If not Garrett then who??

roy31

Reaction score
I don't know why, but for some reason Garrett can't seem to get this offense rolling . Any ideas of who could fix it and maybe take over the offense next year or do you think Garrett will get it straightened out?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think Mike Martz would do a great job with all the weapons we have here. But I'd prefer someone whose a little more run first.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Future;2519590 said:
I think Mike Martz would do a great job with all the weapons we have here. But I'd prefer someone whose a little more run first.
You know, I thought Martz would be good as the HC, but after watching his act in SF, I don't want him anywhere near Romo.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2519596 said:
You know, I thought Martz would be good as the HC, but after watching his act in SF, I don't want him anywhere near Romo.

Eh, I don't like him as an HC really...what did he do in SF that you didn't like? I juust didn't follow the 49ers enough, shame on me:laugh2:

Don Corleone

Reaction score
roy31;2519539 said:
I don't know why, but for some reason Garrett can't seem to get this offense rolling . Any ideas of who could fix it and maybe take over the offense next year or do you think Garrett will get it straightened out?

I don't want him here, but Holmgren would be the obvious choice for dealing with a QB that has a penchant for throwing the ball up for grabs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A post season review of our 2008 season will show the coaching staff what they did wrong vs 2007. There is plenty of corrections to be made but keep one thing in mind. No Felix and Kosier hurt this offense a lot. Garrett stays and does well.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2519600 said:
I don't want him here, but Holmgren would be the obvious choice for dealing with a QB that has a penchant for throwing the ball up for grabs.
having holmgren would mean cleaning everyone out and starting over.

that is a far fetched idea.

plus then romo and the rest of the offense have to learn a whole new offense from the ground up.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
theebs;2519606 said:
having holmgren would mean cleaning everyone out and starting over.

that is a far fetched idea.

plus then romo and the rest of the offense have to learn a whole new offense from the ground up.

Our current offense, if you really break it down, isn't drastically different from the west coast offense. We incorporate certain aspects of it already, but not all of it.

I also think Holmgren's offense suits our personnel very well.

I agree that it is far fetched, but when you think about Holmgren's success in dealing with Favre, he seems to be good fit for Romo.

Romo isn't going anywhere. JJ has too much invested in him. JJ will do anything to make sure Romo succeeds.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Future;2519599 said:
Eh, I don't like him as an HC really...what did he do in SF that you didn't like? I juust didn't follow the 49ers enough, shame on me:laugh2:
It's not so much the on-field stuff, which can be suspect.

It's the stuff I've read about how much he politics in the background. It's what got him booted out of Stl, Det, and now probably SF.

Re: I don't know that Garrett needs to be replaced, but I do think he needs to do some self-analysis. Maybe even consult with other OCs in the league. Folks didn't like Zim, but one of the things I liked about him was that he researched and culled info from various sources re: his craft.

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Has anyone consulted Rampage? He seems to full of ideas on how to fix the offense. :D

scottsp

Reaction score
What we run now has the classic earmarks of a Mike Martz attack.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Just to run the offense and not the team?

If he loses Sunday they call him Norv Turner and we don't have to learn a new system. Better preparation, execution, play calling and over all understanding. Hope the Chargers lose as much as we win.

McDaniel could but he'll be a HC and we'd need to learn a new system.

Martz could also and his system is similar however he has a mind of his own. We need talented coordinators that are accountable to a real head coach. You want the offense fixed it starts with that concept. This offense and defense being on their own island has this team unbalanced on game days.

Our best option is for San Diego to lose so we can get Norv for the OC. Pretty much any big time coach in this league would accept Norv as their OC coordinator. Possibly Wade as their DC also. The bottom line is we can't fix the offense without having a new head coach and Garrett is gone. Norv won't be Wades DC and I can't have Captain Cupcake being HC here anymore either if we fail to make the playoffs or win a playoff game. That would teach these players nothing.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
The problem is, you wont really make any big changes without firing Wade.

Wade finally is doing what he was supposed to, make this damn Defense play better.

The only scenario I would really like would be Holmgren and whoever he brings as OC, and then somone like Dom Capers running the defense.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2519614 said:
Our current offense, if you really break it down, isn't drastically different from the west coast offense. We incorporate certain aspects of it already, but not all of it.

I agree that it is far fetched, but when you think about Holmgren's success in dealing with Favre, he seems to be good fit for Romo.

Romo isn't going anywhere. JJ has too much invested in him. JJ will do anything to make sure Romo succeeds.

If JJ has half a brain, and he does, he will do anything to help Romo succeed while providing this team with 1 ultimate leader at the HC position of course. Now if Holmgren, which is a good option in my opinion, doesn't happen there is a guy named Ron Wolf who helped get Favre in GB and also acted as a consultant a few training camps ago as per Parcells request.

The biggest reason was to evaluate Romo and he found that Romo and Favre are 2 totally different QB's, in fact Wolf saw Steve Young in Romo. I say ask Mr.Wolf to visit next years training camp again regardless who is coach. It would benefit Tony.

What do you guys think of David Lee coming by to be the OC or some fancy title where maybe he helps draw up the plays also but doesn't necessarily call them on game day? He was instrumental in Romo's development and is a college OC currently.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Future;2519590 said:

If you want Martz, be prepared for Romo to throw about 20 picks per season, and get sacked around 40-50 times.

The Martz offense has been figured out, it isnt 2000 anymore.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2519614 said:

I have to agree. WCO would fit our personnel alot more.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Don Corleone;2519600 said:

I also get the feeling that Holmgren would be a good fit here in Dallas.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Bill Musgrave. He has experience as an off. coordinator and has done and outstanding job as Qb coach in Atlanta with Matt Ryan.