If ET Was Worth a 2nd + $10-11 mill just 6 months ago, how is $14 too rich?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
SMH because it's more liability and it was before his 3rd injury.

But 3 million dollars? C'mon, that's nothing. Jerry loves to talk about intangibles. ET could have and would have led our secondary with his leadership, and that extra 3 is worth that alone.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
That extra 3 million went to Jason Qwitten
Really? Insulting one of the greatest cowboys of all time because he took a job in the booth. Like you wouldn't take an easier job for the same $$$.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
SMH because it's more liability and it was before his 3rd injury.

Not buying it, that makes no sense.

Knowing full well the injury situation, they offered the exact same contract to ET that they did at the trade deadline so the injury had no affect on their calculations and they get to keep the 2nd.

Sorry bro, that's not logical.

John813

Reaction score
Maybe it was the guaranteed portion that made the FO hold off and not the AAV?

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score

Knowing full well the injury situation, they offered the exact same contract to ET that they did at the trade deadline so the injury had no affect on their calculations and they get to keep the 2nd.

Not only that, but they were fully willing and able to give Sammy Watkins a giant contract last season, a dude who has been plagued with injuries since being drafted.

Not to mention Sean Lee is still around and we drafted Jaylon Smith. Injuries are far from the Joneses minds. They are all about that upside, so much to the point that they're blinded by it sometimes.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score

What do you mean? Link to the offered contract details?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Who do we give up if we signed him? D_Law? Byron Jones? Dak? Zeke? Cooper?

I'm sure Jerry wants everyone to think this way, but the fact is we could have signed ET without having to lose any of the those players you listed.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

But they were willing to do $11 and a 2nd rounder!

This is not a discussion of if to sign him or not, this is what they were offering.

So how is $11 and a 2nd a good deal and $14 and keeping the 2nd a bad deal? Nobody in this thread has been able to logically explain the difference.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
At the trade deadline they offered a second round pick for ET and Seattle said no. We also know from reports that they offered ET $10-11 million when free agency started and ET said no.

Now I only have a UT education (you know, one of the schools people are cheating to send their kids to) so maybe I am missing something.

How is 2nd pick + $10-11 = great deal, but $14 million and keeping your 2nd round pick =bad deal.

Using that logic, they are saying that $3 million out of $188 million cap is more important than a 2nd round pick. No other way to logically explain they would do the first deal but not the second deal.
From another thread where I responded to the same question from you about why they wanted him last year and wouldn’t go higher this year:
-________________

Assuming Dallas did indeed offer a second last year for him (I never really saw or heard compelling proof of that), here are some reasons their minds could have changed:

1. Thomas has had yet another season ending injury since they made the offer. The Cowboys know they likely dodged a bullet last year when he broke his leg right after the trade fell through (if there was a trade offered).

2. Thomas is now a year older. With the end of his pro bowl skills likely coming in about 2-3 years, 1 season is a big percentage of what’s left of his career.

3. He’s now on the open market making him and/or his agent feel like he is in a better bargaining position, thus expecting more money.

4. Xavier Woods played better than they thought and the need for a center fielder in Dallas has subsided.

5. With Woods solid play, they may feel like they have bigger needs than a FS that’ll bench one of their promising young DB’s. Maybe a slot WR with Bease gone. Maybe a better interior DL. Maybe they think a strong safety is more of a need with Woods’,good play.

Any combination of those reasons would be enough to keep Dallas from pulling the trigger on this. It certainly would be enough reason not to up an offer to an unreasonable number. To just set a dollar figure you’re comfortable with and let it play out.

I’m in that same boat with them, if that’s the case. I wouldn’t mind him being here but it isn’t very imperative to me that Thomas is in Dallas. There are bigger things to worry about, IMO.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Well I would have liked to see them manage getting him here, but the below reasons have a play I am sure, and I am no analytic:

- last two seasons a waste for ET, no idea how he will be health wise next year
- Gregory, D Law and Irving issues---nobody could have known we would be in this situation last year when ET was available

Our clear focus has to be spending money on our FA's coming up, and a focus on the thinner part of our defense which is horribly exposed right now. Can't have it all

SSoup

Reaction score
That extra 3 million went to Jason Qwitten
Turns out paying a 3rd-string caliber TE millions when he's worth league-minimum and paying a backup 4-3 LB 3+ million means you have to tighten your belt somewhere else.

Sure, our starting secondary will be worse because of it, but let's all just unbutton our pants as we lean back and daydream about the players Witten and Lee were 5+ years ago. Remember? Remember, you guys? Now aren't those memories worth more than having a better starting secondary to defend opponents' passing attacks? Of course. It's not like defending the passing game is that important in 2019 anyway.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
From another thread where I responded to the same question from you about why they wanted him last year and wouldn’t go higher this year:
-________________

Assuming Dallas did indeed offer a second last year for him (I never really saw or heard compelling proof of that), here are some reasons their minds could have changed:

1. Thomas has had yet another season ending injury since they made the offer. The Cowboys know they likely dodged a bullet last year when he broke his leg right after the trade fell through (if there was a trade offered).

2. Thomas is now a year older. With the end of his pro bowl skills likely coming in about 2-3 years, 1 season is a big percentage of what’s left of his career.

3. He’s now on the open market making him and/or his agent feel like he is in a better bargaining position, thus expecting more money.

4. Xavier Woods played better than they thought and the need for a center fielder in Dallas has subsided.

5. With Woods solid play, they may feel like they have bigger needs than a FS that’ll bench one of their promising young DB’s. Maybe a slot WR with Bease gone. Maybe a better interior DL. Maybe they think a strong safety is more of a need with Woods’,good play.

Any combination of those reasons would be enough to keep Dallas from pulling the trigger on this. It certainly would be enough reason not to up an offer to an unreasonable number. To just set a dollar figure you’re comfortable with and let it play out.

I’m in that same boat with them, if that’s the case. I wouldn’t mind him being here but it isn’t very imperative to me that Thomas is in Dallas. There are bigger things to worry about, IMO.

Some of those are at least plausible...………………..good responses bro.

p_tubbs

Reaction score

It doesn't have to make sense to you because you have no say in the matter.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
But they were willing to do $11 and a 2nd rounder!

This is not a discussion of if to sign him or not, this is what they were offering.

So how is $11 and a 2nd a good deal and $14 and keeping the 2nd a bad deal? Nobody in this thread has been able to logically explain the difference.
One thing that I’m sure played into it is that last year, Dallas still had their first round pick, making it easier to part with their second, which me
Some of those are at least plausible...………………..good responses bro.
and to be fair... I completely understand your angst.

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Too high of a hit and still be able to sign all the studs we already have.
Jerry May have offered a pick to Seattle prior to ET injury. We don’t know for sure. Maybe that injury scared him off. They probably like the young players on the team. It comes down to letting one of these above mention players leave over ET. I would be happy to have all these free agents signed because of their youth.