If I'm McCarthy I go get this ex-Cowboy back

zerofill

Reaction score
Irving was like Rolando McClain... all the talent in the world to be great, but football wasn't their passion.

I mean it sucks to see guys you know could be incredible waste their talent... but, Irving just doesn't care enough about football.

You can tell by the things he has said in the past.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I’m more interested in getting a 22 year old future stud who’s about to enter the NFL draft as a DL. The future is better than the past.

Some guys are washed up at 27 while others are just getting started. I’m more inclined to believe David Irving is the former. We can (and I believe will) do a lot better than DI. No thanks.
Careful what you wish for.

Taco ring a bell?

That had to have been another Marinelli choice like Hill was.

Those 2 picks ended his job in Dallas.

Who let him have that much influence anyway?

Stephen?

And who hired Rob Ryan?

Jerrah?

This team has really had some doozy hires that burst into 5 alarm fires on us.

Pray like heck we have not overlooked McCarthy in some way when we hired him.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually Im not. At least locally. I doubt if half the fans in this region are Bills fans. Still the Bills have had very few issues selling out a formerly 80,000+ stadium. I think you are assuming these franchises need more local support to be viable than they actually do. And its an ignorant take to assume they do, as you arent in these markets
I can tell you I’ve never met a Dallas area born fan that wasn’t a Cowboy fan.

There could be exceptions if they moved here of course bringing their fandom which is very common. Or their parents or family member who moved from another teams city who influence them.

Wagon fans normally come from areas where their team suked when they begin following NFL or whatever sport they follow.

I’m an Astro fan because DFW area didn’t have a baseball team when I was growing up. Houston was our only regional team. And they’re still my first love but I do still root for Rangers and attend some of their games.

Which brings to why do fans have to abandon their local team to root for another team? Why can’t they follow both. I have a cousin who relocated near Kansas City a few years ago. She’s still a Diehard Cowboy fan first but is now also embracing the Chiefs. That’s all good for the support of the local community.

I attended San Diego St one year chasing some California tail and started following the Chargers while still of course maintaining my Diehard Cowboys fandom.

The point is our Roots should always be where our fandom lies but doesn’t mean you’re limited to them solely. My family for 4 generations have been mostly Baylor alumni but my wife’s family are Texas. So Horns are like my second team I root for when it doesn’t interfere with Baylor. Living in the Metroplex most of my life I also follow SMU and TCU as well.

Abandoning our local team just goes against everything sports represents.

aikemirv

Reaction score

ESisback

Reaction score
It is common knowledge that drug addicts don't succeed in life. Not sure why anyone would want him on the team if he is using it that much

Yep, and those drugs could be virtually anything—-weed, coke, meth, heroin, alcohol, tobacco, energy drinks, vaping products—moderation is key!

stuckindc

Reaction score
I’d argue their fandom is more insulting to their local or regional teams.

I can’t imagine being from and living in Dallas area and being a NY fan.

Namath was one of my Idols as a kid but I didn’t abort the Cowboys to be a Jets fan. I simply enjoyed watching him play and infatuated with his talent and success.

Fans can enjoy watching great players and teams around the country without abandoning support for their local or regional team.
I'm die hard and live in DC...the only thing that makes it bearable, is the Commanders are more of a train wreck than we are...God forbid the skins become good...it's the most painful experience ,because they are beyond obnoxious...and with out question the most bandwagon fans

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm die hard and live in DC...the only thing that makes it bearable, is the Commanders are more of a train wreck than we are...God forbid the skins become good...it's the most painful experience ,because they are beyond obnoxious...and with out question the most bandwagon fans
DC is probably a very transient area and fans bring their fandom with them.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Irving was like Rolando McClain... all the talent in the world to be great, but football wasn't their passion.

I mean it sucks to see guys you know could be incredible waste their talent... but, Irving just doesn't care enough about football.

You can tell by the things he has said in the past.
You’re assuming he’s wasting his talent but you have no clue what his real talent might be. Sounds to me like he’s doing just fine.

Hayseed

Reaction score
And that’s what we should have become in the last 25 years which would have forced Jerry’s hand.

Imagine if all fans across the country abandoned their team. The league wouldn’t be able to survive without their local attendance and viewership.

Than let those teams who cant survive die off. Im a free market guy. The natural free market ends up rewarding the strong, as it should,... and weeding out the weak as it should. The league and the teams in it should rise and fall on there own merits. Thats a big reason why I literally despise free agency and the cap. Too many times it ends up harming teams that have done well for themselves drafting players and in turn rewarding teams who have done poorly. It sucks. Not a fan at all of the new Leninist style NFL.....LOL

RoboQB

Reaction score

I hear ya. I'm about 30 minutes from DC.
Skins fans are the worst. They win a game in August and
everyone is shouting they're going to the Super Bowl.
It's bad here when their team is actually good.

This fan segregation nonsense is crazy talk.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Than let those teams who cant survive die off. Im a free market guy. The natural free market ends up rewarding the strong, as it should,... and weeding out the weak as it should. The league and the teams in it should rise and fall on there own merits. Thats a big reason why I literally despise free agency and the cap. Too many times it ends up harming teams that have done well for themselves drafting players and in turn rewarding teams who have done poorly. It sucks. Not a fan at all of the new Leninist style NFL.....LOL

I get the problems with free agency, and agree with some of your points, but the NFL isn't a normal industry situation where if one company fails it doesn't hurt the other companies in the same industry because they don't need the competition to survive. In fact, if the competition folds in other industries, profits increase for the remaining companies. The NFL, on the other hand, exists because of the competition - the competition is actually the product being sold. If the competition fades or folds, the product suffers for all teams.

Hayseed

Reaction score
I get the problems with free agency, and agree with some of your points, but the NFL isn't a normal industry situation where if one company fails it doesn't hurt the other companies in the same industry because they don't need the competition to survive. In fact, if the competition folds in other industries, profits increase for the remaining companies. The NFL, on the other hand, exists because of the competition - the competition is actually the product being sold. If the competition fades or folds, the product suffers for all teams.
I get that, too, I really do. Just saying the teams seemed to all do pretty well for themselves before free agency and the cap as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand but the strength of the league is it’s Equal TV Revenue sharing.

It’s been the benchmark of parity and success in small market venues which without, the league wouldn’t have been able to expand its market and overall revenue.

It’s the only league where every team is profitable which is healthy for all 32 teams which broadens the TV contracts and appeal nationwide.

I’m old enough to recall a 12 team league in NFL and it simply wasn’t as appealing and why College Football was king back then with broader national appeal.

Last edited:

Jake0

Reaction score
If you think about it, Irving was probably the reason Marinelli had a job for so long trying to get by with cast offs at the DL position. Irving was a 1st round talent acquired for cheap due to his off the field issues.

Hey thanks for that David. You the best. :clap:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get that, too, I really do. Just saying the teams seemed to all do pretty well for themselves before free agency and the cap as well.
I agree, they did, but realistically free agency was bound to occur because the league had no legal authority to tell players they can't change jobs, or to tell teams they can't hire who they want. The restrictions are through the CBA because the players association also understands there needs to be at least some level of continuity with teams for them to produce a product the consumer will want to see. The salary cap then rose as a protection against salaries getting so high because of teams competing for free agents.