If I was GM, what I'd do with Parsons

kskboys

Reaction score
Then 32 teams are awful at drafting because all 32 teams do not build their team exclusively through drafting and make the Super Bowl. Every successful team drafts great player and fills the holes in free agency. There is not a single successful team that builds exclusively through the draft. You can pick any drafting metric you want, the Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL.
Your answer doesn't fit my post.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
No. 1 rule
Don't lose a generational player, a disruptor to offenses and one who still has 2-3 more good years before he wears out.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I see where you are confused. I am referring to Micah Parson the guy who turned the defense from one of the worst in the league to top 10 the moment he arrived. I am referring to the guy who is universally regarded as the best player in his draft class and who puts up similar in all situations to the other top defenders in the NFL. I know there are some low football IQ fans who do not understand how sacks and schemes work in the NFL so they go "no sack game mean player do bad" but to help you out here sacks tend to come under two circumstances: a weak OLine or a young QB (of course you need to be a great pass rusher to follow up on either of these).

However, in the playoffs teams will take it a step further and focus on not being beaten by your defenses best player and instead target your team's weak link. In the Cowboys case that has generally been power run up the middle with play action mixed in because of how well the run game is doing. It was the weakness, is the weakness and probably will be the weakness going forward unless they add players who can actually deal with that in the middle. Your OLB or edge DLine pass rusher (depending on whichever you want to label him) is not really going to be the player dealing with that.

Building an elite defense requires two things: you need elite players who can force the opponent to gameplan around them (and if they lack the players to do so those players just dominate them) and solid players at the other positions so that the opposing offense cannot exploit an obvious mismatch.
Micah is a guy who sells out to rush the passer because big sack numbers are what bring you the big contract and that is what he's interested in a big contract.

Stopping the run and winning the playoff game is a secondary priority in his mind all these players now are about winning the big contract not winning the super bowl.
They do what they believe is necessary to win that contract because that's what provides for them and their family in the short window which is their career in the NFL.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Well, all this to-do about Micah -- it's just crazy! All he needs is attention. Leave him alone and he'll be fine! He'll be very rich soon. :flagwave:

Adreme

Reaction score
Your answer doesn't fit my post.
Your premise was that the Cowboys are bad at drafting because they have not won a Super Bowl. However that would only be a fair metric of a draft if drafting were the only way to build a team. Given that it is not that means that metric is not a good way to grade a team at drafting. Hence why metrics such as total pro bowlers, all pros made, career longevity, etc. are all much better ways to measure how good a team is at drafting, and in many cases all tell you different things about how well a team drafts.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They sure are horrible in the 2nd round, and have been unable to form a good DLine. And the OL was falling apart and we had no LB's. Finding a few good players is not necessarily good drafting. The purpose of the draft is to build toward a super bowl, and if that's not happening, then you are not drafting all that well.
they are only horrible if you think the average hit rate in the second round is 50%+. This is not unusual considering how unbelievably successful they have been in the first round.

Protip: second round hit rate is less than 50%.

kskboys

Reaction score
Your premise was that the Cowboys are bad at drafting because they have not won a Super Bowl. However that would only be a fair metric of a draft if drafting were the only way to build a team. Given that it is not that means that metric is not a good way to grade a team at drafting. Hence why metrics such as total pro bowlers, all pros made, career longevity, etc. are all much better ways to measure how good a team is at drafting, and in many cases all tell you different things about how well a team drafts.
Not really. Looks like you're reading what you want to into a post.

No one has said that super bowl winners must be built solely through the draft. Honestly, where do you get this stuff from?

I completely disagree about your measure. Why? Because the entire purpose of the draft is to build a team that can contend for super bowls. Man, I really don't see how you think that way.

kskboys

Reaction score
they are only horrible if you think the average hit rate in the second round is 50%+. This is not unusual considering how unbelievably successful they have been in the first round.

Protip: second round hit rate is less than 50%.
Since our 2nd round hit rate over the last 10 yrs appears to be 10%, looks like you lose this one.

Protip: Consistently missing on our 2nd round picks is a huge reason why we have not made it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Since our 2nd round hit rate over the last 10 yrs appears to be 10%, looks like you lose this one.

Protip: Consistently missing on our 2nd round picks is a huge reason why we have not made it past the 1st round of the playoffs.
DLaw and Diggs have made pro bowls as 2nd rounders of the past 10 years. That is just off the top of my head.

It seems like you are not remotely credible in your estimations.

Bagman

Reaction score
One thing that always amazes is me how an organization who built a team by trading their star player and had massive success in the 90s is terrified at the thought of trading a star player ever since.
Excellent point. That one guy could bring back a load of picks

kskboys

Reaction score
DLaw and Diggs have made pro bowls as 2nd rounders of the past 10 years. That is just off the top of my head.

It seems like you are not remotely credible in your estimations.
Why do you throw middle school insults w/ every post? I mean, puts you in a terrible light.

We have two success stories in the 2nd round and 8 busts in the last 11 drafts. I see counting is not your strong suit.

Do you really believe the stuff you make up and cherry pick?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Why do you throw middle school insults w/ every post? I mean, puts you in a terrible light.

We have two success stories in the 2nd round and 8 busts in the last 11 drafts. I see counting is not your strong suit.

Do you really believe the stuff you make up and cherry pick?
:laugh: Yes, 13 year olds are using credibility in their digs.

BTW, you said 10% and I just picked two pro bowlers off the cuff to demonstrate you were wrong.

Connor McGovern and Connor Williams were both second rounders who got second contracts too.

You are not credible.

Hadenough

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
I would build the defense around Parsons. I would go ahead and extend him right now with a monster contract. And I would tell the coaches put him on a snap count so he has fresher legs in the playoffs. Forget these sack records.

kskboys

Reaction score
:laugh: Yes, 13 year olds are using credibility in their digs.

BTW, you said 10% and I just picked two pro bowlers off the cuff to demonstrate you were wrong.

Connor McGovern and Connor Williams were both second rounders who got second contracts too.

You are not credible.
And you also stated 10 years, DLaw was 11 years ago. I know, I know, it's that dern math thingie.

Yeah, I'm only credible to people who are prone to logic and common sense, it's a compliment that I am not credible to you.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Parsons = Robert Quinn. Great pass rusher, but sold out for sacks which made the run D very weak as he didn't set the edge. Same thing here. Against GB, I saw where Parsons wasn't even blocked on run plays, just chipped to the outside while the RB ran right through the gaping hole that Parsons left by rushing in like his hair was on fire. I know most don't want to hear it, but right now Parsons is just too much of a great pass rusher/weak run defender.
Well.

Somehow he was the best run defending LB in college and now he isn’t.

What do you think happened?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I would build the defense around Parsons. I would go ahead and extend him right now with a monster contract. And I would tell the coaches put him on a snap count so he has fresher legs in the playoffs. Forget these sack records.
Or move him around and don’t line him up against tackles all game for the entire season.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And you also stated 10 years, DLaw was 11 years ago. I know, I know, it's that dern math thingie.

Yeah, I'm only credible to people who are prone to logic and common sense, it's a compliment that I am not credible to you.
Only if you think the current year has been played already. Math is hard.

Nevermind the 3 year prospect window.

I see your desperation to get me back in exact kind. It tells me my message was understood and internalized.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but the Eagles have shown the league that the salary cap isn't a roadblock that prevents you from signing the players you want and need, if you really want to win badly enough.. With that in mind, I'd immediately give Micah Parsons a deal that makes him the highest paid non QB in the league because he is the best player on this team and arguably the best defensive player in the entire NFL. It's wise to do it now because his price will only go up.. **Yes, he talks too much and he's a big fan boy of players on other teams, but the guy is a certified beast on the football field and is definitely worth the investment.