If Lawrence's demands are out of hand?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would you do?

If Demarcus Lawrence and his agent are looking for top of the market "Khalil Mack money", what would you do if it were your decision?

• Would you pay it if it's well above $20 million a year?
  • Would you keep the tag in place and let the season play out?
  • Would you gauge the potential trade market and move on and look to replace him?
If the demands are too high, I think I would gauge the trade market and try to get the most I could for him and I'd also be talking to the few defensive ends who are actually hitting the market, starting with Trey Flowers. He's not Lawrence, but I could probably get him for $16 million a year.

If things with Lawrence can't be worked out, I think I'd look at both Flowers and then another DE given Gregory's indefinite suspension.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Regardless of how DLaw decides to let things play out under the tag and the timing he chooses to sign (if he signs it) - you'll get zero real production out of him under the tag this season.

Either sign him before the draft, or trade him before the draft. If he wants $20M or more, then trade for whatever you can get for him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I do think they will be worked out. But if not then bye. If it’s out of hand money then it will likely be out of hand for what other teams offer him.

Wood

Reaction score
I saw enough from Tank to give him what he wants. Give him his money and move on.The bigger problem is Dallas wants to pay Dak as franchise QB before he is actually a franchise QB. If Dak got paid what he is actually worth (middling QB) then this all fits.

JohnBoy

Reaction score
Sounds about right. But how do we know the Cowboys aren't already mobilizing to explore all three of these options? My bet is they are...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
What would you do?

If Demarcus Lawrence and his agent are looking for top of the market "Khalil Mack money", what would you do if it were your decision?

• Would you gauge the potential trade market and move on and look to replace him?
If the demands are too high, I think I would gauge the trade market and try to get the most I could for him and I'd also be talking to the few defensive ends who are actually hitting the market, starting with Trey Flowers. He's not Lawrence, but I could probably get him for $16 million a year.

If things with Lawrence can't be worked out, I think I'd look at both Flowers and then another DE given Gregory's indefinite suspension.
trade him..i wish they would take the patriot approach and just trade him now. Get the most trade value for him because it will never be as high as it is now. This is why the patriots win so much because they move on from their top players and bring in multiple guys who keep the ship moving. This team has been drafting very good so i believe they would find good replacements. I think Lawrence would get the team a 1st and a 3rd, or a top of the round 1st and a 2nd if they add Lawrence and 58

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Hard to give up on a proven guy who is at the top of his position but clearly not Mack or Donald level. I think the drop off after the top two is pretty apparent and just as clear with the drop off from Dmac and Flowers. If this is the route they go we fans have to hope the money saved is going towards S, DT, Slot Wr, OL, and maybe a legit back up QB. This team waited so long to get a legit DE and it would be pretty harsh to move on imo but we are discussing the current way of doing business. I do agree with you on what Dmac wants is too much as well. Hopefully they can find some common ground but like you point out if they don't you have to trade him while his market is sky high. If they do go this route you could do much worse than Flowers who has a similar game to Dmac and doesn't come off the field. I don't believe Flowers will bring the same sack totals but his all around game is top notch.

Wood

Reaction score
trade him..i wish they would take the patriot approach and just trade him now. Get the most trade value for him because it will never be as high as it is now. This is why the patriots win so much because they move on from their top players and bring in multiple guys who keep the ship moving. This team has been drafting very good so i believe they would find good replacements. I think Lawrence would get the team a 1st and a 3rd, or a top of the round 1st and a 2nd if they add Lawrence and 58

and who exactly is rushing the passer? I'll wait.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Hard to give up on a proven guy who is at the top of his position but clearly not Mack or Donald level. I think the drop off after the top two is pretty apparent and just as clear with the drop off from Dmac and Flowers. If this is the route they go we fans have to hope the money saved is going towards S, DT, Slot Wr, OL, and maybe a legit back up QB. This team waited so long to get a legit DE and it would be pretty harsh to move on imo but we are discussing the current way of doing business. I do agree with you on what Dmac wants is too much as well. Hopefully they can find some common ground but like you point out if they don't you have to trade him while his market is sky high. If they do go this route you could do much worse than Flowers who has a similar game to Dmac and doesn't come off the field. I don't believe Flowers will bring the same sack totals but his all around game is top notch.

16mil is way high for a guy like Flowers. Thats why the patriots let him go. Product of the system. Lawrence has developed to be as good as he is. But thats what these players are paid to do develop to become productive. Charlton is what Lawrence was his first couple season in the NFL. Lawrence was young and immature. He grew up. But after his 2nd yr the same things all these people on here are saying about Charlton were saying about Lawrence. None of them will admit it because they would want you to believe they just knew he would turn out like this.

In todays NFL the QB is going to get paid huge. But you cant pay everybody this way. Elliot, Lawrence IMO you pay one big and trade the other. Cooper you have to pay because of how the game is played. YOu need a #1 for your QB.

erod

Reaction score
I would franchise him, take a 1st-round pick if anyone offers, and if they don't, let him play on the tag.

If he holds out, you don't have to pay him, and he'll ruin his value going forward.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
16mil is way high for a guy like Flowers. Thats why the patriots let him go. Product of the system. Lawrence has developed to be as good as he is. But thats what these players are paid to do develop to become productive. Charlton is what Lawrence was his first couple season in the NFL. Lawrence was young and immature. He grew up. But after his 2nd yr the same things all these people on here are saying about Charlton were saying about Lawrence. None of them will admit it because they would want you to believe they just knew he would turn out like this.

In todays NFL the QB is going to get paid huge. But you cant pay everybody this way. Elliot, Lawrence IMO you pay one big and trade the other. Cooper you have to pay because of how the game is played. YOu need a #1 for your QB.
I agree but Flowers is also better than Taco.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the demands are indeed too high, trade him and use those resources to upgrade Safety and the DT's. Bolster up those two positions and there will be less worry about who is rushing from the Ends.

Wood

Reaction score
Did they get rid of FA and the draft?

forget the draft. Pass rushers take time to develop (Tank perfect example). Any DE FA will be as grossly over-paid. So if your gonna over-pay...do it with guy who you know is warrior and leader.

erod

Reaction score
forget the draft. Pass rushers take time to develop (Tank perfect example). Any DE FA will be as grossly over-paid. So if your gonna over-pay...do it with guy who you know is warrior and leader.
Agreed, just overpay him with the franchise tag. Don't guarantee $80 million on that shoulder and back.

Wood

Reaction score
Agreed, just overpay him with the franchise tag. Don't guarantee $80 million on that shoulder and back.

Tank doesn't come off as type of guy who will play on franchise tag. Dallas has two options: 1) Give Tank money he wants and make deep run into playoffs 2) trade him and punt on 2019 season because this Defense is built on QB pressure.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
What would you do?

Before Gregory was suspended we did have a little leverage but now that is all gone. I love D_Law but he is not at Mack's level and he should not get that kind of $$$. Trade him, we can at least get our 1st rounder back, we can find his replacement in the draft!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I saw enough from Tank to give him what he wants. Give him his money and move on.The bigger problem is Dallas wants to pay Dak as franchise QB before he is actually a franchise QB. If Dak got paid what he is actually worth (middling QB) then this all fits.

I don't think either of them are a "franchise" anything, so I'm not interested in paying either them like they're cornerstones of a championship team. "We don't have someone better at their position" isn't a reason to heavily invest in them, unless winning the division and maybe a playoff game is the ultimate goal.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I agree but Flowers is also better than Taco.

It amazes me how people didnt watch the first 4 games this yr of Charlton. He was very good. Just injuries took the next 8 weeks from him. And he got a little attitude and the coaches had to humble him.

Why pay Flowers 16mil that you know would be overpaying. When you can trade Lawrence have that extra 20mil and draft capital and bring in a guy Fowler or aaron lynch or even slide Crawford to the strong side where he would be a better fit then the right side. Now youre able to bring in a 3tech to rotate with Collins or draft say Tillery in round 2 Or a Oliver in round one.

My point is there could be a better defense with 2 rotating units on the DL that the dropoff in production is very minimal and keeps the DL fresh the whole game. Rather then depending on one guy making 20mil and ur not able to build that 2nd rotation of DL and you give up easy scores because that 2nd rotation cant handle the job.