If Fredbeard can play this fall

luckyman76

Reaction score
La'el was cheated in the draft and Dallas agreed to extend him early so he was paid up front. His natural position was really LT. We tried him at G but his power was a run blocker and weak on pass blocking getting beat with poor footwork and leverage. We moved him to RT and he still had problems not from his natural side. He is being paid at a high level. We will likely keep him this year but do you believe he is getting a new contract at the same level with us? No. Williams is a RT but lacked the strength coming out of college to handle the size of DL but he has the skills. Now he has the size. This is a common transition for OL and why they were high on McGovern NOT having to make this transition coming into the NFL. He can play at G immediately. I think he and Williams will likely be 10 year starters but the team wants one more year to get them both settled as insurance before dumping Collins. Can Collins eventually be our LT? No, I just don't see it. I would have more faith moving Zach Martin out there and he is the best G in the NFL. Why would you even risk that? Fredbeard is good to go. For once we are investing in the lines each year to insure we have the appropriate depth and solutions rather than desperation after neglect. We overplayed the OL and had to catch up on the DL but I finally feel that is a strength.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I don't put it all on Dak, some I do because he holds onto the ball far too long, but the Bengals offensive line coach didn't help, Frederick missing the full season, Smith a shell of himself because of constant back injury and spasms Collins who is better suited as a guard, not right tackle and Martin's knee injury, there's plenty of blame to go around when it come to the offensive line play or lack thereof

Some of it, is also losing Hanna and Witten, both of which were very good blocking TE's and much better than the replacements. People forget how pivotal good blocking TEs have been in this offense in the pass and run game.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The offensive line was decimated by injuries last year. Everyone of the starters missed a game because of an injury. The big three really paid the price. Frederick was out the whole year. Martin injured his knee twice and Smith has a stinger issue the whole season. We need offensive line depth.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
14...and not 14 more than any other starting QB. It's not all or nothing. There were times I was screaming at him to get the ball out...but...I also screamed at Aikman, White, Staubach, Meredith...well...you get the picture. Dak needs to continue to improve, but our line play can definitely improve. Fredbeard coming back is a monster plus. Conner Williams has GROWN up. And now we have a new guard. I love the line picks.

Do you understand what a coverage sack is?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
2nd round rated player at 90 sounds like a dream to me...great pick.
We've seen what this team and Dak look like when the o-line doesn't perform at a reasonable level. I'm all for keeping a strength a strength especially when it's in the trenches.

Our best pick of the draft.

Great starter to have too, as his ability to backup center means we don't need another backup center on game day. We can have pure Gs and Ts as backups, and be better.

I hope we just move on from Collins, and put our starting oline for the next 3 years on the field game 1 this year.

Scotman

Reaction score
Do you understand what a coverage sack is?
By the way, if you read my comment, I was agreeing with you. Only 14 of the sacks were on Dak. And it wasn't 14 MORE than other QB's.

Your question came across as condescending.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
By the way, if you read my comment, I was agreeing with you. Only 14 of the sacks were on Dak. And it wasn't 14 MORE than other QB's.

Your question came across as condescending.

Do you know what condescending means? :thumbup:

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For this season yes. Both players probably wont start in 2019. They were picks to impact the 2020 season if everything goes according to plan.

If Conner Williams played significant snaps last year; I see no reason why one or both of these guys cannot contribute.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does that mean we wasted pick 90?
The big benefit of the McGovern pick is that it will almost force them to give Connor Williams snaps at OT in training camp and pre-season games.

If Tyron misses a large number of games, they desperately need options other than Cam Fleming. Connor Williams has much much quicker feet than Fleming and his upside at OT is much higher than Fleming's.

La"el is a free agent after the season. It would not be good to plan on replacing him with a rookie from next year's draft. Getting CW ready to play OT is a better option.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Our sacks came as a result of our OT’s not keeping guys out long

Here’s the problem - Williams can’t play OT. It’s in the files.

Conner Williams is a OT, that is where he played at UT and had an outstanding career there. Cowboys put him at Guard but not his natural position