If Jerry was willing to pay Gregory $70 million

dsturgeon

Reaction score
It's a pretty shoddy position. Thinking it's OK because Parsons can play some DE is bizarre because in order for him to play DE, you then are taking away your best LB. Oh and by the way, we don't have any LBs either.

But it's pretty clear that you are likely to always defend what they do, even after a quarter century of failure.

I am not defending them, but all those years we had ware, they were not paying the guy on the otherside the equivalent of what tank has made. Top notch pay at both sides is not a requirement. Like I said, I am not against it them having a top notch RDE, I would prefer it over a top notch LDE

it is nice they can bring Micah down on plays and have him rush from the right side, whether or not there is a rde on the field or not, and the sky is not falling

Tank is in the top of the league in pressures, and they will still get sacks this year

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not defending them, but all those years we had ware, they were not paying the guy on the otherside the equivalent of what tank has made. Top notch pay at both sides is not a requirement. Like I said, I am not against it them having a top notch RDE, I would prefer it over a top notch LDE

it is nice they can bring Micah down on plays and have him rush from the right side, whether or not there is a rde on the field, and the sky is not falling

Tank is top of the league in pressures, and they will still get sacks this year

They were 13th in sacks last year with Parsons having a once in a lifetime season. So it's not like they were a dominant pass rush team last year.

They have issues at DE. They just do. The fact they panicked about Gregory and scrambled to match his Denver offer shows you they know they have an issue at DE. And yet, once they lose Gregory it's like they were caught with their pants around their ankles and have no back up plan.

The front office simply is not very good at roster building.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
They were 13th in sacks last year with Parsons having a once in a lifetime season. So it's not like they were a dominant pass rush team last year.QUOTE]

They have issues at DE. They just do. The fact they panicked about Gregory and scrambled to match his Denver offer shows you they know they have an issue at DE. And yet, once they lose Gregory it's like they were caught with their pants around their ankles and have no back up plan.

The front office simply is not very good at roster

31 teams last year were not good at roster building. I am not disagreeing with what you just said, but they are not talking the field today. You can't predict the season before the roster is built and taking the field

Sydla

Reaction score
31 teams last year were not good at roster building. I am not disagreeing with what you just said, but they are not talking the field today. You can't predict the season before the roster is built and taking the field

You've probably said the same thing to yourself for a quarter century of offseasons and what you have to show for your hope is 3 playoff wins over that period.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You've probably said the same thing to yourself for a quarter century of offseasons and what you have to show for your hope is 3 playoff wins over that period.

We have the same result except that you whine and cry like a little girl when things to work out the way you want on the team you don't own.

I like my way. I enjoy the games good or bad, and enjoy and watching how stuff turns out. Last year was a complete surprise and ended up nothing like I thought it would at this time of the year. Even with the loss, it was one of my favorite season over that time period you mentioned

Flamma

Reaction score
I wanted gregory, but not having a high priced RDE and a high priced LDE every season is a common thing and not new to the cowboys. It is usually the RDE that has the big paycheck

If you look at total money spent on their RDE's and LDE's by teams, I am sure the cowboys are somewhere in the middle, signing a high prices RDE would have most likely put them towards the top

I don't actually know, it is just a thought. Maybe they want to be careful before making long term commitments at both ends, and were not able to get what they wanted at RDE this year

Most of these commitments aren't long term anyway. Around 3 years. Plus Zeke will give us space for 2023.

Don't get me wrong, I get your point. But sometimes you have to make some changes. You can't just trot out the same team every year. Why were they seemingly willing to pay Gregory, but no one else?

Sydla

Reaction score
We have the same result except that you whine and cry like a little girl when things to work out the way you want on the team you don't own.

I like my way. I enjoy the games good or bad, and enjoy and watching how stuff turns out. Last year was a complete surprise and ended up nothing like I thought it would at this time of the year. Even with the loss, it was one of my favorite season over that time period you mentioned

But think about that. One of your favorite seasons is one where we got beat, at home, in the first round of the playoffs.

That's pretty telling, wouldn't you say?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Most of these commitments aren't long term anyway. Around 3 years. Plus Zeke will give us space for 2023.

Don't get me wrong, I get your point. But sometimes you have to make some changes. You can't just trot out the same team every year. Why were they seemingly willing to pay Gregory, but no one else?

They might have thought they had gregory when Chandler signed, I am not sure on the time frame. Or maybe they didn't want to play here.

I have no clue. I am not sure if they made offers or not.

Flamma

Reaction score
They might have thought they had gregory when Chandler signed, I am not sure on the time frame. Or maybe they didn't want to play here.

I have no clue. I am not sure if they made offers or not.

Me either, who the hell knows? They're probably sipping cognac on the yacht for all we know, not paying any attention at all.

You're right about not having 2 top end DEs. Most teams don't. But when they do, multiple impact players make a difference. Look at that Denver D when Ware met up with Miller. But in most cases it's hard to fit that under the cap and still have a good team.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
But think about that. One of your favorite seasons is one where we got beat, at home, in the first round of the playoffs.

That's pretty telling, wouldn't you say?

You know there were a bunch of fun games. Defense jumped up in the rankings from the year before with massive turnovers, great special team plays. Micah was fun to watch, and Diggs beat teams in interceptions. I still think the team was built to where they could have won last year.

I am the guy who thinks it is the WWF NFL. That is my point of view

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well Miller went to an exellent team to get paid (more than we could afford) and great chance of winning another Ring. Smith signed so quickly and RETURNED to a former team indicates his mind was already made up.

Not everyone wants to be a Cowboy.
That’s not my point. My point is a offer wasn’t even made. People wanting to be a Cowboys is irrelevant to this discussion.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
might help to open your eyes and see that this FO is totally incompetent and our GM has interest in promoting the brand and not winning a SB
Did you even read my post? I didn’t need your “no **** Sherlock” comment lol. We all know what the issue is….

Creeper

Reaction score
The Cowboys DO NOT sign top tier free agents. Period. End of story. They will overpay their own free agents for some reason, but they will not "overpay" someone else's. I hate this philosophy. I think it is stupid. But it is what it is. Keep this in mind and you won't be disappointed every offseason.

And btw, this is what is so disappointing about the Gregory betrayal. Yes, he has his flaws, but he is a disruptive pass rusher and he was the best RDE we would sign. Now, we have Chauncey Golston and it won't be long before Jerry starts promoting him as a great player who reworked his body during the offseason. Or, they will use their first round pick to take a DE when they desperately need a LG and a WR.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are comparable, if not better, options at DE in FA.

If you were willing to spend that on Gregory, there's no reason to not be willing to spend that on another edge player - Miller, etc. That ZaDarius Smith contract was totally manageable. He's been a better edge player than Gregory before he got hurt last year in GB.

But we weren't willing to make an offer on a player that is now getting paid less than Gregory.

Don't let the front office spin this after the fact.
Another example of the front office over-valuing the players they drafted. The “we like our guys” model once again. And if Denver wants to overpay for an undependable guy, fine.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That’s not my point. My point is a offer wasn’t even made. People wanting to be a Cowboys is irrelevant to this discussion.
Firstly, you don't know an offer wasnt made and in any case the Smith decision was probably already made....if you sign first day you must have had reason not to test the market.

Last edited:

visionary

Reaction score
Did you even read my post? I didn’t need your “no **** Sherlock” comment lol. We all know what the issue is….

maybe you should read your own posts with your incessant idiotic defense if this FO and underperforming players

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Me either, who the hell knows? They're probably sipping cognac on the yacht for all we know, not paying any attention at all.

You're right about not having 2 top end DEs. Most teams don't. But when they do, multiple impact players make a difference. Look at that Denver D when Ware met up with Miller. But in most cases it's hard to fit that under the cap and still have a good team.

Cognac on a yacht, me with kombucha on a delivery route, and whatever one drinks in a toll booth, it's all the same. We are all cowboys experts

Flamma

Reaction score
I used to drink in the toll booth years ago. Not anymore. But that was when there were a lot of employees. Many of us did. It was like a mini party out there.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don’t believe we had serious intentions of signing Gregory. Our offer just was complimentary.

Our priorities were obviously Gallup and Lawrence.