If Fredbeard can play this fall

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Gesek was a 10th round pick 294 overall. That would be a udfa in today's nfl. Tuinei and Newton were both undrafted. so we had 2 3rd round picks and 3 undrafted guys. We right now have the most expensive line in the league with 3 first round picks, bribed 1 would be 1st round pick, a 2nd, now a 3rd. I mean enough is enough

2nd round rated player at 90 sounds like a dream to me...great pick.
We've seen what this team and Dak look like when the o-line doesn't perform at a reasonable level. I'm all for keeping a strength a strength especially when it's in the trenches.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
2nd round rated player at 90 sounds like a dream to me...great pick.
We've seen what this team and Dak look like when the o-line doesn't perform at a reasonable level. I'm all for keeping a strength a strength especially when it's in the trenches.
I get it, but like I said when is enough, enough.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Leaving aside 2020 and beyond, it's conceivable that he could start this year, alongside Frederick. They might move Williams to RT immediately. Or he might win the LG job outright in a competition with Williams (or Collins).

In any case, since when is a late 3rd round pick wasted if it isn't an immediate starter?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Does that mean we wasted pick 90?

He's a bottom of the third pick who is already a consensus starter in 2020, and possibly one this year.

In terms of draft evaluations, he's also our consensus best pick of the draft for value.

I don't understand how people discount the future so much.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the player, I think he graded much higher, it's just a little perplexing that an offensive tackle or even a safety wasn't the way to go....but I don't see anyone in this draft class as a day one starter, Hill will be a rotational player but unless there's a trade of Collins, I don't see McGovern seeing the active roster all year

The word is that they had told Williams at the end of the season they would move him to T someday. We already had our OT. We needed a LG.

Collins is 10mil salary this year. If we move him this year, and get a pick out of the deal, it's a big win. Just lining up our oline for next year is a big win. Except for injuries, we're done worrying about starters for the next 3 seasons.

Proof

Reaction score
It gets to the point where how much resources do we dump into a position group before it becomes ridiculous. Especially since the most expensive O line in the league gave up the 2nd most sacks in the league

On the surface I agree, but I see McGovern as protection such a heavy investment. For as much as we’ve spent there and as big a part of our identity as the line is, the fragility (and some bad luck) has really weakened its overall state. For a late third rounder tho we’ve all but assured we get the best version again, and have extended the shelf life.

Cowboys1fan

Reaction score
McGovern was an awesome pick and likely best player we drafted. To keep the best protection up front it’s best to keep getting young studs. We can pay anyone outside Tyron, Zach and Fred. So it’s best to keep two young studs rotating

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Unlike you I dont need posts to form an opinion buddy I watch every game and watch Dak hold onto the ball all day long.

ths posts don't even invalidate the point about him holding onto the ball. Only mitigate it somewhat. People that think he doesn't need to speed up his reads are deluding themselves.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
McGovern is NFL ready and plays any position. Most likely he won’t start day 1 but injuries can happen. I want to see what he does with practice rep at tackle.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Does that mean we wasted pick 90?

Good question! Nothing is guaranteed with the disease that Fredbeard endured.
Amongst all or most of us, I'm hoping he's fully able of returning to 100%.:thumbup:

McGovern is a backup draftee that I think may prove himself useful this season.

Last edited:

davey999

Reaction score
If Williams and McGovern battle for the LG spot in training camp, McGovern will win.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
He was graded as a second round pick. This move is for Connor to move to tackle and not pay lael after this season.