If Trey Lance gets his rhythm, do the Cowboys roll the dice?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Cowboys are not always first round exits. They beat Tampa and they beat Seattle. It's stupid to get rid of your core when it's just 1 year. You would be an idiot. The major problem the Cowboys have is they use house rules to limit their success.
I don’t even consider the wild card a real round. The wild card is for a chance to get to the first round and there where we lose every year.

I’m not advising a rebuild what I’m saying is if you truly are going to waste a year of guys in their 30s why would you’ve not trade them?

Why would you keep Zack Martin and D Law if you are going to throw a year away when this could very well be their last season?

Gotta stop being reactionary and start being proactive. But that’s not the Jerry Jones way.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
Stopped reading after the first half of the first sentence.

exciter

Reaction score
It's funny how a certain group keeps telling us that Dak Prescott is the answer, yet we sit here 8 yes later without a championship.
They'll mock any other ideas, but they can't backup their claims that Dak is the answer. :facepalm:
Lol wow!
Peyton Manning didn’t win a SB until his 10th season. Drew Brees who may have been the 2nd best QB to ever play, his 8th and then was only able to get one in over 16 seasons.
This the QB isn’t any good because he hasn’t won a SB in some odd seasons is like the dumbest of dumb arguments. It shows a clearly
childish and juvenile comprehension of how competitive sports work!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trey can look fantastic the next 2 PS games. He will not replace Dak as the starter.
Unless an injury, then they have to play him. I think he will get the starts over Rush if that is the case.
Or he would replace Rush after a few games.

leeblair

Reaction score
To be fair, some fans can be ready to move on from Dak and simply not think Lance is the guy to replace him.

Not all fans are Dak homers or haters.
If the Cowboys want to take the next step the are going to have to be bold.
They know Dak is not the answer, but Lance might be. If he shows considerable improvement in the preseason, they need to make a choice.
They can save a ton of cash and be proactive in their quest for a Super Bowl.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Lance played 65 snaps in preseason with the 49ers last season and sucked so badly he lost the backup spot to Sam Darnold. He again demonstrated vs the Rams he’s light years from being ready to be a competent NFL Quarterback. But sure, if you can find someone desperate enough to offer a conditional 6th or 7th take it!
Lance's numbers last preseason were pretty good.

66.7% completion rate
8.6 yds per attempt
101 passer rating

2022 preseason was even better, but a smaller sample.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Trey can look fantastic the next 2 PS games. He will not replace Dak as the starter.
Unless an injury, then they have to play him. I think he will get the starts over Rush if that is the case.
Or he would replace Rush after a few games.
Dak gets injured and will be out even just four regular games Tannehill gets the starts. McCarthy isn’t trusting his contract year to two guys who have less game experience than Zach Wilson, and arguably less ability.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Lance would need to perform like Dak did in his rookie preseason for them to make the change. For anyone who didn't see it, Dak was really really good

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Lance isn’t a West Coast offense QB. If anything he’s a Run and Shoot / Option QB. If you utilize his running ability and arm strength with the deep ball, he may have success. He needs an offense like the falcons had with Vick. Unfortunately that won’t be happening in Dallas.

exciter

Reaction score
Lance's numbers last preseason were pretty good.

66.7% completion rate
8.6 yds per attempt
101 passer rating

2022 preseason was even better, but a smaller sample.
And yet he was beaten out by Sam Darnold!
Oh, and the head coach, who runs a QB friendly offense and is on record for saying he “specifically targeted Lance” walked away after only 2 seasons!

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should, because it's a win-win
if Trey is good. We have a quarterback, if plays bad we have a top pick to get a quarterback. No-brainer.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Contrary to what the Lance critics in this thread say, I can think of 5 million reasons why he will stick with the Cowboys, at least this season. And I'm on record as saying that my standard for Lance is if he improves throughout preseason, then I would keep him and just let him continue to develop. I could care less what he did with the 49ers and how he got here.

That being said, he hasn't even beat out Cooper Rush for the backup job yet. I'm not even going to entertain Lance as Dak's replacement until that happens. Beating out Cooper Rush, BTW, is attainable. Lance is more gifted athletically and is younger and as long as Lance got resigned to a cheaper contract, I would have no problem with Lance as the backup QB.

Kudos at least for having the guts to post this thread. You had to have known that it was going to draw the CZ Moron Stampede, right?

Kevinicus

Reaction score
And yet he was beaten out by Sam Darnold!
Oh, and the head coach, who runs a QB friendly offense and is on record for saying he “specifically targeted Lance” walked away after only 2 seasons!
I don't think Shannahan's handling of the QB position is to be emulated. He's been all over the place.

And that doesn't change the fact that he was not "so bad" last preseason as claimed.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Until proven otherwise, Trey Lance sucks and wouldn’t make the roster if it were a simple measure of who can help the team if Dak goes down.