If Jason Garrett goes, so should Dak Prescott

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the core issue is the QB’s skill set we will be looking at it for years to come. And then it becomes more about how we overcome these flaws not actually resolve them.

IF … that's part of what I'm talking about when I say that if the team doesn't get the TD's it needs, then it has to look at what needs to be changed. If that change is determined to be Dak, so be it. All I'm saying is we can't call Dak a problem simply because he gets 6 rushing TDs when another QB may get 2-3. The ultimate test on whether something needs to change is whether the team scores enough, and obviously it did not last year.

BigD_95

Reaction score
With Garrett being in the final year of his contract and Jerry Jones already talking this team up - this needs to be it. If Garrett fails to improve upon what we did in 2018, he needs to walk and take Prescott with him.

Normally, I wouldn't attach a player to the coach, but whatever coach we bring in should be allowed to draft the QB that best suits their system. The 2020 QB class is looking to be deep, you potentially have Tua who is in the mold of a Russel Wilson, Herbert who can make every throw on the field with good mobility, and your prototypical pocket passer in Fromm - then you have interesting prospects such as Costello and Eason whom could end up being late first round to early second round picks as well.

Unless Garrett and Prescott take the next step, we should not consider them our future and there will be plenty of options out there to replace and move on.

and why we should not sign Dak this off-season.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and why we should not sign Dak this off-season.

I'm still personally on the fence with Dak, but if the team is sold on Dak, his contract status shouldn't be attached to the status of the coach. Quality NFL QB's don't just grow on trees for a new coach to bring into the fold at will, so the team better have some quality pieces in place for him to work with.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not saying it couldn't be, just that it isn't necessarily. There isn't anything wrong with QBs running the ball in as long as it is just the result of taking advantage of a QB's abilities, but obviously if it is a symptom or result of a bigger problem that's another story.
I would be more worried about the QB rushing for the same number of TDs as our elite RB, if anything.
And even then it's in some ways a moot point.

Is it worth debating touchdown numbers for or against either player? I don't really think it is, because a RB could have lower TD numbers but still have a significant role in getting into scoring position. Just like a QB. That idea also doesn't factor in field goals scored at the end of drives that the QB or RB contributed to.
Lastly and maybe more significant is the defense. Both 2017 and 2018 Prescott passed for 22 TDs. Rushing went down by 5 TDs from 2017-2018. But the defense allowed 5 TDs less in 2018 than in 2017. As far as the regular season goes, the team was good enough to win the division and go to the post season, but the running game and defense underachieved much more than the passing game did IMO.

ICP

Reaction score
Jason wouldn't be gone until next season and by then Dak will be signed to an extension north of $30 mil per year. At that point he won't be going anywhere

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jason wouldn't be gone until next season and by then Dak will be signed to an extension north of $30 mil per year. At that point he won't be going anywhere

Of course the OPs point is that we shouldn't sign Dak now because Garrett might be gone, and the new coach should get to pick his QB. I's not a valid point in my mind because it's not as if there are quality NFL QBs just laying around waiting for a new coach to come grab them. A new coach coming in might be saddled with some has been or never was at QB if Dak were allowed to leave.

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Yeah, Barry Switzer hired as coach, he cuts Troy Aikman because he wants his own QB, lol
GB coach does not want Rodgers
Sean McVay comes in and cuts Goff, he wants his own QB.
SD new coach cuts Rivers, he wants his own QB.
Dungy cuts Manning, he wants his own QB.

Lol, the hate for Dak is embarrassing, 2 division titles in 3 years, lol....
Pretty much every analyst suggest Dak is worth anywhere between 20-30 mil a year but here we have the same people wanting Dak cut, traded, or just off the team..

The great Roger Staubach, loves Dak and thinks he's gonna be great but the same poster says cut him.

Like I said once and will say it again, what's the real reason yall don't like Dak, he's done just about the same as Romo has done in 3 years that took Romo 10+ years

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah, Barry Switzer hired as coach, he cuts Troy Aikman because he wants his own QB, lol

Pretty much every analyst suggest Dak is worth anywhere between 20-30 mil a year but here we have the same people wanting Dak cut, traded, or just off the team..

The great Roger Staubach, loves Dak and thinks he's gonna be great but the same poster says cut him.

Like I said once and will say it again, what's the real reason yall don't like Dak, he's done just about the same as Romo has done in 3 years that took Romo 10+ years
Q... you the real MVP.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
This post should have just said, I don't like Dak Prescott. I cannot WAIT till this extension gets done so yall can shut up.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Sure...let a new coach draft his type of QB. Don't stop there let him draft his entire team and start over? That makes a lot of sense....:huh:. Wow....the Dak hate is real? Lol

mattjames2010

Reaction score

Are you suggesting Prescott is on the level of Rodgers, Rivers, and Manning? BAHAHAHAHAHA

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Sure...let a new coach draft his type of QB. Don't stop there let him draft his entire team and start over? That makes a lot of sense....:huh:. Wow....the Dak hate is real? Lol

....when did you start watching football? Many coaches come in and overturn the roster, genius. Heck, Jon Gruden just did it.

Is there going to be a single intelligent post in here?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The organization needs to let Dak play this out. If he takes a step forward and shows he can consistently threaten a defense with his arm, then sure. He's got to at least force teams to back their safeties out of the box or Zeke ain't gonna have a full career.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
....when did you start watching football? Many coaches come in and overturn the roster, genius. Heck, Jon Gruden just did it.

Son, I've been watching and playing football for 42 years...thank you very much. And usually when a new coach changes QBs, the team is garbage anyway. This team is not garbage. Dude...I've seen your post. Talk about intelligent posts....:lmao:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Son, I've been watching and playing football for 42 years...thank you very much. And usually when a new coach changes QBs, the team is garbage anyway. This team is not garbage. Dude...I've seen your post. Talk about intelligent posts....:lmao:

This team was 3-5 last year and only had a good half that we managed to get to the playoffs with a 10-6 record, we were 9-7 the year before and missed the playoffs. We are a mediocre team.

And since you have your eyes closed when entering this thread, like you had the last 42 years of watching football - you would see the hypothetical here is if 2019 goes to crap.

So, read, think, post - maybe think REALLY hard before posting, because apparently, those brain cells haven't fired for quite some time.

Who is next?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

As soon as you stop posting.
This team was 3-5 last year and only had a good half that we managed to get to the playoffs with a 10-6 record, we were 9-7 the year before and missed the playoffs. We are a mediocre team.

And since you have your eyes closed when entering this thread, like you had the last 42 years of watching football - you would see the hypothetical here is if 2019 goes to crap.

So, read, think, post - maybe think REALLY hard before posting, because apparently, those brain cells haven't fired for quite some time.

Who is next?
Here we go again with "mediocre."
8-8 is mediocre. Average. 13-3, 9-7 and 10-6 are above average. Especially when you win your division and win postseason games.

Next!

Dorsett33

Reaction score

Who is next?
:lmao::lmao::lmao: . Some of yall are soooo tough behind a computer. I wish so bad that we can all be in an in-room live forum. Some of yall would be so quiet you'd hear a fly fart. What some of you don't realize is we have a QB that has gotten us to a point during the season that no other QB has done since Troy Aikman. And he's only played 3 years. He's not Brady. He's not Rodgers. He's not Brees. He's Dak Prescott. And statistically, one of the better QBs in the last three years. And he has room to grow. And you want a new coach to get a new QB? Lmbo...but you know football. Smh.

Again...I've seen your posts...you know nothing about football. You just like to get your post count up. Good job!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
:lmao::lmao::lmao: . Some of yall are soooo tough behind a computer. I wish so bad that we can all be in an in-room live forum. Some of yall would be so quiet you'd hear a fly fart. What some of you don't realize is we have a QB that has gotten us to a point during the season that no other QB has done since Troy Aikman. And he's only played 3 years. He's not Brady. He's not Rodgers. He's not Brees. He's Dak Prescott. And statistically, one of the better QBs in the last three years. And he has room to grow. And you want a new coach to get a new QB? Lmbo...but you know football. Smh.

Again...I've seen your posts...you know nothing about football. You just like to get your post count up. Good job!

I'm sorry, he's done what that no other QB has done since Aikman? We've won one wildcard game under him and gotten to the divisional round. Mr. "I've watched football for 42 years" I'd expect you to know this.

And "statistically" he's been comparable to Alex Smith, Mariota, and Carr - that is not "statistically one of the better QBs in the league".

Not a single thing in your entire post was even correct.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I'm sorry, he's done what that no other QB has done since Aikman? We've won one wildcard game under him and gotten to the divisional round. Mr. "I've watched football for 42 years" I'd expect you to know this.

And "statistically" he's been comparable to Alex Smith, Mariota, and Carr - that is not "statistically one of the better QBs in the league".

Not a single thing in your entire post was even correct.
And what other Dallas QB has done more than that since Aikman? Mr. "I need my post count up"

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And what other Dallas QB has done more than that since Aikman? Mr. "I need my post count up"

Tony Romo wildcard round in 2006, divisional round in 2007, won playoff game in 2009 and got divisional round. I will quote you here, what you specifically said: "What some of you don't realize is we have a QB that has gotten us to a point during the season that no other QB has done since Troy Aikman."

you get the Rams game last year was not the championship game right? Maybe get a checkup because this wasn't that long ago and you're already not remembering correctly.