If I was GM, what I'd do with Parsons

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
You lost me with the HOLDING CALLS. What HOLDING CALLS, opponents maul him every game and the officials refuse to throw their flags. It's becoming a joke the way officials have turned a blind eye to all the holding infractions that Parsons has to put up with EVERY game. I also believe Parsons isn't the only D-Lineman on the Cowboys being held because it doesn't make sense to me how Parsons can be doubled and tripled teamed at times and none of his other D-Lineman can get to the QB????????????

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So this revenge scenario entails working him until he is used up. Not a good look for all kinds of reasons.

blueblood70

Reaction score
3 of Washingtons 1st round pics in next 3 years + 3 of there 3rds in the next 3 years so they ruin their Cap and do not have any 1 or 3rd round picks for the next 3 years
Washington's not doing that they would have kept their dynamic pass rusher who was absolutely a beast who's now in Chicago..ie Montez Sweat I mean Washington only got a second round pick for montez sweat and I know people are gonna come in here and say Parsons is better but I'd say having 12.5 sacks last year between two teams and what I saw him doing in Chicago I'd say they're probably very similar...

they're not going to turn around and give that kind of money to Parsons along with all those draft picks if they're going to do that that's what they would have done... And I realize maybe some team might give two firsts for Parsons but I don't think so it probably be a first and a third and again it won't be within the division and probably not a rival the Cowboys will dictate where he goes if they decide to do that hopefully they'll be an AFC or a non contender in the NFC...

he's not going to Washington anyway cause we're not going to do that because they're not going to do that you don't trade within your division if you can help it...

blueblood70

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
Look I think if they don't keep Prescott they should trade Parsons lamb and diggs let Martin retire and get tank out of here and reboot with all these draft picks we could try and start over... But here's the problem with this plan with Parsons if he feels you're using him up double franchise tagging them they'll just hold out I mean he's not gonna allow himself to be used up I mean you forgot the fact that yeah we own his rights but how far will he go to hold out and for how long will he sit out an entire year?

If he snips that's what you're doing he's not gonna give you all that effort on the field he'll just hold out and demand a trade right then these players may seem like sometimes they don't have a clue but their agents to themselves know they have a clue so they'll start doing what lamb is doing now they may plan to show up for the games but they're not gonna do anything extra and in games if they feel like they're just being used up probably start to hold out immediately...

quickccc

Reaction score
I'm re-signing Parsons at market value .... War Daddies are just too hard to come by, .. if you somehow get one, you lock him up long term for years to come.

For those not familiar with the term War Daddy ... those are elite, impact on the front line pass rushers players that have to be accounted for
every time an offense breaks the huddle for the next play, They change the game, change schemes, and plans.

conner01

Reaction score

How is he a liability against the run? He did what Quinn’s scheme called for him to do

conner01

Reaction score
I'm re-signing Parsons at market value .... War Daddies are just too hard to come by, .. if you somehow get one, you lock him up long term for years to come.

For those not familiar with the term War Daddy ... those are elite, impact on the front line pass rushers players that have to be accounted for
every time an offense breaks the huddle for the next play, They change the game, change schemes, and plans.
In today’s nfl you keep as many elite players as you can and churn the avg to good players. Ideally trading them before their last year to add a pick to help replace them. Elite players are too hard to find to let them all walk

Sully

Reaction score
Honestly not bad to start thinking about use and trade mentality on draft picks....as good as the cowboys have been on drafting if they could routinely draft guys, use for 3 years (maybe 4) then trade for more draft value then they got, then repeat...at some point they would find themselves with a ton of picks and not a whole lot of huge contracts on the book.

Yes yes I get it, don't trade away superstars blah blah...everyone has a price and with the salaries going where they are, it's really not a bad idea IF we continue to draft well
I would just be the Recycle Team. When these players want to continue "setting the market with record contracts" then I am doing what the Patriots did during the dynasty. Trade away your star player ONE YEAR early, to get multiple picks back. Especially when your star players can't lead your team to even a NFC Conference game. If football is a TEAM sport, then use the salary cap/draft to build that team.

Chiefs traded way their best WR for multople HIGH drafts picks. This avoided the dealing with Tyreek Hill demands. Miami didn't even get to a AFC Conference game as the Cowboys didn't even win a playoff game, PLUS keep bring in youth and make your TEAM deep in depth. If you team gets close, them do what the Cowboys of the 90s did, trade ( Haley) to help the team. The draft is what built the 90s Dallas Cowboys

Trade Lamb and Parsons.

Jipper

Reaction score
I would just be the Recycle Team. When these players want to continue "setting the market with record contracts" then I am doing what the Patriots did during the dynasty. Trade away your star player ONE YEAR early, to get multiple picks back. Especially when your star players can't lead your team to even a NFC Conference game. If football is a TEAM sport, then use the salary cap/draft to build that team.

Chiefs traded way their best WR for multople HIGH drafts picks. This avoided the dealing with Tyreek Hill demands. Miami didn't even get to a AFC Conference game as the Cowboys didn't even win a playoff game, PLUS keep bring in youth and make your TEAM deep in depth. If you team gets close, them do what the Cowboys of the 90s did, trade ( Haley) to help the team. The draft is what built the 90s Dallas Cowboys

Trade Lamb and Parsons.
I agree and that was the theme of my point as well.

Honestly the only positions I wouldn't trade would be QB and LT ( assuming they were franchise quality)

Chasing6

Reaction score

We don't have a GM.

quickccc

Reaction score
In today’s nfl you keep as many elite players as you can and churn the avg to good players. Ideally trading them before their last year to add a pick to help replace them. Elite players are too hard to find to let them all walk
:hammer:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't have a GM.
giphy.gif

Blackrain

Reaction score
Trade him while he is at the top of his value before he gets hurt get two first round picks and the third.
Get it done before you have to pay in the Kings Ransom.

Micah Parsons is not getting us over the top a super bowl means nothing to him his super bowl is scoring a big contract let him do it somewhere else and use the high pics to help rebuild the team

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Trade him while he is at the top of his value before he gets hurt get two first round picks and the third.
Get it done before you have to pay in the Kings Ransom.

Micah Parsons is not getting us over the top a super bowl means nothing to him his super bowl is scoring a big contract let him do it somewhere else and use the high pics to help rebuild the team
If he’s worth two firsts and a third he is obviously valuable. Someone decent has to play for the Cowboys. Why should all the other teams get the top players?

Blackrain

Reaction score
If he’s worth two firsts and a third he is obviously valuable. Someone decent has to play for the Cowboys. Why should all the other teams get the top players?
Correct and to first round picks and a third gives us an opportunity to add more top players to the team on cheap rookie contracts.

Adreme

Reaction score
Correct and to first round picks and a third gives us an opportunity to add more top players to the team on cheap rookie contracts.
Except you are almost certain to get far worse players with those picks, especially considering they are likely to be late 1st round picks. Parsons was, by far, the best player in his draft class. The odds of finding that in the 20s are low.

For context, let’s use the last 2 1s to understand what you trading for (well last 2 that played). You are trading Micah for Mazi Smith and Tyler Smith. That doesn’t get you closer to a Super Bowl.

kskboys

Reaction score
Except you are almost certain to get far worse players with those picks, especially considering they are likely to be late 1st round picks. Parsons was, by far, the best player in his draft class. The odds of finding that in the 20s are low.

For context, let’s use the last 2 1s to understand what you trading for (well last 2 that played). You are trading Micah for Mazi Smith and Tyler Smith. That doesn’t get you closer to a Super Bowl.
I can't call that context, that's a cherry picked example. And then add in it's by a franchise w/ a terrible GM.

kskboys

Reaction score
You only trade him if you are rebuilding. Not doing so during the last 30 years is why our success has been so limited.

Look at the kneejerk Amario Cooper trade, for example. If we take out lumps and trade aging players, we could've come out of the 18 season smelling like roses. Trade away a couple guys and get a high draft pick, and we'd be much better off today. Jerry refuses to look down the road, and it keeps us from playoff success.

Adreme

Reaction score
I can't call that context, that's a cherry picked example. And then add in it's by a franchise w/ a terrible GM.
I mean draft wise the Cowboys are generally above average. It’s also perfect as it is exactly where you will be drafting and done by who will be doing the drafting.