If Dallas Passes On DeCastro For A Corner, How Will You Feel?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
fanfromvirginia;4431339 said:
I'm with you. Guys I would actually want at 14:
  1. DeCastro
  2. Poe
  3. Glenn
That's it. Everybody else seems either a bad fit or would necessitate a trade down. One of those three guys will be there.

I will not complain if we get a pass rusher. Love the Poe idea too.

visionary

Reaction score
IMO, best option is to trade down to 20-23 range and take one of these in order of preference

Dontari Poe
Hightower
Cordy Glenn

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Hostile;4431395 said:

Only the CB from LSU would as close to a sure thing at 14. Given that, I'd target the guard, DE/NT, or LB with the first pick. Maybe even a tackle.

newlander

Reaction score
Hostile;4431395 said:

agree with you guys on Glenn: no DOUBT, but I'm not as high on Poe: measurables are there, but was his on the field production really that great? I'm asking as I've heard he had a solid but unspectacular year.

My realistic wish list in 1st round:

1) DeCastro
2) Glenn
3) if both are gone, trade down and snag best available DL like WOrthy or best available LB like Kuechly

..........I am with Hos BIG time on CB: the value is Not THERE for a first rounder: hope the Carr rumors are true obviously

Pabst

Reaction score
I think a lot of this debate is going to be solved by what Dallas does in FA. I'll be upfront; I think Dallas' best course of action is to sign Carr in FA and then draft DeCastro with their first. The reason for this is two fold. First, it's no secret that the secondary is the absolute weak link of the team. There needs to be an upgrade there, either through a proven commodity with a high cap charge, or by using your first round pick on a DB. I'm hoping for the former, because I see DeCastro as a blue-chip prospect in the draft. 99% of the time, blue-chip prospects do not get out of the top 10. It only happens if there is character/injury concerns (See Dez Bryant or Randy Moss) or the player is playing an under-valued position; OG, C, TE, FB, the occasional Safety, etc. DeCastro plays one of those positions, so there's a somewhat good chance he'll be available when Dallas selects. You win games, and championships, by getting as many elite players as you can; DeCastro is more elite than any of the DBs in this years draft, IMO.

That all having been said, if Dallas ignores the DB position in Free Agency, or signs a moderate to high-priced OG, you kind of have to draft a Corner with your first selection, even if DeCastro is still on the board. Yes, it is drafting for need, which is not a great thing, but that black hole in the secondary needs to be filled. There's just no way around it, really.

Finally, should the Cowboys sign neither a Corner or Guard in Free Agency, I think that's pretty indicative of failure on the Cowboys' part. You can hope and pray that a 2nd round selection pans out immediately and can be a starter, but again, you're setting yourself up to draft for need, and theres no guarantee the position you need to fill will have a decent player ready to be picked.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I do like how Jerry Jones views it, at least as far as pass rusher vs. corner.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Friday at the NFL scouting combine that a pass rusher is at the top of the list, even if the team keeps outside linebacker Anthony Spencer off the free agent market.

After seeing the New York Giants run through the playoffs with a vaunted pass rush, Jones understands the value of getting after the quarterback.

“It probably would be a pretty clear choice if it’s that quality of a pass rusher, to me, over a lesser corner,” Jones said. “In other words, for defense, I’m into the pressure for us right now above the corner even if we franchise Spencer.”

Jones reiterated the Cowboys need secondary help, which could be addressed in free agency and the draft, “but we don’t need to be cavalier about passing on a pretty significant pass rusher in the draft.”

bark

Reaction score
stasheroo;4431031 said:
At this point, my real fear is that DeCastro gets drafted right before we pick.

wouldn't be surprised if the chiefs snatch him at 11....they are needing ol help as bad as we are....also if nicks becomes free they might be players as well.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I would gladly take Clariborne but he will be gone in the top 5. Would easily take Claiborne over Decastro without even thinking twice about it. If Decastro is gone, give me a solid defensive linemen. We have to grab Carr in FA and look at players like Williams and Nicks as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;4431300 said:
Happens to me a lot. get my heart set on a player only to see his stock skyrocket.

I would take Cordy Glenn in a NY minute if DeCastro was gone. I do not want a CB in round 1.

I think I might prefer trading down at that point, but then I'll have a new worry that we'll be revisiting the debacle of 2009.

I can't help being 'zoned-in' on DeCastro, each and every report makes me like the player even more.

I just read yesterday that he walked up to the whiteboard and diagrammed plays as well as Andrew Luck.

He also mentioned knowing what aaudibles would be called before they happened.

I sure wouldn't mind another set of 'QB eyes' on the offensive line.