If Jerry was willing to pay Gregory $70 million

Reid1boys

Reaction score
There are comparable, if not better, options at DE in FA.

If you were willing to spend that on Gregory, there's no reason to not be willing to spend that on another edge player - Miller, etc. That ZaDarius Smith contract was totally manageable. He's been a better edge player than Gregory before he got hurt last year in GB.

But we weren't willing to make an offer on a player that is now getting paid less than Gregory.

Don't let the front office spin this after the fact.

Miller.....bahahahahhahahaaah.... 70 million? Did you see his deal? 6 years 120 million? Had Jerry done that deal you all would be in here slamming him like crazy. Im pissed they blew it with Gregory, but be real. 120 million for 32 year old Miller? People were saying 70- million for Gregory was too much. It shows how far from reality people on this board actually are.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I don’t believe we had serious intentions of signing Gregory. Our offer just was complimentary.

Our priorities were obviously Gallup and Lawrence.

are you serious? Our offer was complimentary? What the hell does that mean? Why do you think they freed up 16 million doing what they did with Lawrence?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What's sad is that they probably SHOULDN'T even sign those guys for what they will demand at their ages...but they've sat on their hands for so long they really have no choice if they want to improve this team for this year.
no way in hell is Von Miller worth the 120 million deal he signed. And if we did spend that on a 32 about to be 33 year old player in a few weeks. Nobody is more disappointed in what happened with Gregory than I am. I place the total blame on Stepehn. This deal should have gotten done, period. The fact Randy took the exact same amount of money from the Broncos is infuriating. They clearly screwed this up. I was good with Cooper trade, I was ecstatic signing Gallup, not really happy about Wilson leaving..... but had they signed Gregory, all in all it would have been a pretty good handling of all those situations. Losing Gregory makes this a complete and utter failure IMO.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The Cowboys DO NOT sign top tier free agents. Period. End of story. They will overpay their own free agents for some reason, but they will not "overpay" someone else's. I hate this philosophy. I think it is stupid. But it is what it is. Keep this in mind and you won't be disappointed every offseason.

And btw, this is what is so disappointing about the Gregory betrayal. Yes, he has his flaws, but he is a disruptive pass rusher and he was the best RDE we would sign. Now, we have Chauncey Golston and it won't be long before Jerry starts promoting him as a great player who reworked his body during the offseason. Or, they will use their first round pick to take a DE when they desperately need a LG and a WR.
We desperately need a wr? Smh

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Agreed. Miller is just sitting there. If they don’t move on him and Wagner— then two options are likely:

1. they are arrogant, incompetent, and cheap
2. They are clearing the books for a big reset in 2023 with Payton as HC

(or option 3– all of the above)
sadly I think it is
1. they are arrogant, incompetent, and cheap :(

dsturgeon

Reaction score
sadly I think it is
1. they are arrogant, incompetent, and cheap :(

Funny how all those years wasted with Tony Romo and high priced free agents, missing depth, and salary cap issues were bad and everyone hated it, and now all these years trying to build teams through the draft and low priced free agents for dak, everyone hates it and it is bad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
are you serious? Our offer was complimentary? What the hell does that mean? Why do you think they freed up 16 million doing what they did with Lawrence?
To sign Gallup and Lawrence.

And complimentary means to present a perception we were interested in signing him. Gregory obviously wasn’t a top priority like Gallup or Lawrence.

That’s how I see it anyway.

terra

Reaction score
Funny how all those years wasted with Tony Romo and high priced free agents, missing depth, and salary cap issues were bad and everyone hated it, and now all these years trying to build teams through the draft and low priced free agents for dak, everyone hates it and it is bad.
what everyone hates is that no matter what the jones boys do they fail.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
no way in hell is Von Miller worth the 120 million deal he signed. And if we did spend that on a 32 about to be 33 year old player in a few weeks. Nobody is more disappointed in what happened with Gregory than I am. I place the total blame on Stepehn. This deal should have gotten done, period. The fact Randy took the exact same amount of money from the Broncos is infuriating. They clearly screwed this up. I was good with Cooper trade, I was ecstatic signing Gallup, not really happy about Wilson leaving..... but had they signed Gregory, all in all it would have been a pretty good handling of all those situations. Losing Gregory makes this a complete and utter failure IMO.
Gregory didn’t like the clause from Cowboys that punish his guarantee if he was fined by the league.

And I truly think if all things are equal Gregory would rather have a fresh start where he can enjoy a Rocky Mountain High, legally.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
To sign Gallup and Lawrence.

And complimentary means to present a perception we were interested in signing him. Gregory obviously wasn’t a top priority like Gallup or Lawrence.

That’s how I see it anyway.
You dont put a 70 million dollar contract down in front of someone's face if you arent serious about signing them. EVERY move they made so far was so they COULD sign Gregory. The reason they didnt franchise Randy is because they thought they pretty much had a behind the scenes wink and nod deal done, thus they franchised Schultz as not to lose him.

I normally think you are pretty spot on for the most part(except your skewed posts about Jerry:... but i think you are way off on this. If they werent serious about Gregory, this signing would have came and went and no biggie. The Cowboys are pissed and that is why there is so much discussion about what happened.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You dont put a 70 million dollar contract down in front of someone's face if you arent serious about signing them. EVERY move they made so far was so they COULD sign Gregory. The reason they didnt franchise Randy is because they thought they pretty much had a behind the scenes wink and nod deal done, thus they franchised Schultz as not to lose him.

I normally think you are pretty spot on for the most part(except your skewed posts about Jerry:... but i think you are way off on this. If they werent serious about Gregory, this signing would have came and went and no biggie. The Cowboys are pissed and that is why there is so much discussion about what happened.
If they were serious they shouldn’t have had the clause in there about his fines and or suspensions.

Because of Randy’s history they weren’t as serious as perhaps they should have been. And honestly I can’t blame them for that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There are comparable, if not better, options at DE in FA.

If you were willing to spend that on Gregory, there's no reason to not be willing to spend that on another edge player - Miller, etc. That ZaDarius Smith contract was totally manageable. He's been a better edge player than Gregory before he got hurt last year in GB.

But we weren't willing to make an offer on a player that is now getting paid less than Gregory.

Don't let the front office spin this after the fact.
The reason jerry was willing to spend that on Gregory is RG was his pet project !
he drafted him, thought he got a bargain, but then all the years he didnt play made jerry look like a stooge.
So jerry wanted/ needed him to sign with dallas now that he was playing and doing ok, to justify all those years RG got paid to fail weed tests.

But randy made him look like a stooge again ! lol it is kinda funny.

Also denver has wilson dallas has dak, so denver has a better shot at going to a SB, and denver is a modern state, weed is legal, if he gets pulled over
with weed in his car there no big deal, Here in backward texas, he goes to jail and they take his weed and pipe, and trash it! :eek:

He is better off in denver.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
they need to do both and do it well, you cant do just one.
Their FA back then were awful except for owens. and remember the roy williams trade? he was way over the hill and they gave a bundle for him.

I dont care about RG, team is better off not signing him. The problem is they wanted to sign him , and then messed up doing that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Now that marijuana consumption isn’t being tested in NFL, franchises in states where it’s illegal have a distinct disadvantage with players.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Booger is not emotionally attached or personally invested in those other players. He can use his reclamation project to showcase his risk payoffs. Only if you don't look too closely. This fool didn't stop breaking the rules; the rules changed.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
what everyone hates is that no matter what the jones boys do they fail.

F
they need to do both and do it well, you cant do just one.
Their FA back then were awful except for owens. and remember the roy williams trade? he was way over the hill and they gave a bundle for him.

I dont care about RG, team is better off not signing him. The problem is they wanted to sign him , and then messed up doing that.

It still baffles me how Tony could throw to all sorts of low skilled and variety of different skillset players but Roy Williams and bennett he couldn't get near or make happen, along with other TE' not named witten

jnday

Reaction score
The other thing at play, I would guess, is that deep down they look at last year as a success. They won 12 games after people criticized their 2021 offseason.

But last year wasn't a "success". It may be a high water mark for them when compared to the previous quarter century but it was hardly a success.
Last season’s W/L record hurts the team more than it helped. Jerry and Stephen see those 12 wins as evidence that they are on the right track.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
maybe you should read your own posts with your incessant idiotic defense if this FO and underperforming players
So either you can’t read, won’t read or lack comprehension…..and the irony of it all? You’re name is “visionary”….it’s like someone being fat calling themselves “little”.

Sydla

Reaction score

Those aren’t the only two options - go cheap in FA/build through draft or just spend like drunken sailors in FA