If Trey Lance gets his rhythm, do the Cowboys roll the dice?

rambo2

Reaction score
if we were an NFL team trying to win, sure. But we are not, we are teh Dallas Cowboys. We keep players who we know cant do what the team needs, we put winning behind the dollar. we put jersey sales above talent, and we dont aqcuire what the team needs to get over the hump. What we do show is, we know nothiong without a good head coach who gives us a loaded team. We do NOT understand what it takes to tread water in this league, let alone win. We waste time , commodities all for the showman ship of a Circus act.
Lol, you lost me when you claim that the Cowboys aren't trying to win. You claim they aren't treading water when they win 12 games a year.

GINeric

Reaction score
It's funny how a certain group keeps telling us that Dak Prescott is the answer, yet we sit here 8 yes later without a championship.
They'll mock any other ideas, but they can't backup their claims that Dak is the answer. :facepalm:

Dak isn't elite, but what about the other great quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 8 years? Did you keep that same energy for them as well???

I could gladly list them for you.....

A couple of them even made it to the Hall of Fame.

So again, did you say the same thing about other very good quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 8 years (technically 7 because Dak missed a season due to injury)

So did you keep the same energy for other very good quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 7, 8 years?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Lol, you lost me when you claim that the Cowboys aren't trying to win. You claim they aren't treading water when they win 12 games a year.

serious question to ask, if the Eagles dont melt down, do you think Dallas does as well on their own?

Adreme

Reaction score
serious question to ask, if the Eagles dont melt down, do you think Dallas does as well on their own?
Probably better because then instead of being a team with a S at LB facing a team that likes to power run in GB they are facing Tampa who does not actually know that the QB can do things besides throw the ball.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Probably better because then instead of being a team with a S at LB facing a team that likes to power run in GB they are facing Tampa who does not actually know that the QB can do things besides throw the ball.
sure, why not, DAllas has always done that. Proof is in the pudding. but just to make sure we both hit it home, no, DAllas still gets crushed. Dallas is not doing anything on their own. They had to have a team melt down, and than reality reminded them and their fans how bad they sucked. Any other team would be scoring on them and autographing their helmets

Adreme

Reaction score
sure, why not, DAllas has always done that. Proof is in the pudding. but just to make sure we both hit it home, no, DAllas still gets crushed. Dallas is not doing anything on their own. They had to have a team melt down, and than reality reminded them and their fans how bad they sucked. Any other team would be scoring on them and autographing their helmets
Odd because that did not happen and has not happened. It did not even happen in the playoffs. Dallas has lost every year in the playoffs to the same formula: control the LoS and power run the football. The proof, as you put it, is in the pudding. When the Cowboys played Tampa, with a better QB 2 years ago, they won because Tampa does not run. When they then played a power run team they lost because they cant do that. It is a massive weakness that means they cant beat SF or GB but it also means they fare well against teams that are not those teams such as Tampa and Detroit (who they beat already last year).

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Odd because that did not happen and has not happened. It did not even happen in the playoffs. Dallas has lost every year in the playoffs to the same formula: control the LoS and power run the football. The proof, as you put it, is in the pudding. When the Cowboys played Tampa, with a better QB 2 years ago, they won because Tampa does not run. When they then played a power run team they lost because they cant do that. It is a massive weakness that means they cant beat SF or GB but it also means they fare well against teams that are not those teams such as Tampa and Detroit (who they beat already last year).
yiou jsut prioved my point, dallas doesnt change up, you do know who does? Other teams that win. Do you really think other teams wuld be like, "Lets put Dallas in a positon to win?" Do you? No, someone would have spotted that, or knew of Dallas weaknesses, WHICH are many and just saod you know what, DAllas sucks in the red zone, we ll just challenge them there, beacuse you know who beats Dallas, Any good team. Again we are only talking because the Eagles melted down and Dallas backed in. Sure enough no matter who they would play in the playoffs would crush them, do you have stats tell you that from the playoffs? Do you have any playoff stat in which your scenario happened? 2 years ago? ooo yea, because otehr teams dont make changes. thats laughable. stop now, please.

Adreme

Reaction score
yiou jsut prioved my point, dallas doesnt change up, you do know who does? Other teams that win. Do you really think other teams wuld be like, "Lets put Dallas in a positon to win?" Do you? No, someone would have spotted that, or knew of Dallas weaknesses, WHICH are many and just saod you know what, DAllas sucks in the red zone, we ll just challenge them there, beacuse you know who beats Dallas, Any good team. Again we are only talking because the Eagles melted down and Dallas backed in. Sure enough no matter who they would play in the playoffs would crush them, do you have stats tell you that from the playoffs? Do you have any playoff stat in which your scenario happened? 2 years ago? ooo yea, because otehr teams dont make changes. thats laughable. stop now, please.
I mean they sometimes they suck in the Redzone. That is part of the inconsistency. For example in 2022 they were 1st in RZ offense and 2021 they were 6th but in 2023 they were 12th so it is very inconsistent.

Again though not any good team beat Dallas. They beat Detroit, they beat the Rams, and they beat the Eagles. I dont think anyone honestly thinks that Tampa could beat them which basically means they could not beat 2 teams in the NFC in GB and SF, which is problematic if the goal is SB but is not the doomsday scenario you painted.

I like that your entire premise is that only data from one game last year can be used because you know its the only way your argument works. If you limit the sample size to 1 you can make it say whatever you want.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
I mean they sometimes they suck in the Redzone. That is part of the inconsistency. For example in 2022 they were 1st in RZ offense and 2021 they were 6th but in 2023 they were 12th so it is very inconsistent.

Again though not any good team beat Dallas. They beat Detroit, they beat the Rams, and they beat the Eagles. I dont think anyone honestly thinks that Tampa could beat them which basically means they could not beat 2 teams in the NFC in GB and SF, which is problematic if the goal is SB but is not the doomsday scenario you painted.

I like that your entire premise is that only data from one game last year can be used because you know its the only way your argument works. If you limit the sample size to 1 you can make it say whatever you want.
29 or 28 years, however it is backs me up. this is not a one decade or two decades, this is a culture. A culture, thats waht backs me up, DAllas looks at their problems from the previous year and just kicks them into the new year. yes Dallas nmight win a few, but if the Eagles never melt down, Dallas doesnt get into the playoffs.

Dallas is not a team that can do it on their own, they need help. Put the stats away and watch the team year after year Stats dont tell you that. There is bad and then there is culture bad. Dallas has a culture problem.

ShiningStar

Reaction score

show me the stat that backs you up in a playoff game. that we won because of the better system vs that system so we can all see the data in the playoffs.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
Dak isn't elite, but what about the other great quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 8 years? Did you keep that same energy for them as well???

I could gladly list them for you.....

A couple of them even made it to the Hall of Fame.

So again, did you say the same thing about other very good quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 8 years (technically 7 because Dak missed a season due to injury)

So did you keep the same energy for other very good quarterbacks who didn't win a championship in 7, 8 years?
Thank you for making the case of why we don't pay CHOKOTA !!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why NOT where are we going with DAKTRASH?
The best-case scenario is another one and done in the playoffs.
Are the Stans so turned on from beating dog teams?
Sicko stuff here real sick.

csirl

Reaction score
Lance doesnt need to show franchise QB skills to be the opening day starter. All he needs to show is that he's equal or even slightly worse than Dak thus allowing us to cut Dak and use the regular season salary saving on other players.

Makes no sense to keep Dak on the roster unless he is significantly better.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
Trey Lance getting opportunities to perform in preseason games has demonstrated one thing very clearly to me. That one thing is, re-signing Dak Prescott is critical to the future of the Cowboys. Trey Lance hasn't even wrestled the QB2 job away from Cooper Rush. I don't recommend resigning Trey beyond this year.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
Lance doesnt need to show franchise QB skills to be the opening day starter. All he needs to show is that he's equal or even slightly worse than Dak thus allowing us to cut Dak and use the regular season salary saving on other players.

Makes no sense to keep Dak on the roster unless he is significantly better.
Err Dak is significantly better

Even though Dak has been underwhelming in the playoffs there are only 5 quarterbacks currently in the league that have won a Super Bowl. These things are hard to win. Dak is comfortably in the top 10 quarterbacks and that is why Jerry won't just let him go for a complete unknown. Also it's not totally true when some people say Jerry doesn't care about winning. He does to the point where he wants the Cowboys to at least be competing for a playoff spot. 5-12 doesn't do it for Jerry

Chasing6

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
I am assuming you mean preseason rhythm?