If Lawrence's demands are out of hand?

Sandyf

Reaction score
I can see Lawrence getting a contract where the average is $22.5 million a year with the numbers going sort of like this. Total contract $158 million on 7 years with $80 million in guarantees. Of the $80 mil guarantee, $35 mil is the signing bonus, roster bonus of $4 mil in 2020, roster bonus of $4 mil in 2021, salary guarantee in 2019 and 2020
2019 Base Salary $7 mil/pro rated bonus $7 mil/roster bonus $0/cap hit $14 mil
2020 Base Salary $12 mil/pro rated bonus $7 mil/roster bonus $4 mil/cap hit $23 mil
2021 Base Salary $14 mil/pro rated bonus $7 mil/roster bonus $4 mil/cap hit $25 mil
If you cut him after 2021 then only responsible for $18 mil which could spread out over 2 years
2022 Base Salary $18 mil (only $4 mil guarantee)/pro rated bonus $7 mil/roster bonus $4 mil/cap hit $26 mil
2023 Base Salary $17 mil/pro rated bonus $7 mil/roster bonus $6 mil/cap hit $30 mil
2024 Base Salary $16 mil/pro rated bonus $0 mil/roster bonus $4 mil/cap hit $20 mil
2025 Base Salary $15 mil/pro rated bonus $0 mil/roster bonus $2/cap hit $17 mil

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Before Gregory was suspended we did have a little leverage but now that is all gone. I love D_Law but he is not at Mack's level and he should not get that kind of $$$. Trade him, we can at least get our 1st rounder back, we can find his replacement in the draft!

With whats going on on the politics side of the NFL i think Jerry saying that Gregory playing week one is not out of the question. This weed ban is going away in the next CBA but could be done this offseason to butter up the players union on some points. Theres a reason why NE hasnt cut ties with Gordon.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
forget the draft. Pass rushers take time to develop (Tank perfect example). Any DE FA will be as grossly over-paid. So if your gonna over-pay...do it with guy who you know is warrior and leader.
Lawrence took time because he was suspended for weed and he was injured.

John813

Reaction score
With whats going on on the politics side of the NFL i think Jerry saying that Gregory playing week one is not out of the question. This weed ban is going away in the next CBA but could be done this offseason to butter up the players union on some points. Theres a reason why NE hasnt cut ties with Gordon.

That's my thought as well. I'm sure the owners want to drop weed or make it a super slap on the wrist, but don't simply want to give it without getting something back from the PA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before Gregory was suspended we did have a little leverage but now that is all gone. I love D_Law but he is not at Mack's level and he should not get that kind of $$$. Trade him, we can at least get our 1st rounder back, we can find his replacement in the draft!

If I could get a 1st rounder and work out a deal with Flowers, I'd definitely do that.

Certainly before I'd pay the guy $25 million if that's what he's asking for.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I do think they will be worked out. But if not then bye. If it’s out of hand money then it will likely be out of hand for what other teams offer him.

All it takes is one team. The Cardinals thought Pujols' demands were out of hand. The Angels paid him. How is that working out for LA?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That's my thought as well. I'm sure the owners want to drop weed or make it a super slap on the wrist, but don't simply want to give it without getting something back from the PA.

I think for now they will limit it to illinesses like what Gregory and Gordon suffer from. In the Cowboys statements and Patriots statements they both mention the support theyre giving each player in their fight for their illness. I think both will be on the field week 1.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If I could get a 1st rounder and work out a deal with Flowers, I'd definitely do that.

Certainly before I'd pay the guy $25 million if that's what he's asking for.
I would rather get a 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd to go with Fowler, and a malcolm brown. And draft a sweat or gary. Build up some crazy depth along the DL

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would rather get a 1st and 3rd or 1st and 2nd to go with Fowler, and a malcolm brown. And draft a sweat or gary. Build up some crazy depth along the DL

I have no faith in Fowler. He's been a disappointment since he was drafted.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Pay the man the market rate for a front line edge defender. It's not like we can afford to lose him right now.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I have no faith in Fowler. He's been a disappointment since he was drafted.
He started to get it going last yr in LA. But i have some concerns on him too. Thats why he comes on the cheaper end. And you actually have a guy like Crawford who can push him for the start on the strong side. For me its all about numbers. Id rather this team have 8 guys who can productive then have 3-4 and the rest are a drop off. Which is what dallas had last yr. You had Lawrence, Crawford, Gregory, and Collins and to an extent woods. But after that?

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I hope you are right but we are dealing with Goodell, Kraft and JJ are his least 2 favorite owners in the NFL. He loves doing what he can to hurt both teams!

Tussinman

Reaction score
If his demands are out of hand they need to trade him ASAP.

The worst scenario would be not signing him but it being so late into the free agent period that all the good players you could of signed with his money are gone.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I hope you are right but we are dealing with Goodell, Kraft and JJ are his least 2 favorite owners in the NFL. He loves doing what he can to hurt both teams!
But Jerry and Kraft are two of the most powerful owners in the league. Jerry basically owns the Charger, Raiders and Rams now lol.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Agreed, just overpay him with the franchise tag. Don't guarantee $80 million on that shoulder and back.
Tank doesn't come off as type of guy who will play on franchise tag. Dallas has two options: 1) Give Tank money he wants and make deep run into playoffs 2) trade him and punt on 2019 season because this Defense is built on QB pressure.
I can see Tank having the same kind of year Almost Anthony did on his 2nd tag.