If Lawrence's demands are out of hand?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If he got the same deal as Mack how would that impact this and next year's cap?
KMack had a 14m cap hit Year One and a 23m hit Year Two(and Year 3-7)

That would save 6.5m off of this year's cap

Verdict

Reaction score
Tank doesn't come off as type of guy who will play on franchise tag. Dallas has two options: 1) Give Tank money he wants and make deep run into playoffs 2) trade him and punt on 2019 season because this Defense is built on QB pressure.

I'm not sure why anyone would think like that. Most would have said the same thing about Lee last year, or the season when Romo went down. In both cases rookies stepped up big time. That's really overly simplistic thinking.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Top notch pass rushers are hard to come by in the NFL and if they didn't sign him it would be hard to instantly replace him. On the opposite side there are some red flags here like the shoulder and back, past suspension, while wondering if he will ever live up to a big contract. Smart teams are always seeking value for players and if his contract demands are that outrageous maybe you consider moving him for significant draft compensation. However, I would want more than a 1st round pick because the player you get in return in the draft is unknown and likely doesnt help you win more today at a premium position.

My thought is you wait to see how the franchise tag plays out and try to get him signed before camp. In the short term I would inquire on someone like Cameron Wake who is still productive as a part time player and provides some insurance on a short term deal.

Verdict

Reaction score
All it takes is one team. The Cardinals thought Pujols' demands were out of hand. The Angels paid him. How is that working out for LA?

There is no hard cap in baseball. It's not the same.

Verdict

Reaction score
Top notch pass rushers are hard to come by in the NFL and if they didn't sign him it would be hard to instantly replace him. On the opposite side there are some red flags here like the shoulder and back, past suspension, while wondering if he will ever live up to a big contract. Smart teams are always seeking value for players and if his contract demands are that outrageous maybe you consider moving him for significant draft compensation. However, I would want more than a 1st round pick because the player you get in return in the draft is unknown and likely doesnt help you win more today at a premium position.

My thought is you wait to see how the franchise tag plays out and try to get him signed before camp. In the short term I would inquire on someone like Cameron Wake who is still productive as a part time player and provides some insurance on a short term deal.

The Cowboys should make a decision before free agency opens and be ready to move him on opening day of free agency if he hasn't reached a long term deal by then.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What would you do?

If Demarcus Lawrence and his agent are looking for top of the market "Khalil Mack money", what would you do if it were your decision?

• Would you pay it if it's well above $20 million a year?
  • Would you keep the tag in place and let the season play out?
  • Would you gauge the potential trade market and move on and look to replace him?
If the demands are too high, I think I would gauge the trade market and try to get the most I could for him and I'd also be talking to the few defensive ends who are actually hitting the market, starting with Trey Flowers. He's not Lawrence, but I could probably get him for $16 million a year.

If things with Lawrence can't be worked out, I think I'd look at both Flowers and then another DE given Gregory's indefinite suspension.

Does he need shoulder surgery?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tank doesn't come off as type of guy who will play on franchise tag. Dallas has two options: 1) Give Tank money he wants and make deep run into playoffs 2) trade him and punt on 2019 season because this Defense is built on QB pressure.

3) Force Lawrence to play on the tag again or hold out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I've read and listened to similar reports. And they've also mentioned that none of the agents for these tagged players wants to agree to a deal first. Because, like Donald's deal, it will quickly be outdone, and no agent want some to be that guy for his player, or any other potential clients.

The fact is, the Cowboys decision to wait another year on Lawrence has ended up costing them big. Between then and now, huge contracts for Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack have totally reset the market and what these players are looking for.

1000%

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The Cowboys should make a decision before free agency opens and be ready to move him on opening day of free agency if he hasn't reached a long term deal by then.

Depends on what they would get in return, if the best deal is a 2nd rounder for example let it play out. If someone is throwing an earlier 1st and 3rd and you're far off on the contract then yeah I could see the Cowboys making a decision earlier.

Verdict

Reaction score
Depends on what they would get in return, if the best deal is a 2nd rounder for example let it play out. If someone is throwing an earlier 1st and 3rd and you're far off on the contract then yeah I could see the Cowboys making a decision earlier.

It would be better to flip him for a second this year than be a part of a compensatory formula next season. It's supposedly a deep DL class. Tank was a second rounder. Should be able to get a decent DL player in the 2nd.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
KMack had a 14m cap hit Year One and a 23m hit Year Two(and Year 3-7)

That would save 6.5m off of this year's cap
How much space would we have next year and would it prevent us from keeping any of our top players? Everyone assumes we can't retain all of our top talent and I haven't seen anyone detail the numbers to really prove it. Lastly would it prevent us from signing any notable FA's this year? If a deal structured like Macks was added to the cap now what would the ripple affects be is what I'm asking. You seem to lay the numbers out in a concise no BS way.

Verdict

Reaction score
How much space would we have next year and would it prevent us from keeping any of our top players? Everyone assumes we can't retain all of our top talent and I haven't seen anyone detail the numbers to really prove it. Lastly would it prevent us from signing any notable FA's this year? If a deal structured like Macks was added to the cap now what would the ripple affects be is what I'm asking. You seem to lay the numbers out in a concise no BS way.

It's not really about that. The bigger issue is how it affects the cap over the duration of the deal.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
People don't like my answer

I would be all for signing DLaw even at 23m if the FO would go all in and maximize the cap

I believe in restructuring everyone and creating as much room as possible and borrowing from the future when the cap keeps going up.... we have 120m in cap space next year

If you create 50m in cap space and end up with 20m in Dead Money you are still up 30m

I would sign in order:
DLaw
ACooper
EThomas/LCollins/TMathieu
TAustin/Duke Johnson
Dak- in season
BJones-2020
JSmith-2020
Zeke-2021

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
What would you do?

If Demarcus Lawrence and his agent are looking for top of the market "Khalil Mack money", what would you do if it were your decision?

• Would you pay it if it's well above $20 million a year?
  • Would you keep the tag in place and let the season play out?
  • Would you gauge the potential trade market and move on and look to replace him?
If the demands are too high, I think I would gauge the trade market and try to get the most I could for him and I'd also be talking to the few defensive ends who are actually hitting the market, starting with Trey Flowers. He's not Lawrence, but I could probably get him for $16 million a year.

If things with Lawrence can't be worked out, I think I'd look at both Flowers and then another DE given Gregory's indefinite suspension.

If we're that far out on a deal I would ask the question "how motivated are we". If we're not "all in motivated" then where are we?. I wish we were privy to the deal offered. I get negotiation but don't tell me SJ didn't see this coming after last years FA tag. He must have known the demand was gonna be big if the player had a good "show me" year and it was good.

For what it's worth, I might start looking today at DE's out there in FA. I wouldn't sit back and wait. The closer you get to draft day, the lesser the talent available. I would trade him for a 1'st and third round pick too. |Don't close the door on any options including getting him signed by the end of March. That leaves 3-4 months to recuperate from surgery and be ready to go. The longer it drags on the bigger the drain on dollars and player availability

Last edited:

408Cowboy

Reaction score
People don't like my answer

I would be all for signing DLaw even at 23m if the FO would go all in and maximize the cap

I believe in restructuring everyone and creating as much room as possible and borrowing from the future when the cap keeps going up.... we have 120m in cap space next year

If you create 50m in cap space and end up with 20m in Dead Money you are still up 30m

I would sign in order:
DLaw
ACooper
EThomas/LCollins/TMathieu
TAustin/Duke Johnson
Dak- in season
BJones-2020
JSmith-2020
Zeke-2021
I could live with that.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I saw enough from Tank to give him what he wants. Give him his money and move on.The bigger problem is Dallas wants to pay Dak as franchise QB before he is actually a franchise QB. If Dak got paid what he is actually worth (middling QB) then this all fits.

This! But the problem is old jerrah wants to pay top dollar before he has too for Dak.