If Mike McCarthy is gone, I want Tomlin

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And I'm sure it was mentioned here but that 2012 Commander team had four offensive guys that have gone on to be decent at worse coaches so far.

Sean McVay
Kyle Shannahan
Mike McDaniel
Matt LaFleur

I know Dallas tried youth with Jason Garrett who should have never been given 10+ years. But the idea was right. I think we need avoid falling into another trap of a lethargic coach like McCarthy.

Well, I mean, what young coach would you go with? I'm all for trying it, but the young coach would have to be a physical type of coach for me. We need to be more physical.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Tomlin is a great motivator and seems like a great guy. But for the folks who aren't crazy about some of Mike's in-game decisions, watch some of the goofy stuff Tomlin has done. This board would blow up after every loss, worse than it does now.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You asked if he could handle the offensive situation and I answered you. Are you a bot because you don’t make any sense.

He has won everywhere he has been. Stanford, 49ers and Michigan were not good when he got there. Won the Pac12 with Stanford, won the NFC with 49ers, won a national title at Michigan. I think he could handle it just fine.

So now with all the evidence pointing in my favor- you answer my question: what has he done to show he can’t handle the offensive situation?

You must be an Ohio State fan
That was on the Collegiate levels and your point, no records and why changes occured. Maybe those are cherry picked personal associations.

Who was it that fired him in the NFL? Wasn't it the San Francisco GM? Now take your stance back to a non supporter of your label is stupid. You have twice labeled me not presenting in speech, and you have presented to here, beyond building him as your candidate to replace Mike McCarthy. That is a type of discussion. First, we don't know if he is in fact gone.

I'm at your 2 sentence level for convenience and retort...but for your pompous talk, it has all been good English and developmental in structure.

As to the Pac-12, that in a period when UCLA, USC, and Cal were down as teams? Stanford was competitive but show-up teams during dominance of those 3. How did that Stanford do against Oregon and Washington?

Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson were the teams the past ten years. Oh, Michigan is all world in college, after the Michigan faced serious problems to even be retained there.

Oh, stating twice now that problems follow the man...STILL, good English.

UncleRico

Reaction score
That was on the Collegiate levels and your point, no records and why changes occured. Maybe those are cherry picked personal associations.

Who was it that fired him in the NFL? Wasn't it the San Francisco GM? Now take your stance back to a non supporter of your label is stupid. You have twice labeled me not presenting in speech, and you have presented to here, beyond building him as your candidate to replace Mike McCarthy. That is a type of discussion. First, we don't know if he is in fact gone.

I'm at your 2 sentence level for convenience and retort...but for your pompous talk, it has all been good English and developmental in structure.

As to the Pac-12, that in a period when UCLA, USC, and Cal were down as teams? Stanford was competitive but show-up teams during dominance of those 3. How did that Stanford do against Oregon and Washington?

Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson were the teams the past ten years. Oh, Michigan is all world in college, after the Michigan faced serious problems to even be retained there.

Oh, stating twice now that problems follow the man...STILL, good English.
49ers are a college team? Wrong again

Kwyn

Reaction score
This thread should be closed. Tomlin came out today and said he’s going to be in Pittsburgh next year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tomlin is a great coach. Who has one more year on his contract in Pittsburgh. And he has spent the last two decades working for an organization that lets him have complete control over the locker room and discipline of his players.

Jimmy Johnson was the last Cowboys HC who had that level of control. It is more likely to snow in Dallas on the 4th of July than Mike Tomlin ever agreeing to be the head coach of this organization as it currently operates.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Jerry has hired three retreads, Parcells, Phillips, and McCarthy, and it’s only led to two playoff wins. The best success the Cowboys have had at head coach in their history is growing with a young coach. Garrett won as many playoff games with the Cowboys as Parcells, Phillips and McCarthy and he had very little coaching experience when he got the job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry has hired three retreads, Parcells, Phillips, and McCarthy, and it’s only led to two playoff wins. The best success the Cowboys have had at head coach in their history is growing with a young coach. Garrett won as many playoff games with the Cowboys as Parcells, Phillips and McCarthy and he had very little coaching experience when he got the job.
I get your point and it is true about Garrett. But he won 2 playoff games in 10 years.

Are we saying that Garrett is now the gold standard of Cowboys coaching? Are we saying we’re better off with a complete greenhorn who was never allowed to hire his own staff and was dictated by Daddy Jones every major decision including who would call plays?

I‘m not opposed to hiring a young up and coming HC. But if Jerry doesn’t change the way he does his role, why will it matter?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get your point and it is true about Garrett. But he won 2 playoff games in 10 years.

Are we saying that Garrett is now the gold standard of Cowboys coaching? Are we saying we’re better off with a complete greenhorn who was never allowed to hire his own staff and was dictated by Daddy Jones every major decision including who would call plays?

I‘m not opposed to hiring a young up and coming HC. But if Jerry doesn’t change the way he does his role, why will it matter?
Garrett was head coach for 9 full seasons. I’m not counting the interim 2010 season. Parcells, Phillips and McCarthy coached the Cowboys for 11 full seasons. Wade was fired during the halfway point of his fourth season. We did have a 13 win number one seeded team under Garrett. That team was built under him, unlike the 13 win team we had in 07 that was built by Parcells. Garrett won 13 games with a rookie QB in 2016 and that team also set a franchise record with 11 straight wins. That team also lost to Green Bay but it was to Aaron Rodgers and it was a very competitive game. Garrett lost to the Packers twice but both games were very competitive. No way was this 9-8 Green Bay team better than the ones we lost to with Aaron Rodgers.

Garrett certainly isn’t the gold standard, but those other three coaches combined didn’t do more than he did. We certainly showed more fight in our playoff losses under Garrett than we did this past Sunday. Jerry likely won’t hire a young first time head coach, because he might feel like it may take time for them to learn how to be a head coach and the clock is ticking on him. If Jerry doesn’t change how he operates the team, it’s not going to make any difference who he hires as head coach. We see a lot of the same problems under every HC he’s hired.

CCBoy

Reaction score
49ers are a college team? Wrong again
Roll over and eat crap...Charlie Chaplin. Try Cantiflas and then Red Skelton...then just shut up and go home.

You better hustle, your Regulators are leaving, they heard that there was troubles at the border. I was a Border Bandit with A&I. Since you are just choked full of ignorance, that was the defensive side for the Javelinas and National Champs with 7 future Pro Bowlers in the NFL. now fall behind in something as easy as a discussion...REGULATER!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Tomlin is a great coach. Who has one more year on his contract in Pittsburgh. And he has spent the last two decades working for an organization that lets him have complete control over the locker room and discipline of his players.

Jimmy Johnson was the last Cowboys HC who had that level of control. It is more likely to snow in Dallas on the 4th of July than Mike Tomlin ever agreeing to be the head coach of this organization as it currently operates.
(chuckling) Now, have the Cowboys beat said world power?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I have a hunch that Tomlin might leave Pittsburgh after the loss today. If Mike McCarthy is gone, I want Tomlin. He's a tough coach. He can bring a mindset to this team that it's been lacking for a while. He is a defencive-minded HC, and he has a lot of intensity. Hopefully, he can get a good OC and can make us a much more physical team. He might be able to find us a good running game and a good run defence. I think he would be exactly what we need.
I don't think tomlin's gonna be available so we already talking about the four other head coaches that could possibly come here and some actual available coaches that can come here we can't be talking about one that's not even gone yet..... I think Bill Belichick can do every bit the same thing that Tomlin can do especially here as much as people wanna say we don't have talent that the talents all overrated they're soft they don't execute this team right now if we keep Prescott for one more year under the same contract make a few changes on defense with bigger defensive lineman and linebackers go after rebuilding the actual defense draft make this a defensive draft outside of running back we can work with this offense..

That's the exact scenario that Bill Belichick could thrive on heck vrabel can probably do the same thing. I mean we saw vrabel if I'm not mistaken get to a AFC championship game with a quarterback we both know it's not as good as Prescott he did it with defense and a run game they were physical so I think even he would be an option here we need a defensive minded top head coach that has a coaching tree and some clout to bring in and steal people's coaches to fill out a coaching staff... That's my opinion I mean Tom was not available but these other two are very similar coaches...