If McFadden drops to #22, Dallas should take Chris Johnson

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romoisgod;1997737 said:
HAHAHA This is th dumbest thread I have ever read. .

You clearly haven't been around here too long.

;)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Rampage;1998689 said:
i'm with you and rack. i'm sure dbair,bigdave and a few others are up for it too.

I think everyone knows where I stand on McFadden...he's the best player in the draft IMO and 13-3 teams almost never get a chance to add the best player in a draft...if we can do it reasonably I think we should...he will greatly improve our offense and our defense IMO, and he adds that homerun dimension we sorely lack

I never wanted Moss though and totally understood why we didnt take him at the time...

David

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
nathanlt;1997729 said:
I think that Chris Johnson would fit better than McFadden in Dallas. Marion Barber is a viciously tough runner, and Chris Johnson clearly is the change of pace back that would complement him. McFadden is a better pure running back than Chris Johnson, however, with the 4.24 forty time, Chris does a presnap shift to slot reciever, and suddenly, opposing defenses have to contend with a deion sanders speed at WR. I'll admit, Chris Johnson does not have any blocking capability to speak of, but with his versatility, has a slight edge over McFadden.

Besides, he's not dropping to #22 anyway, who are we kidding? Chris Johnson is a bargain at #22.

McFadden is going to drop to 22 and Jerry is going to pass on him:eek:

WOW:eek:

ndanger

Reaction score
Romoisgod;1997737 said:
HAHAHA This is th dumbest thread I have ever read. WOW! I hope you posted this for attention and not as a serious post. I mean I truly hope you are smarter then this. What is it that makes things go dumb in the night.
Sorry slick that title belongs to the thread below.You know the one you Fathered in the wee hours of the morning.Congrats !
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114770&referrerid=1857

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Who ever started this thread is a tool. Saying he fits better is totally different then saying we will pass on DMAC if he is there.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
nathanlt;1997741 said:
Seriously, a Deion Sanders type wide reciever would garner enough attention by himself at #22. Chris Johnson is an unbelievable speed back and lightning fast WR. He is underrated.

I'm serious.

What makes you think McFadden can't play receiver or return kicks just as well as Johnson? McFadden has good hands and he has exceled at times on kick returns.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
I can’t believe Terrell Owens is a Cowboy. He’s actually not, in my mind, but the DIRTBAG will be wearing the uniform. Because of his acts of defiance and mockery of our organization, our fans, and our star, I will no longer watch the Cowboys as long as his name is on the roster.

I have been a diehard Cowboy fan for 27 of my 32 years, beginning at age 5 while living in Dallas, and though I’ve been all over the world since then, the Cowboys have always gone with me. I am as diehard as they come.

This PUNK we have on the team is as different as any NFL player can be from Tom Landry’s persona. T.O. hated the Cowboys, and now wants to bilk money from us while driving the team into the ground with his cancerous attitude and 2 year old mentality. We’re paying millions for cancer?? I can’t bear to watch it and I won’t.

That is why, effective immediately, I am not watching the Cowboys, or posting on this board, until T.O. is gone. I request that the mods send an email notifying me when he is no longer on our roster, so that I can resume watching the games, and following the team. I love my Cowboys, I won’t watch them be torn apart by this spoiled brat.

It doesn’t bother me that people think I’m doing this for attention, or that my statement will make little impact among other fans. I’m doing it because I cannot stand him.
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=784466&highlight=spoiled#post784466

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1998780 said:
I think everyone knows where I stand on McFadden...he's the best player in the draft IMO and 13-3 teams almost never get a chance to add the best player in a draft...if we can do it reasonably I think we should...he will greatly improve our offense and our defense IMO, and he adds that homerun dimension we sorely lack

I never wanted Moss though and totally understood why we didnt take him at the time...

David
In 1991 the Washington Commanders were 14-2 and the Super Bowl Champs. In 1992 they moved all the way up to #4 (from 28) and got the guy many thought was the best Offensive player in the Draft, Desmond Howard. I still remember the reactions to this as the 1991 Commanders were already explosive. I also remember the results because of what they paid to move up that high. 9-7, lost in the Divisional playoffs, Cowboys win the Super Bowl.

I'd rather not repeat that debacle. Yes, I think McFadden is a better risk than Howard was. Doesn't matter. The price is too high and we are too close.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1999284 said:
In 1991 the Washington Commanders were 14-2 and the Super Bowl Champs. In 1992 they moved all the way up to #4 (from 28) and got the guy many thought was the best Offensive player in the Draft, Desmond Howard. I still remember the reactions to this as the 1991 Commanders were already explosive. I also remember the results because of what they paid to move up that high. 9-7, lost in the Divisional playoffs, Cowboys win the Super Bowl.

I'd rather not repeat that debacle. Yes, I think McFadden is a better risk than Howard was. Doesn't matter. The price is too high and we are too close.

Yeah I remember that. There were some differences though Hos.

#1 is the obvious difference in size and physical talent. McFadden is going to carry a grade higher than that of Howard.

#2 is the Commanders paid alot more to move up to 4 than we'd have to pay to move up to 6-7-8. They had the 6th or 7th pick of that draft that yr, plus their own #1 that was 28th. We'd only be trading away two picks in the 20's and maybe a middle rounders (3rd, 4th or 5th) or possibly a player like Ayodele or Carpenter (niether of whom have a future here)

Just because it didnt work for them, doesnt eman it wouldnt work for us.

And speaking of the 1992 draft. A look back at the Jimmy & Jerry show from that April:

1 (17) Kevin Smith CB Texas A&M
1 (24) Robert Jones MLB East Carolina
2 (36) Jimmy Smith WR Jackson St
2 (37) Darren Woodson DB Arizona St
3 (58) Clayton Holmes CB Carson Newman
3 (82) James Brown OL Virginia St
4 (109) Tom Myslinski OL Tennessee
5 (120) Greg Briggs DB Texas Southern
5 (121) Rod Milstead OG Delaware St
6 (149) Fallon Wacasey TE Tulsa
9 (248) Nate Kirtman DB Pamona Pitzer
9 (250) Chris Hall DB East Carolina
10 (275) John Terry OL Livingstone
11 (302) Tim Daniel WR Florida A&M
12 (317) Don Harris DB Texas Tech

Kevin Smith was a great pick, Jimmy Smith was a great pick but didnt work out here. Darren Woodson was a great pick. Clayton Holmes had immense talent but couldnt stay off the dope. But can you imagine the fan reaction to a draft like this today? We had 15 picks at the end of the day, and only two of them turned into good players for us. Robert Jones was a bust and was benched in his 2nd season before getting the MLB job back by default after Ken Norton left.

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1999381 said:
Yeah I remember that. There were some differences though Hos.
There is always going to be a difference Dave. That can't be helped. Even though it is a similar scenario something will make it not exact and that means someone will discount it. I've seen things discounted for no other reason than the colleges they came from are different. I can't give you a perfect scenario. Sorry. This is as good as it gets.

#1 is the obvious difference in size and physical talent. McFadden is going to carry a grade higher than that of Howard.
Ryan Leaf once carried a very high grade and one of the highest I ever saw was Tony Mandarich. High grades don't mean anything to me ultimately. I am NOT saying McFadden will bust. I am one of his biggest fans on this site. I love the kid. Just do not like the price.

#2 is the Commanders paid alot more to move up to 4 than we'd have to pay to move up to 6-7-8. They had the 6th or 7th pick of that draft that yr, plus their own #1 that was 28th. We'd only be trading away two picks in the 20's and maybe a middle rounders (3rd, 4th or 5th) or possibly a player like Ayodele or Carpenter (niether of whom have a future here)
I don't care how much they paid. I care about how much we'd have to pay and that makes it a no go for me. I do not want to do it. I would not do it. My mind cannot be changed on this matter. I have never seen high prices like that, Joey Galloway, Rickey Williams, or Herschel Walker work out. It just doesn't finish the puzzle like some think.

Just because it didnt work for them, doesnt eman it wouldnt work for us.
Doesn't mean it will either. I think the odds are not in our favor even though I think we're a better team than the 1992 Commanders. I just don't like the price and no amount of trade voodoo is going to change that for me. Once bitten, twice shy.

And speaking of the 1992 draft. A look back at the Jimmy & Jerry show from that April:

1 (17) Kevin Smith CB Texas A&M
1 (24) Robert Jones MLB East Carolina
2 (36) Jimmy Smith WR Jackson St
2 (37) Darren Woodson DB Arizona St
3 (58) Clayton Holmes CB Carson Newman
3 (82) James Brown OL Virginia St
4 (109) Tom Myslinski OL Tennessee
5 (120) Greg Briggs DB Texas Southern
5 (121) Rod Milstead OG Delaware St
6 (149) Fallon Wacasey TE Tulsa
9 (248) Nate Kirtman DB Pamona Pitzer
9 (250) Chris Hall DB East Carolina
10 (275) John Terry OL Livingstone
11 (302) Tim Daniel WR Florida A&M
12 (317) Don Harris DB Texas Tech

Kevin Smith was a great pick, Jimmy Smith was a great pick but didnt work out here. Darren Woodson was a great pick. Clayton Holmes had immense talent but couldnt stay off the dope. But can you imagine the fan reaction to a draft like this today? We had 15 picks at the end of the day, and only two of them turned into good players for us. Robert Jones was a bust and was benched in his 2nd season before getting the MLB job back by default after Ken Norton left.

David
Are you kidding? I'd have wet dreams to have another Draft like that. Any time you get 3 solid contributors from a Draft it is as powerful to me as getting one superstar in a draft. That's also why I don't want to pay the price to get McFadden. I can live with any number of RBs in this Draft because I love Barber already. I want to focus on CB first, WR second, and RB third for the top 3 needs. Going for McFadden makes the other 2 needs less likely to be filled and I don't want that under any circumstance.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1999388 said:
Are you kidding? I'd have wet dreams to have another Draft like that. Any time you get 3 solid contributors from a Draft it is as powerful to me as getting one superstar in a draft. That's also why I don't want to pay the price to get McFadden. I can live with any number of RBs in this Draft because I love Barber already. I want to focus on CB first, WR second, and RB third for the top 3 needs. Going for McFadden makes the other 2 needs less likely to be filled and I don't want that under any circumstance.

Hos please...we got Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson. Unfortunately Jimmy Smith didnt work out, but all the other picks turned out bad, including our other 1st rd pick, who turned out to be JAG despite being a workout warrior.

You cant tell me that if we somehow ended up with 15 picks and only got 2 legit players for us over time that thats a good draft. That draft ended up being an example of quantity over quality. (which isnt why I originally posted it by the way)

I can get McFadden in my scenario, still get a CB or two in the 2nd and 4th rounds and have other picks left over. It's even possible that I could get McFadden and only net losing one pick. I do either of those all day long with this team. After the top-2-3 CB's there isnt much difference (if any) in the next half dozen or more, so why not get better value there instead of overdrafting based on perceived need? (which almost never works out either) In terms of WR, there isnt one of them that you can guarantee even gets on the field as a rookie. The track record of WRs chosen in the 1st rd (especially where we'll be picking) is very poor when it comes to what sort of impact they make in their first yr or two. I kinda like Malcolm Kelly and think Manningham has a chance to make a contribution early if he's on the right team, but other than them the rest are huge crapshots and are guys who could easily ride the pine all yr (and possibly further).

I will say if we dont trade up for McFadden, IMO there's no reason to take a RB in round one and would then focus on trying to somehow come out of the first rd with one the best WR and one of the better CB's, and we'd probably have to trade up at least once and maybe twice to insure that happened.

David

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1999401 said:
Hos please...we got Kevin Smith and Darren Woodson. Unfortunately Jimmy Smith didnt work out, but all the other picks turned out bad, including our other 1st rd pick, who turned out to be JAG despite being a workout warrior.

You cant tell me that if we somehow ended up with 15 picks and only got 2 legit players for us over time that thats a good draft. That draft ended up being an example of quantity over quality. (which isnt why I originally posted it by the way)
Robert Jones and Clayton Holmes also contributed here and I was including Jones in the 3 good contributors.

I can get McFadden in my scenario, still get a CB or two in the 2nd and 4th rounds and have other picks left over. It's even possible that I could get McFadden and only net losing one pick. I do either of those all day long with this team. After the top-2-3 CB's there isnt much difference (if any) in the next half dozen or more, so why not get better value there instead of overdrafting based on perceived need? (which almost never works out either) In terms of WR, there isnt one of them that you can guarantee even gets on the field as a rookie. The track record of WRs chosen in the 1st rd (especially where we'll be picking) is very poor when it comes to what sort of impact they make in their first yr or two. I kinda like Malcolm Kelly and think Manningham has a chance to make a contribution early if he's on the right team, but other than them the rest are huge crapshots and are guys who could easily ride the pine all yr (and possibly further).
Too much speculation. Rather do that in the stock market.

I will say if we dont trade up for McFadden, IMO there's no reason to take a RB in round one and would then focus on trying to somehow come out of the first rd with one the best WR and one of the better CB's, and we'd probably have to trade up at least once and maybe twice to insure that happened.

David
I would take Stewart if he fell to 28. Might feel the same about Jones. Definitely would about Mendenhall. I would prefer to take a RB in round 2 or 3 personally because Barber is who I hope starts. Slaton in round 3 would be more than cool with me.

It is entirely about price for me. It has nothing whatsoever to do with doubts about McFadden.

J-DOG

Reaction score
nathanlt;1997729 said:
I think that Chris Johnson would fit better than McFadden in Dallas. Marion Barber is a viciously tough runner, and Chris Johnson clearly is the change of pace back that would complement him. McFadden is a better pure running back than Chris Johnson, however, with the 4.24 forty time, Chris does a presnap shift to slot reciever, and suddenly, opposing defenses have to contend with a deion sanders speed at WR. I'll admit, Chris Johnson does not have any blocking capability to speak of, but with his versatility, has a slight edge over McFadden.

Besides, he's not dropping to #22 anyway, who are we kidding? Chris Johnson is a bargain at #22.
Agree.
Everybody is quick to criticize Johnson as not an every-down type rb, but he is so versatile you can use him in a lot of ways.
He came into college as a wr.
He had more receptions(126) than Devin Thomas (wr Mich St) had in his whole college career.
You put this kid in the slot and you really create big-time mismatches for the defense. With Chris Johnson's kind of speed you really open up the field for Witten and TO even more.
What could we add to our offense that we didn't have last year???
Speed!!!

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Hostile;1999411 said:
Robert Jones and Clayton Holmes also contributed here and I was including Jones in the 3 good contributors.

sure they contributed, but both ended up being busts...one because he just wasnt very good and the other because of drugs

I would take Stewart if he fell to 28. Might feel the same about Jones. Definitely would about Mendenhall. I would prefer to take a RB in round 2 or 3 personally because Barber is who I hope starts. Slaton in round 3 would be more than cool with me.

count me as anti-Stewart and Mendenhall because of their systems. Slaton plays the same system but he can be had much later in the draft (probvably 4th or 5th at this point) and if he doesnt work out its not as big a deal. I still havent seen anyone find me a solid to good skill player (especially RB or QB) that came from that system. And Stewart stays dinged up alot and is now coming off toe surgery, which to me is another red flag.

It is entirely about price for me. It has nothing whatsoever to do with doubts about McFadden.

I wouldnt be for it if it became cost prohibitive (to me that means both 1sts and any of our quality starters, or both 1sts and next yrs 1st). But if its what I keep thinking it is, I think its a good move and greatly improves the team. He's more of a certain impact player than anyone we can draft in the 20's. It's quite possible that nobody we draft amount so any real help this yr, that wont be the case with McFadden unless he gets hurt.

David

nathanlt

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1999433 said:
Wow, I tried hard not to comment on such a awful thread but I couldn't resist! Dude are you serious???

Yes, I'm serious. If you read the first post completely, I acknowledge that McFadden will not drop to #22. Therefore, I am placing extra emphasis on the fact that Chris Johnson is versatile, and his style is extreme is terms of change of pace for Barber.
The title is an attention grabber, and if it came down to the two of them, I wouldn't lose my mind if either one was selected. I wouldn't be dissappointed if Dallas selected McFadden, but I wouldn't be dissappointed if Dallas selected Chris Johnson instead.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;1999474 said:
I wouldnt be for it if it became cost prohibitive (to me that means both 1sts and any of our quality starters, or both 1sts and next yrs 1st). But if its what I keep thinking it is, I think its a good move and greatly improves the team. He's more of a certain impact player than anyone we can draft in the 20's. It's quite possible that nobody we draft amount so any real help this yr, that wont be the case with McFadden unless he gets hurt.

David
If we could pull it off without giving up both 1sts and our 2nd round pick, I'd consider it. Even if that meant our 1st next year. I just don't believe that price is anything but a faery tale.