If Dak was still playing would we be 3-9?

Vandyr

Reaction score
He was a journeyman. Being unknown doesn't make a guy who had never gotten an NFL start in the 6 years he has been out of college a good QB. And realistically, the reason the Cowboys stayed close wasn't because the offense was stellar with Gilbert, it was because the defense had a surprisingly strong game. The offense likely would have scored more than 19 points with Dak at QB.

To be fair, Gilbert didn't look bad in that game. But my point about him being an unknown quantity for the Steelers was that they couldn't really gameplan for him the way they could going up against established QB's, such as Dak for instance.

visionary

Reaction score
...nope, I honestly think Dak would have us at least 7-5. There were a few games the defense played well to win them. Of course with Dak at the helm. Dalton is just a leg worth all of Dak.

But I suppose whatever was not right with the team, would eventually get exposed.

..thoughts? ..

we’d be 5-7 which IMO would be far worse

Dak has been here for 4 years, what em have we won exactly that deserves 35-40 million/year?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Cowboy Fans. It's really amazing to me how the team is always so much better then the record says we are. We can always beat this team, better then this team, always an excuse.

Dak playing had one win before he was knocked out. That's just the truth of things.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Maybe, and frankly we don't know how any game would have played out if Dak were in it. There are some that had Dak played and we sustained drives or put up points the defense might have been more rested. Ultimately we are guessing at all of it.

This is an opinion forum though.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To be fair, Gilbert didn't look bad in that game. But my point about him being an unknown quantity for the Steelers was that they couldn't really gameplan for him the way they could going up against established QB's, such as Dak for instance.
I agree completely he didn't look bad, although neither did he look outstanding. But he was certainly better than I would have expected. The fact that he was unknown may have helped with that, but it wasn't remotely enough to give the team the same, or better chance to win as with Dak. The odds of winning with a 6 year journeyman with 6 career pass attempt, who couldn't stick with a team more than one season, or even stick in the NFL every year consistently, is still dramatically lower than the odds of winning with a proven NFL QB averaging nearly 400 yards per game (like Dak was before being injured). Stephen McGee couldn't do the job Romo did no matter how unfamiliar teams were with him. Same for Babe Laufenburg filling in for Aikman.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Some are giving Dalton credit for the Giants win even though he only led drives that resulted in 6 of the Cowboys 37 points.

When dak was in we were leading by 1 point, so almost a tie against the Giants one of the worst teams in the NFL. The game could've went either way. How do you know that Dak would've won if he stayed in?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Dak is your best qb & gives you the best chance to win on Sundays. If anything this season has proved his worth, saying otherwise is frankly ridiculous.

I think the Cowboys will sign Dak to a contract, & the conversation will pause. However, until he is signed the conversation will continue.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
We would have a better record, but without our OTs and with this defense, no one would be excited about the playoffs. Until the defense is improved the offense doesn’t matter.

if Mahommes wa our QB, we would still not be a respected playoff team.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When dak was in we were leading by 1 point, so almost a tie against the Giants one of the worst teams in the NFL. The game could've went either way. How do you know that Dak would've won if he stayed in?
Yes, when Dak got hurt we were ahead by 1, AND we were in the red zone and about to score again after driving the ball to the Giants 18 yard line with Dak at QB. All Dalton did on the drive was get sacked, complete one pass and then hand off to Zeke for a 12 yard TD run.

That said, of course I can't know with certainty they would have won if Dak didn't get hurt, and of course Dalton played a part in the win, but far and away more scoring was a result of drives with Dak at QB than Dalton, so how does it make sense to give credit to Dalton and not to Dak?

If you want, we can give shared credit for the TD on the drive where Dak got hurt - 3.5 points credited to Dak, 3.5 to Dalton. That still leaves 26.5 points with Dak at QB and 10.5 with Dalton.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
:huh: OMG...how do people spin things...

ok, let me spin it further, we were up by 1 point.... and Giants obviously aren't one of the worst teams in the league since they are 5-7 now...that's called counting your chickens early. and Dak was driving easily down the field for another TD< in fact, on the same drive he got hurt on the Giants 19 yard line we did score a TD...and oh, btw, the game was in the 3rd quarter...as in not finished as in you are counting your chickens way too early.

we would have won handily if Dak was in. in fact we would never lose the lead like Dalton did.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
:huh: OMG...how do people spin things...

ok, let me spin it further, we were up by 1 point.... and Giants obviously aren't one of the worst teams in the league since they are 5-7 now...that's called counting your chickens early. and Dak was driving easily down the field for another TD< in fact, on the same drive he got hurt on the Giants 19 yard line we did score a TD...and oh, btw, the game was in the 3rd quarter...as in not finished as in you are counting your chickens way too early.

we would have won handily if Dak was in. in fact we would never lose the lead like Dalton did.

So didn't the cowboys lose the lead twice while Dak was the Quarterback in that game? People are blaming Dalton for losing the lead when Dak himself was QB when the cowboys lost the lead in the same game. And then they just assume that he would win when we had a one point lead in the 3rd. This based on a 1-3 record from the previous 4 games?

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Yes, when Dak got hurt we were ahead by 1, AND we were in the red zone and about to score again after driving the ball to the Giants 18 yard line with Dak at QB. All Dalton did on the drive was get sacked, complete one pass and then hand off to Zeke for a 12 yard TD run.

That said, of course I can't know with certainty they would have won if Dak didn't get hurt, and of course Dalton played a part in the win, but far and away more scoring was a result of drives with Dak at QB than Dalton, so how does it make sense to give credit to Dalton and not to Dak?

If you want, we can give shared credit for the TD on the drive where Dak got hurt - 3.5 points credited to Dak, 3.5 to Dalton. That still leaves 26.5 points with Dak at QB and 10.5 with Dalton.

You can give credit to the quarterback who drove the ball on the game winning drive. If your starting quarterback goes out with a one point lead, usually you expect to lose that game if there is enough time left on the clock. So you going from an expected lost game to an unexpected win.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he's super stats prescott who won one game on a lucky asp onside kick, so you know he would have won this one. lmao. smh

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Just for the record there are 52 other players on the team....... He isn't the Dallas Cowboys

They wouldn't be much better. With the fumbles from Zeke, and maybe him having no pocket protection he gets a game or two more.

Aikman said it best. This team has more holes to fill than ever and Dak isn't the saviour without help.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

The season before Dak comes the team is horrible suddenly Dak takes over and the team gets to 13 wins in 15 tries...That team never has a losing season...even in the season where supposedly our "entire offense, Zeke" is on the bench for 6 games...in 4 years.

Now the team is suddenly horrible again now that Dak is out.

Let me guess, Dak just magically appears only at the most opportune times, right? Dak makes little to no difference. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

It is similar to Cleveland and Lebron James. Lebron James just magically appears but only at the most opportune times for the Cavs. And Lebron leaves right when he magically knows that the team is not going to be good anymore.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
so according to many of you dak who basically couldnt win a game, was about to go on a 6 or 7 game win streak??
Also maybe he loses to minnesota.
There is no way to know how it would have gone with dak.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If Dak was playing we would be winning this division easy. Our WR corps are doing well and wound be great with Dak and his threat of taking off with the ball. Our running game would be working better also.