If Jason Garrett goes, so should Dak Prescott

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Mahommes went to a playoff caliber team too. Makes a big difference. But I love the kid. KC will be a contender for an era. It’s easier to surround that level of talent too.
Thats true. I sometimes forget that Mahommes had way more talent than Dak had as a rookie. Mahommes literally brought baseball to the QB position as far as how creative he is throwing around players. Ridiculous strong arm doesnt hurt either.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Garrett being in the final year of his contract and Jerry Jones already talking this team up - this needs to be it. If Garrett fails to improve upon what we did in 2018, he needs to walk and take Prescott with him.

Normally, I wouldn't attach a player to the coach, but whatever coach we bring in should be allowed to draft the QB that best suits their system. The 2020 QB class is looking to be deep, you potentially have Tua who is in the mold of a Russel Wilson, Herbert who can make every throw on the field with good mobility, and your prototypical pocket passer in Fromm - then you have interesting prospects such as Costello and Eason whom could end up being late first round to early second round picks as well.

Unless Garrett and Prescott take the next step, we should not consider them our future and there will be plenty of options out there to replace and move on.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
It's a lot easier to find a coach than it is to find a QB.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't think Dak is the problem here. Garrett, yes, as a coach. I hope that we get to and win the Super Bowl this year. I hope we don't have to get rid of either because it means we will have been highly successful this year. However, if we were to get rid of either, then my vote of no confidence would go to Garrett as he's been here longer. In that scenario, I'd give the next coach the liberty to choose his QB as he sees fit.

Big_D

Reaction score
You replace Garrett and see how Dak does under a different coach, scheme, etc.. you don't replace both at the same time. evaluate the situation and move forward from there. When Garrett's gone in 2020 Dak will still be the QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats true. I sometimes forget that Mahommes had way more talent than Dak had as a rookie. Mahommes literally brought baseball to the QB position as far as how creative he is throwing around players. Ridiculous strong arm doesnt hurt either.
If Dak had that type of passing ability we’d of been playing in championships too.

Dak has some game but not that type of ability.

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
My issue with Dak is just like everyone else's issue with Jeff Heath. Dak is serviceable and just good enough to prevent the Cowboys from looking for a true stud. He will win games with plenty of talent around him but he will never win a SB. It's not that I don't like Dak, it's that I just don't think he is good enough.

Are you sure? Ever hear of Jim Plunkett, Joe Theismann, Jim McMahon, Phil Simms, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. All won a SB.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Yall are missing the point and I agree with the OP

Dak and Garrett are in the final years of their contracts. Why keep one and not the other when they both attributed to the continued mediocrity of this football team.

The ones that want to keep Dak regardless are just his apologists

If they don’t extend him now (I would prefer they not) that’s a fine approach, unless you think Dan might do better under better tutelage.

Regardless, the reality is that they’ll extend him now. So we’re talking about turfing the QB you just committed to with a long-term deal? What, and publicly admit you made a mistake by committing to him? Can we get serious?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
look at our most recent draft....lotta 2020 talk and "raw traits"......does it look like they're moving on from Garrett???...looks like they're pointing to the future.

That and, as much as I have my gos at Garrett, he does know how to motivate a team. He did really well to turn around this team last year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm sure the Commanders, Jags, Dolphins, etc. would love to have them. But I don't want to be them, our franchise is too important and historic to just settle.
There’s teams with more historic significance than the Cowboys.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
With Garrett being in the final year of his contract and Jerry Jones already talking this team up - this needs to be it. If Garrett fails to improve upon what we did in 2018, he needs to walk and take Prescott with him.

Normally, I wouldn't attach a player to the coach, but whatever coach we bring in should be allowed to draft the QB that best suits their system. The 2020 QB class is looking to be deep, you potentially have Tua who is in the mold of a Russel Wilson, Herbert who can make every throw on the field with good mobility, and your prototypical pocket passer in Fromm - then you have interesting prospects such as Costello and Eason whom could end up being late first round to early second round picks as well.

Unless Garrett and Prescott take the next step, we should not consider them our future and there will be plenty of options out there to replace and move on.
ZZZ

romonumberone

Reaction score
What if Dak has a slightly below average to average season. His contract his up. Do the Cowboys franchise tag him and pay him around $27 million a year? Do the Cowboys let him walk? If they finish 8-8- or 9-7 & do not make the playoffs and they fire Garrett it will be interesting to see how much money they have to pay Dak to bring him back.

Maybe a short term 2 year deal?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Uhh, dang, I thought this was a Garret get er done topic, and damned if I didn't walk face 1st smack dab into another Dak's a bum, bus driver, run him out of town posting.... can't we all just get along!

romonumberone

Reaction score
If Garrett loses a lot of games than the QB play possibly had a big hand in that. But if Garrett is fired than probably let the new coach decide who he wants to play QB. Even if Dak never turns into Tom Brady for a backup QB he would be a stud..... if the price was cheap.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Are you sure? Ever hear of Jim Plunkett, Joe Theismann, Jim McMahon, Phil Simms, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson. All won a SB.
But those guys all had a better arm than Dak.
They threw a better deep ball where the defense couldn't cheat up and play the run and cover the short pass. I believe they all had a top defense too.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
There’s teams with more historic significance than the Cowboys.

Like who? The Cleveland Browns of today aren't the Cleveland Browns of old. Packers? Yeah, they got a first round pick to replace Favre. Raiders? Bears? Steelers?

I would say, that on a recognition scale, only the Steelers and Patriots (due to the last couple decades) are right there with being as iconic or more iconic.