If ET Was Worth a 2nd + $10-11 mill just 6 months ago, how is $14 too rich?

exciter

Reaction score
At the trade deadline they offered a second round pick for ET and Seattle said no. We also know from reports that they offered ET $10-11 million when free agency started and ET said no.

Now I only have a UT education (you know, one of the schools people are cheating to send their kids to) so maybe I am missing something.

How is 2nd pick + $10-11 = great deal, but $14 million and keeping your 2nd round pick =bad deal.

Using that logic, they are saying that $3 million out of $188 million cap is more important than a 2nd round pick. No other way to logically explain they would do the first deal but not the second deal.
And that's why you don't put a lot of stock in rumors surrounding this team. I have a hard time believing they would offer a 2nd round pick for a player in the last year of their contract without getting permission to negotiate a contract first, not only because of the value of the pick, but to get an idea of what the players demands are, especially considering this particular players actions have not been friendly to the idea he would handle being franchised well. No one on the team ever confirmed anything more than inquiring what it would take in compensation and balked at the answer. Everything else seemed to be writers throwing crap on the wall to see what would stick per usual!

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I'm sure Jerry wants everyone to think this way, but the fact is we could have signed ET without having to lose any of the those players you listed.
Not true, ET is getting $22 million the 1st year, no matter how you look at it, that is a huge cap hit and we would loose one of our top player, maybe 2.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Too high of a hit and still be able to sign all the studs we already have.

So 3 million is the difference? I don't buy it. We have over 100MM free next year.

Edit: I guess you're right. They just spent 3 million on a fullback.

yimyammer

Reaction score
At the trade deadline they offered a second round pick for ET and Seattle said no. We also know from reports that they offered ET $10-11 million when free agency started and ET said no.

Now I only have a UT education (you know, one of the schools people are cheating to send their kids to) so maybe I am missing something.

How is 2nd pick + $10-11 = great deal, but $14 million and keeping your 2nd round pick =bad deal.

Using that logic, they are saying that $3 million out of $188 million cap is more important than a 2nd round pick. No other way to logically explain they would do the first deal but not the second deal.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Or they were basically going to give up a second round pick for a 1 year rental. ET obviously wasn’t going to take their low ball number even if the Cowboys traded for him last year. But does this type of stuff surprise you? There is a reason why they are 23 plus years and counting of not even getting to an NFC championship game. They don’t look any closer now either.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Or they were basically going to give up a second round pick for a 1 year rental. ET obviously wasn’t going to take their low ball number even if the Cowboys traded for him last year. But does this type of stuff surprise you? There is a reason why they are 23 plus years and counting of not even getting to an NFC championship game. They don’t look any closer now either.

Good point my friend, it may very well have been a one year rental.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

A year and a broken leg older.

NotForLong

Reaction score

Because they are thinking about paying the scrub QB 30 million. . . if you gave the fraud 20 million then you could afford ET

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Really? Insulting one of the greatest cowboys of all time because he took a job in the booth. Like you wouldn't take an easier job for the same $$$.
Seeing that Witten had a “go” at Cole Beasley for quitting the team and then coming back( his rookie season) I think it’s entirely appropriate.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This discussion needs to end. ET is a Raven now. Whether he deserved what he ended up getting, makes no difference now.

conner01

Reaction score
I think the subsequent Amari trade and having to sign him long term affected the calculus
That’s a huge part
And the fact we didn’t make the trade tells me we wasn’t really as close as some think
But I think the biggest factor is cooper

Brax

Reaction score

SJ will explain the dynamics at some point, just don't expect to understand what he is saying because he doesn't..

DHCBF66

Reaction score
Seeing that Witten had a “go” at Cole Beasley for quitting the team and then coming back( his rookie season) I think it’s entirely appropriate.
So a man retiring is the same as quitting?

kskboys

Reaction score

He wasn't. And isn't.

That clear things up for you?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
A year older, recent injury, spent a 1st on Amari, need to resign guys, the GOAT Heath, Jerry ran out of JW. Could be a number of things.

Flamma

Reaction score

My guess is that it was the guaranteed money part of the offer. Forget what it is year to year and focus on guaranteed money.