If I was GM, what I'd do with Parsons

kskboys

Reaction score
I mean draft wise the Cowboys are generally above average. It’s also perfect as it is exactly where you will be drafting and done by who will be doing the drafting.
Since we keep losing for the same reasons, I don't think we're that great at drafting. If we were as good as some advertise, we'd be winning some playoff games. We lack DT's and LB's, something a good drafting team would not let happen.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
All of this depends on prescott. If we resign him then we will resign these guys. If prescotts gone i think trading him has alot higher of a chance. I think theres more of a chance parson stays then lamb tho if we dont resign dak. I think theres less then a 20% chance lambs on this team next year if dak isnt. If you see lamb resign that will tell you that they cowboys are gonna give dak his bag.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Correct and to first round picks and a third gives us an opportunity to add more top players to the team on cheap rookie contracts.
The significant prices for QBs, WRs, and edge rushers, makes 1st round picks more valuable in today’s NFL than in even the recent past. No team is giving up multiple 1sts for a player or even one 1st for a player. Not anymore. The debacles of the Wilson deal and the Watson deal have not escaped the attention of NFL front offices. No GM is going to risk their career on sacrificing the future for CeeDee Lamb. And a majority of the teams in the NFL are in need of rebuild more than the Cowboys, so they need their draft picks, badly. Obviously Dak is all but gone. He’ll go get what he can parlaying the fact that he can be acquired without his new team giving up assets to the Cowboys. Micah and CeeDee are stuck with the Cowboys and vice versa.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In today’s nfl you keep as many elite players as you can and churn the avg to good players. Ideally trading them before their last year to add a pick to help replace them. Elite players are too hard to find to let them all walk
you do realize though that other teams have made these tough decisions how do you think montez sweat ended up on another team how do you think Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware and other players just talking about similar positions but get elite running backs or at least allegedly elite just this year being allowed to leave from 1:00 and it's the east team to the other with the Eagles I mean the the the giants just went ahead and risked all that.. But you see a guy like tyreke hill, A.J. Brown, de Andre Hopkins ,Amari Cooper we may not feel as elite but still moving in DeVante Adams for sure... I mean other teams have had these decisions and they went the opposite direction they got trade draft compensation that made it worth their while...

Adreme

Reaction score
Since we keep losing for the same reasons, I don't think we're that great at drafting. If we were as good as some advertise, we'd be winning some playoff games. We lack DT's and LB's, something a good drafting team would not let happen.
I mean it takes more than drafting to build a team. The Cowboys tend to rate very well at drafting, especially on day 1 picks. The problem is they are not good at using free agency to build out the roster and fill holes so there is always a hole in the roster. Teams cannot be purely building through the draft anymore when everyone else has figured out how to use all 3 facets of team building effectively (drafting, trading, and free agency).

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I mean it takes more than drafting to build a team. The Cowboys tend to rate very well at drafting, especially on day 1 picks. The problem is they are not good at using free agency to build out the roster and fill holes so there is always a hole in the roster. Teams cannot be purely building through the draft anymore when everyone else has figured out how to use all 3 facets of team building effectively (drafting, trading, and free agency).
The Cowboys have improved at drafting. There seems to be a narrative out of Frisco that they are elite at it now. An unaccountable GM is still capable of Taco Charlton, Trysten Hill, Kelvin Joseph, and basically the entire 2023 draft. I'm not sure that the 2024 draft is much better, outside of the two OL, they overdrafted an "edge-setting" DE in the 2nd and another coverage LB in the 3rd.

It's not just that they are "not good" at free agency, they are incompetent. Jerry's vanity has now extended to propping up his incapable son as "Director of Player Personnel" and he is routinely beat or shut out of contract negotiations. His son anointed his restaurant-working friend from the Marketplace Grill as their "Director of the Salary Cap"

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/front-office-roster/adam-prasifka

Adam Prasifka enters his 21st year in the Dallas Cowboys Player Personnel department. In his role as director of salary cap/player contracts, Prasifka assists COO/Executive Vice President/Player Personnel Stephen Jones and Vice President of Football Operations/Adminstratoion Todd Williams in managing the club's salary cap, negotiating player contracts and monitoring league transactions.

The Cowboys website can't even spell Administration correctly. Wonder which unqualified nephew or niece runs the website?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
One thing that always amazes is me how an organization who built a team by trading their star player and had massive success in the 90s is terrified at the thought of trading a star player ever since.
Because the organization really did not make that trade....Jimmy did. And Jimmy did it because he knew what to do with the boatload of draft picks. This regime? Not so much!

Blackrain

Reaction score
Except you are almost certain to get far worse players with those picks, especially considering they are likely to be late 1st round picks. Parsons was, by far, the best player in his draft class. The odds of finding that in the 20s are low.

For context, let’s use the last 2 1s to understand what you trading for (well last 2 that played). You are trading Micah for Mazi Smith and Tyler Smith. That doesn’t get you closer to a Super Bowl.
I haven't totally given up on Mazi yet if he could turn out to be as good a defensive tackle as Tyler Smith is an offensive tackle yes that would get us closer to a super bowl then Micah Parsons who disappears in the playoffs like Casper the friendly Ghost

Adreme

Reaction score
I haven't totally given up on Mazi yet if he could turn out to be as good a defensive tackle as Tyler Smith is an offensive tackle yes that would get us closer to a super bowl then Micah Parsons who disappears in the playoffs like Casper the friendly Ghost
You mean the guy who has the exact same numbers (slightly better actually) than TJ Watt and Garrett? I guess all the guys the league considers the best are just awful.

UncleBlazer

Reaction score
So this revenge scenario entails working him until he is used up. Not a good look for all kinds of reasons.
I’m not even sure why they’re wanting to trade him for high picks. Apparently trading away your superstar in hopes of drafting just a couple good players in hopes that they don’t hit stardom and demand big money.

kskboys

Reaction score
They sure are horrible in the 2nd round, and have been unable to form a good DLine. And the OL was falling apart and we had no LB's. Finding a few good players is not necessarily good drafting. The purpose of the draft is to build toward a super bowl, and if that's not happening, then you are not drafting all that well.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because the organization really did not make that trade....Jimmy did. And Jimmy did it because he knew what to do with the boatload of draft picks. This regime? Not so much!
If we got 6 high picks from a trade, we'd take 4 CB's, an injured LB, and a 5th round rated TE who can't get open.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys have improved at drafting. There seems to be a narrative out of Frisco that they are elite at it now. An unaccountable GM is still capable of Taco Charlton, Trysten Hill, Kelvin Joseph, and basically the entire 2023 draft. I'm not sure that the 2024 draft is much better, outside of the two OL, they overdrafted an "edge-setting" DE in the 2nd and another coverage LB in the 3rd.

It's not just that they are "not good" at free agency, they are incompetent. Jerry's vanity has now extended to propping up his incapable son as "Director of Player Personnel" and he is routinely beat or shut out of contract negotiations. His son anointed his restaurant-working friend from the Marketplace Grill as their "Director of the Salary Cap"

https://www.dallascowboys.com/team/front-office-roster/adam-prasifka

Adam Prasifka enters his 21st year in the Dallas Cowboys Player Personnel department. In his role as director of salary cap/player contracts, Prasifka assists COO/Executive Vice President/Player Personnel Stephen Jones and Vice President of Football Operations/Adminstratoion Todd Williams in managing the club's salary cap, negotiating player contracts and monitoring league transactions.

The Cowboys website can't even spell Administration correctly. Wonder which unqualified nephew or niece runs the website?
Elite? Someone was high when they said that.

Blackrain

Reaction score
You mean the guy who has the exact same numbers (slightly better actually) than TJ Watt and Garrett? I guess all the guys the league considers the best are just awful.
Yes that exact guy who stays in and runs up stats on bad teams and disappears in the biggest moments yes that exact same guy

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If I was running the Dallas Cowboys, I’d suggest my DC use Parsons like we use a super star RB, use him, run his legs off. Get everything you can out of him this season. He will continue to impact QBs. I would even make attempts to sign him throughout the season to a reasonable market contract, not top of the market as he is not a complete DE, but I’d try to sign him to a respectable contract with the allure of getting his money early.

If he insists on resetting the market, being the top non-QB regarding his salary, doesn’t sign, I’m then also looking at his overall impact on wins. Pressures, sacks, impact on run defense. I want to see if he starts getting all the holding calls this season, or are players allowed to continue to use the arm bar around his chest and neck, etc.

If he continues to get holding calls only when someone grabs his jersey; if he refuses to sign a contract that makes him top 3-4 at DE while getting it 2-3 years earlier than absolutely necessary; if he remains a liability vs the run; if he starts to play out his words that sound like he will want to do everything his way instead of the coach’s way, compromising the defensive scheme by not sacrificing to make the defensive scheme work……then I trade him right away. I don’t franchise him unless we are very close to agreeing on a contract. We have his rights thanks to picking up his 5th year option, so I give him permission to seek a trade, and I make it known to every team in the AFC that he’s available.
I would tell him to stop the podcasting crap.

Adreme

Reaction score
They sure are horrible in the 2nd round, and have been unable to form a good DLine. And the OL was falling apart and we had no LB's. Finding a few good players is not necessarily good drafting. The purpose of the draft is to build toward a super bowl, and if that's not happening, then you are not drafting all that well.
Then 32 teams are awful at drafting because all 32 teams do not build their team exclusively through drafting and make the Super Bowl. Every successful team drafts great player and fills the holes in free agency. There is not a single successful team that builds exclusively through the draft. You can pick any drafting metric you want, the Cowboys are one of the best drafting teams in the NFL.

Adreme

Reaction score
Yes that exact guy who stays in and runs up stats on bad teams and disappears in the biggest moments yes that exact same guy
I see where you are confused. I am referring to Micah Parson the guy who turned the defense from one of the worst in the league to top 10 the moment he arrived. I am referring to the guy who is universally regarded as the best player in his draft class and who puts up similar in all situations to the other top defenders in the NFL. I know there are some low football IQ fans who do not understand how sacks and schemes work in the NFL so they go "no sack game mean player do bad" but to help you out here sacks tend to come under two circumstances: a weak OLine or a young QB (of course you need to be a great pass rusher to follow up on either of these).

However, in the playoffs teams will take it a step further and focus on not being beaten by your defenses best player and instead target your team's weak link. In the Cowboys case that has generally been power run up the middle with play action mixed in because of how well the run game is doing. It was the weakness, is the weakness and probably will be the weakness going forward unless they add players who can actually deal with that in the middle. Your OLB or edge DLine pass rusher (depending on whichever you want to label him) is not really going to be the player dealing with that.

Building an elite defense requires two things: you need elite players who can force the opponent to gameplan around them (and if they lack the players to do so those players just dominate them) and solid players at the other positions so that the opposing offense cannot exploit an obvious mismatch.