If they target a trenches player at 26, which would have the biggest impact?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-We are well aware that this is probably Tyron Smith's last season with the team. Zach Martin also is getting older. Team really needs another interior starter.
-The defensive line is in a similar situation, how much longer can we expect DLaw to play at a high level? What about DT, which probably is the weakest position on the entire team. We have no long-term NT, still waiting on the likes of Osa/Gallimore/Golston to take the next step.

-With the starting 5 on the OL pretty set, don't see a rookie seeing full time starter snaps.
-Team only values pass rushing DT's high up in the draft, we can exclude any two down NT's
-Team has always valued DE's/Edge rushers, but they already have trouble giving Sam Williams snaps. Armstrong/Fowler are fa's in 2024.

You can make a case for drafting any of the three. Believe our run defense really struggled more on the edges then within the interior, maybe taking an big DE makes some sense. Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, taking another starting caliber, offensive lineman would have a high level plan in place.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Taking a 2 down run plugger would make the biggest year 1 impact but would be the worst possible use of a 1st rounder IMO.

Take the premium position at OT / Edge and prepare for the future without Smith and Tank.
Just started another post, looks like Quinn is working out some of the high Edge defenders, perhaps this is the area they will address at 26.

reddyuta

Reaction score
it will be a DE at 26 if they want to bolster the DLine but i hope they pick offense .

baltcowboy

Reaction score
-We are well aware that this is probably Tyron Smith's last season with the team. Zach Martin also is getting older. Team really needs another interior starter.
-The defensive line is in a similar situation, how much longer can we expect DLaw to play at a high level? What about DT, which probably is the weakest position on the entire team. We have no long-term NT, still waiting on the likes of Osa/Gallimore/Golston to take the next step.

-With the starting 5 on the OL pretty set, don't see a rookie seeing full time starter snaps.
-Team only values pass rushing DT's high up in the draft, we can exclude any two down NT's
-Team has always valued DE's/Edge rushers, but they already have trouble giving Sam Williams snaps. Armstrong/Fowler are fa's in 2024.

You can make a case for drafting any of the three. Believe our run defense really struggled more on the edges then within the interior, maybe taking an big DE makes some sense. Tyron hasn't played a full season in years, taking another starting caliber, offensive lineman would have a high level plan in place.
I am trying to win this season. We need a 1 tech more then a offensive tackle. Mazi Smith all day everyday.

morasp

Reaction score
If they could stretch his arms I would say Calijah Kancey but it will be fun to see how he does this season.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
There's room for a LG and a DT (1T or 3T) to jump in and play immediately.

I am with Cnu though. I don't really love either the DTs or the OGs in this class, and the edge class is great, so I'm biased towards that direction. Will McDonald would totally be worth pick #26 IMO... he is exactly the kind of high-octane speed rusher that Dan Quinn loves.

Needs change so fast in the pros, and I don't like to go hunting for them. Back in 2021, we were stacked at WR with Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, and Cedrick Wilson. Fast forward to 2022, and Noah Brown and 33yo TY Hilton are front-line starters in playoff games. Similarly, DE looks loaded right now, but it could change just as quick.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I am with Cnu though. I don't really love either the DTs or the OGs in this class, and the edge class is great, so I'm biased towards that direction. Will McDonald would totally be worth pick #26 IMO... he is exactly the kind of high-octane speed rusher that Dan Quinn loves.

Needs change so fast in the pros, and I don't like to go hunting for them. Back in 2021, we were stacked at WR with Cooper, Gallup, Lamb, and Cedrick Wilson. Fast forward to 2022, and Noah Brown and 33yo TY Hilton are front-line starters in playoff games. Similarly, DE looks loaded right now, but it could change just as quick.
I could see Tyron and Tyler starting out manning the left side AND we just signed a rock solid swing OT / G so even if Tyron goes down we’re covered at LG IMO.

Breese might fall and he was once considered a 1st round lock talent but he hasn’t looked the same post injury and dealing with family loss this year. Just too much gamble…hard pass on Mazi.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I am trying to win this season. We need a 1 tech more then a offensive tackle. Mazi Smith all day everyday.
Once again, they haven't take a high 2 down player in years, as they see him as a part time defender who only plays 30% of the snaps. I'm expecting Hankins and another drafted on late day 2 or day 3.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

You are right, the greater value is at edge or if one of the top 4 corners fell compared to both Guard and DT. Edge is a high valued position as well.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Once again, they haven't take a high 2 down player in years, as they see him as a part time defender who only plays 30% of the snaps. I'm expecting Hankins and another drafted on late day 2 or day 3.
The two teams that we are competing against run the football and have really good offensive lines. Mazi all day everyday. Neglecting the defensive line has killed this team. Hankins is a bum why do you think he is still a free agent.

cnuball21

Reaction score
The two teams that we are competing against run the football and have really good offensive lines. Mazi all day everyday. Neglecting the defensive line has killed this team. Hankins is a bum why do you think he is still a free agent.
We played solid run D against all of the best RBs in football last year including the Eagles and 49ers.

I’m all for continuing to build the DT room but not at the expense of reaching over better talent.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
We played solid run D against all of the best RBs in football last year including the Eagles and 49ers.

I’m all for continuing to build the DT room but not at the expense of reaching over better talent.
Carlos Watkins played his butt off in the playoffs. Imagine Carlos, Hankins and Mazi together with a helping of Osa and Gholston. Solid front to go along with elite pass rushers and a elite secondary. Time to stop putting the defensive line together with tape and bubble gum.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Carlos Watkins played his butt off in the playoffs. Imagine Carlos, Hankins and Mazi together with a helping of Osa and Gholston. Solid front to go along with elite pass rushers and an elite secondary. Time to stop putting the defensive line together with tape and bubble gum.
If we’re talking about adding a 2 down run stuffing DT I’d much rather do it on day 2/3.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
The best value, and the biggest impact is and should be O'Cyrus Torrence, he is the only natural LG, and is a necessity to improve the offensive line, and also keep in mind that Zack Martin and Tyron Smith are on their way out, prospects like Torrence are very few and far between

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The best value, and the biggest impact is and should be O'Cyrus Torrence, he is the only natural LG, and is a necessity to improve the offensive line, and also keep in mind that Zack Martin and Tyron Smith are on their way out, prospects like Torrence are very few and far between
Torrence is good, but he worries me as a pass protector.