If Jerry was willing to pay Gregory $70 million

Cmac

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is Quinn didn't want him or they didn't think he was a fit. I Just don't know what the answer is. There's no way they are clearing this space to not do anything with it so I don't know what's going on.
You're not alone on the bafflement.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Exactly.........they cleared cap space for Gregory and once that blew up in their face, they have no idea what to do.

There was never a plan B, so they are just going to sit on almost $30 million of cap space.:facepalm:
It’s sad man because they had time to come up with a plan b and it’s like they are sitting on their hands…..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Exactly.........they cleared cap space for Gregory and once that blew up in their face, they have no idea what to do.

There was never a plan B, so they are just going to sit on almost $30 million of cap space.:facepalm:

Better to save it rather than spend it for the sake of it. Making those comments sounds like a teenager with their first credit card "we got money now must spend, must spend".

We've still got a budget (dont forget the CAP issue which still occurs in 2023) and we still need/want to resign inc Kearse. If you add the draft monies we have about $10m to spend and maybe push a bit down to 2024 but that means finding a younger FA that will still be productive 3 years down the line (that's not Von).

Yes, Plan A work but everytime a FA goes off the board we dont need to start crying.

terra

Reaction score
Paying Gregory $70 million would have been possibly the dumbest contract Jerry and company have come up with yet and that is saying a lot.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Only thing I can think of is Quinn didn't want him or they didn't think he was a fit. I Just don't know what the answer is. There's no way they are clearing this space to not do anything with it so I don't know what's going on.

Well Miller went to an exellent team to get paid (more than we could afford) and great chance of winning another Ring. Smith signed so quickly and RETURNED to a former team indicates his mind was already made up.

Not everyone wants to be a Cowboy.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Plan B is simple. Resign our guys..........early! Watch Diggs get an extension.

Dre11

Reaction score
We may not like it bit it's their philosophy, they're not overpaying outside players, but they will overpay home grown players.

Flamma

Reaction score
Granted Jones got more but not significantly more.

Again, I don't think they actually have a plan. It's basically let's sign some of our own if we can and then if we can't just wait it out and sign some low hanging fruit and we'll trot out the yearly, "We build through the draft" BS they love to sling around.

It is a bunch of crap. No way you gather enough impact players quick enough strictly through the draft. You have to get lucky for that to happen. Like the Seahawks did a decade ago. The draft is one of 3 ways to acquire talent. Hell, one of our impact players was through a trade, Cooper. Now he's gone.

I really don't think the Cowboys take anything seriously but the draft. Even then, how often do we see them move up a bit to grab a player? Nope, boring as all hell allowing teams to jump in front of us to grab players that fell.

They're not kidding when they say we like our guys. Dallas still has a 6th round pick from 2016 starting at corner.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I wanted gregory, but not having a high priced RDE and a high priced LDE every season is a common thing and not new to the cowboys. It is usually the RDE that has the big paycheck

If you look at total money spent on their RDE's and LDE's by teams, I am sure the cowboys are somewhere in the middle, signing a high prices RDE would have most likely put them towards the top

I don't actually know, it is just a thought. Maybe they want to be careful before making long term commitments at both ends, and were not able to get what they wanted at RDE this year

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Part time front office.

I’d be willing to bet they didn’t know Z’darious was in the market, let alone have any conversations about him.

visionary

Reaction score

might help to open your eyes and see that this FO is totally incompetent and our GM has interest in promoting the brand and not winning a SB

LittleD

Reaction score
There are comparable, if not better, options at DE in FA.

If you were willing to spend that on Gregory, there's no reason to not be willing to spend that on another edge player - Miller, etc. That ZaDarius Smith contract was totally manageable. He's been a better edge player than Gregory before he got hurt last year in GB.

But we weren't willing to make an offer on a player that is now getting paid less than Gregory.

Don't let the front office spin this after the fact.

Think Dorrance Armstrong and Gholston for DE and you'll be closer. Boys will draft a DE as well. All's good.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
They have dlaw and can always have Micah play some rde. They are not in a horrible position

The sky is not falling

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
How did they view RG better than Chandler Jones is my question.
:hammer:.......

Only way I can think of it is...
We still have a bunch of free agents of our own that we need to resign...and we are grinding to get the best deals possible.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Maybe Chandler didn't want to live in Texas and be a cowboy

If I was a football player and had a choice to play on a California team and almost any other team, I would take millions less to not have to live in California

Sydla

Reaction score
They have dlaw and can always have Micah play some rde. They are not in a horrible position

The sky is not falling

It's a pretty shoddy position. Thinking it's OK because Parsons can play some DE is bizarre because in order for him to play DE, you then are taking away your best LB. Oh and by the way, we don't have any LBs either.

But it's pretty clear that you are likely to always defend what they do, even after a quarter century of failure.