If the Cowboys traded w/Bears, who do you want at 20?

Brooksey

Reaction score
Love McNeil, see him as the best 1T in the entire class, but worry the Cowboys don't feel the same as he doesn't offer much rush abilities. Think the 3-4 Teams will be more interested as he played 0 T on the college level. If they are going to take another 3T, Milton Williams appears to be their target.

Probably right..the other possibility at the position is M.Wilson in the third as a 1-Tech. He's a better pass rusher better than McNeil or at least he was in 18-19, i'm not sure what this guys's deal is. Plan B we can always draft an anchor guy like Bobby Brown later in the the fifth.

We need to at least draw some double teams at the 1T, stuff the run and free up these LB's

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Many of the reputable media scouts have Barmore rated in the 40's; Jeramiah, Pauline, McShay. Dane even said he has a chance to go in rd 2. Personally, I think many are overrating the prospect, he isn't as good as those prior Bama players like Allen or Payne at this stage. Think many are pushing him up due to the lack of talent at the position.

Maybe. I just go by what I see and that's a player who started off the season with a preseason injury and came on the second half of the season, including in the all-important playoffs. He finished with eight sacks and I don't think that was a fluke. The only things keeping him from being a top 10 prospect IMO are the lack of early-season production and the fact that he has some work to do as a run defender.

I'm OK, though, if he goes in Round 2 and we get him there. We've just go to do something to try to make our interior hard to handle at both positions. We need a nose who can't be moved or negated by one lineman, forcing offenses to have to double him longer, which will allow the linebackers to flow to the ball, and we need a 3-tech who consistently beats single blocking to get into the backfield, either forcing double teams or causing backs to have to avoid him and quarterbacks to not be able to step up into the pocket.

We have neither of those things right now. Woods is a decent nose plug as far as holding his ground goes, but he's not really a threat when singled so teams don't worry about more than giving him a quick double to move him where they want him and then move on to the linebackers. Hill has shown little disruptive ability in his two seasons while Gallimore showed some at times last year, but nothing we should be counting on as the quality of 3-tech that we need.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Many of the reputable media scouts have Barmore rated in the 40's; Jeramiah, Pauline, McShay. Dane even said he has a chance to go in rd 2. Personally, I think many are overrating the prospect, he isn't as good as those prior Bama players like Allen or Payne at this stage. Think many are pushing him up due to the lack of talent at the position.

By the way, I don't think we'll take Barmore. Based on who we've been rumored to be interested in, I think we'll take Surtain/Horn at 10 or Zaven Collins with a trade down. I think we'll take Jevon Holland in the second if he's there when we pick and some combination of Tommy Togiaia, Milton Williams and Marvin Wilson in the third and fourth (possibly just one, but maybe two of them)

Obviously, who we take will depend on who is available, but I think our interest kind of shows where we are looking at these positions.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
By the way, I don't think we'll take Barmore. Based on who we've been rumored to be interested in, I think we'll take Surtain/Horn at 10 or Zaven Collins with a trade down. I think we'll take Jevon Holland in the second if he's there when we pick and some combination of Tommy Togiaia, Milton Williams and Marvin Wilson in the third and fourth (possibly just one, but maybe two of them)

Obviously, who we take will depend on who is available, but I think our interest kind of shows where we are looking at these positions.
I agree with your assessment, looking like Corner or Collins and you mentioned the DT's we have been linked to.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Maybe. I just go by what I see and that's a player who started off the season with a preseason injury and came on the second half of the season, including in the all-important playoffs. He finished with eight sacks and I don't think that was a fluke. The only things keeping him from being a top 10 prospect IMO are the lack of early-season production and the fact that he has some work to do as a run defender.

I'm OK, though, if he goes in Round 2 and we get him there. We've just go to do something to try to make our interior hard to handle at both positions. We need a nose who can't be moved or negated by one lineman, forcing offenses to have to double him longer, which will allow the linebackers to flow to the ball, and we need a 3-tech who consistently beats single blocking to get into the backfield, either forcing double teams or causing backs to have to avoid him and quarterbacks to not be able to step up into the pocket.

We have neither of those things right now. Woods is a decent nose plug as far as holding his ground goes, but he's not really a threat when singled so teams don't worry about more than giving him a quick double to move him where they want him and then move on to the linebackers. Hill has shown little disruptive ability in his two seasons while Gallimore showed some at times last year, but nothing we should be counting on as the quality of 3-tech that we need.

My biggest worry about Barmore is he was a part time player, Bama used other lineman to stop the run. Many have stated he disappears and show up late, when Bama is ahead of the scoreboard. He did have an excellent postseason, but in 1 of those games, he did it against a backup lineman.

gimmesix

Reaction score
My biggest worry about Barmore is he was a part time player, Bama used other lineman to stop the run. Many have stated he disappears and show up late, when Bama is ahead of the scoreboard. He did have an excellent postseason, but in 1 of those games, he did it against a backup lineman.

And that's why I'm not going to complain if we don't take him. To my eyes, he looks like the type of player we need at 3-tech, but he could go later than I think he will, he could bust, etc. I just really want us to fix those interior line positions. If a player like Davyion Nixon or Togiai or even Milton Williams is seen as a better selection for that, who am I to argue until they either succeed or fail?

I will be watching to see if my assessment of Barmore is accurate, though, in comparison. I believe he's the player we need, but if we don't draft him, I'll be hoping I was wrong and the Cowboys are right in whatever choice they make. If they don't address the tackle spots at all, it's only then that I will be sorely disappointed.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
And that's why I'm not going to complain if we don't take him. To my eyes, he looks like the type of player we need at 3-tech, but he could go later than I think he will, he could bust, etc. I just really want us to fix those interior line positions. If a player like Davyion Nixon or Togiai or even Milton Williams is seen as a better selection for that, who am I to argue until they either succeed or fail?

I will be watching to see if my assessment of Barmore is accurate, though, in comparison. I believe he's the player we need, but if we don't draft him, I'll be hoping I was wrong and the Cowboys are right in whatever choice they make. If they don't address the tackle spots at all, it's only then that I will be sorely disappointed.
Think the best hope is to draft a legitimate 1T, say Marvin Williams or Togiai two we have been linked to and either a natural 3T or one of those inside/outside players who kick inside in the nickel, such as Basham, Payton types. To me Barmore is a 3T, but think the Cowboys are eyeing Milton Williams who would be more of an upside pick. How many do we need?

gimmesix

Reaction score
Think the best hope is to draft a legitimate 1T, say Marvin Williams or Togiai two we have been linked to and either a natural 3T or one of those inside/outside players who kick inside in the nickel, such as Basham, Payton types. To me Barmore is a 3T, but think the Cowboys are eyeing Milton Williams who would be more of an upside pick. How many do we need?

I think one of each (3T and 1T) would suffice, although I wouldn't be upset if we went after two 3-tech types, especially if wait until the third round or later to draft them, because we need to get that position right. I think we will keep a total of 10 linemen. Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Gallimore and Urban are absolutes IMO. Woods might be close to a lock and I'd hate for them to give up on Anae after one season. That makes seven.

So if we drafted three, we'd have to cut Trysten Hill, Dorance Armstrong, Ron'Dell Carter, Justin Hamilton, Ladarius Hamilton, Walter Palmore, Breeland Speaks and Carlos Watkins. And if they perform better than Woods and Anae, then we could keep a couple of them instead. A couple also could end up on the practice squad.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think one of each (3T and 1T) would suffice, although I wouldn't be upset if we went after two 3-tech types, especially if wait until the third round or later to draft them, because we need to get that position right. I think we will keep a total of 10 linemen. Lawrence, Gregory, Basham, Gallimore and Urban are absolutes IMO. Woods might be close to a lock and I'd hate for them to give up on Anae after one season. That makes seven.

So if we drafted three, we'd have to cut Trysten Hill, Dorance Armstrong, Ron'Dell Carter, Justin Hamilton, Ladarius Hamilton, Walter Palmore, Breeland Speaks and Carlos Watkins. And if they perform better than Woods and Anae, then we could keep a couple of them instead. A couple also could end up on the practice squad.
I think they will draft a 1T who can play some three and an inside/outside lineman, one who is a base defensive end and kicks inside in the nickel.

Malhavoc

Reaction score
if Barmore slips to the end of round 1 I’d have no problem with moving up to get him. I like Gallimore but Barmore is a far superior prospect.

Techsass

Reaction score
The one good thing about trading down is that we could possibly end up landing three starting defensive players in the first two rounds, including a starting corner, which we have to have. My preference would be to end up with a stud 3-tech, a starting corner and a starting free safety with those three picks. We can add challengers/future at linebacker and offensive tackle, plus a NT, in the next couple of rounds.

Let's say we landed Barmore, Grant and Melifonwu in the first two rounds. I'd be thrilled with that. Then if we could come back with McNeill, Shelvin or Wilson in the next two rounds, I'd be pretty happy with the draft.
Oh heck yeah! I've warmed up to Surtain & Horn, but the drop off, if any, isn't enough to pass on getting 3 almost guaranteed upgrades.

J-man

Reaction score
At 20 my top targets would be Phillips, OJ, Collins, JOK or Davis in that order.
Not that I wouldn't want Barmore, Moehrig or Newsome. But to me Barmore isn't much better than Levi, and I actually like McNeil better than both of them. Newsome is good, but so are a couple others that can be had at 44 and later, such as Farley, Stokes, Melifonwu, Campbell and Adebo. As much as I want a FS (and Moehrig is the best one in this class), I don't see him as a better player than Phillips, OJ, JOk or Collins, maybe Davis. But TBH I see pick 20 a little rich for him. Plus Grant and Holland can both play very well and can be had in, or closer to, rd 2.

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Barmore 100% but if Im the Bears I sit there and take a top 3 QB at #20 Davis Mills.

DanA

Reaction score
I feel like at 20 we are an outside chance to get Vera-Tucker, Horn, Darrisaw, or Parsons. I’d be hoping for one of the four.