Canada, USFL or Arena League if he wants to play. Or maybe he can fool some teams and become a career backup that has never played the game.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jeruh trading for him was not only dumb for the Cowboys, but he most likely just completely wasted another year. He could have gone to a bad enough team, that he could have got some playing time somewhere else.
Huh? All along the story with him is he needed more time to learn how to play in the NFL before he started getting some snaps.

He got that. So it wasn't a wasted year at all. Will he ever be good or bad? We don't know. But for a 4th it was worth the risk.