If Trey Lance gets his rhythm, do the Cowboys roll the dice?

leeblair

Reaction score
Stopped reading after the first half of the first sentence.
Of course you would.
It doesn't talk about your brother.

Four years from now you will still be swearing Dak is the greatest and the team around him sucks.
The way you are so willing to blame everyone but Dak when he chokes you should want him to go somewhere else where the team doesn't let him down.
I know I do.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If the Cowboys want to take the next step the are going to have to be bold.
They know Dak is not the answer, but Lance might be. If he shows considerable improvement in the preseason, they need to make a choice.
They can save a ton of cash and be proactive in their quest for a Super Bowl.
:lmao: :lmao:Dude, they just offered him a $50 mil + contract!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

If they aren't going to commit to Lance, why have him?
Trey lance didn't look good. Let's make sure we not fantasize or lie about something that's farthest from reality.

That's just an opinion and only in the midst of about 4 people on this site who watched the game half drunk.

He looked hesitant. Average. Overly safe. Didn't make plays..missed WIDE open receivers, consistently over threw receivers.

Even his coach was meh about him.

So if henplays just like this for two games. He is a sure cut candidate as right now Rush is way above him.

And you are talking about a 4th year player.

Now all this because of two reasons.

1- you hate Dak so you want to cut your nose despite your face

2- he is 3rd over all pick. Obvious now he was way over drafted. If he was a 6th or 7th round pick he would be cut already. In fact we have in the past with the likes of DeNucci and White who did better than Lance.

So yeah Lance has to totally ball out and dominate to even have a chance at making this team.

He is your Tashard Choice being as good as Emmitt and Kellen Moore is a HOF type QB..

Yeah, sorry I take your opinions and think the exact opposite. I have a 99.999999999% chance of being right.

Now you can take that to the bank

leeblair

Reaction score
:lmao: :lmao:Dude, they just offered him a $50 mil + contract!
Yeah, but he hasn't signed it yet, has he?
Maybe there's something there that let's the Cowboys out of the contract if Dak lays another egg?
There should be.

Adreme

Reaction score
Trey Lance looked pretty good in last week's outing, considering that he hasn't played in a couple of years. Sure he had some misses, but he showed a lot of potential. With playing time his initial rough patches should smooth out.
So the question is, should the Cowboys roll the dice and commit to Trey Lance as the future since they have a more than capable backup in Cooper Rush, who has proven he can win if needed? They could solve future salary cap issues before they happen by locking Lance down to a four or five year deal for less money than they are expecting to pay Dak.

T
he Cowboys really could have Trey Lance ready to start next season for a fraction of what they expect to be paying Dak, who has proven that he does not come through in crunch time.
I think the fans would support the change, and a happy fan base means more money for Jerry.

They have him because it was a bad trade where they overpaid for a backup QB.

On the topic of cheaper though let’s dive into that. If Lance has a historically good career turn around then he might be equal to Dak, a top 10 QB. If that happens, then you will have him next year for 10m and then after he signs a 5 year 330-335m dollar contract. Meanwhile in that 1 year you had 42m in dead cap from Dak do you still will have massive QB cap hits going forward.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, but he hasn't signed it yet, has he?
Maybe there's something there that let's the Cowboys out of the contract if Dak lays another egg?
There should be.
But you said they know he’s not the answer yet they offered him a huge contract! LOL!

ArtClink

Reaction score

T

Lance is terrible and an obvious waste of a 4th round pick. We could have drafted a much needed RB but instead Jerry will insist he didnt mk a mistake thus ensuring Lance will be around a few more seasons.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's funny how a certain group keeps telling us that Dak Prescott is the answer, yet we sit here 8 yes later without a championship.
They'll mock any other ideas, but they can't backup their claims that Dak is the answer. :facepalm:
What I find astounding is your comment which puts everything on Dak and ignores failures with the defenses, offensive lines, and most importantly the Jones boys who should have their faces on every wanted poster in Texas. Don't feel bad. You have plenty of company here.

I don't see anyone stating Dak is the answer. So you based your folly on a premise, if it were a watercraft, would have a similarity to the Titanic. Further, you lay claim to Lance looking good in the pre-season game. The best pass of the day was a deep ball to Brooks.

But wait, that was Rush throwing it.

Other than a few runs made by Lance, he looked like more of the same Jerry has ushered in on the cheap. At this point - and I actually despise myself for typing this - Quincy Carter looked better than anything Lance has done in his career as a pro footballer, when Quincy was throwing interceptions.

I don't know. Maybe Lance looks better in the shower. You'll have to ask Jerry.

But what I do know LeeBlair is this. The moment you start praising a player, it is almost cast in stone that guy will crash and burn.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What I find astounding is your comment which puts everything on Dak and ignores failures with the defenses, offensive lines, and most importantly the Jones boys who should have their faces on every wanted poster in Texas. Don't feel bad. You have plenty of company here.

I don't see anyone stating Dak is the answer. So you based your folly on a premise, if it were a watercraft, would have a similarity to the Titanic. Further, you lay claim to Lance looking good in the pre-season game. The best pass of the day was a deep ball to Brooks.

But wait, that was Rush throwing it.

Other than a few runs made by Lance, he looked like more of the same Jerry has ushered in on the cheap. At this point - and I actually despise myself for typing this - Quincy Carter looked better than anything Lance has done in his career as a pro footballer, when Quincy was throwing interceptions.

I don't know. Maybe Lance looks better in the shower. You'll have to ask Jerry.

But what I do know LeeBlair is this. The moment you start praising a player, it is almost cast in stone that guy will crash and burn.
The moment you start praising a player, it is almost cast in stone that guy will crash and burn.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak gets injured and will be out even just four regular games Tannehill gets the starts. McCarthy isn’t trusting his contract year to two guys who have less game experience than Zach Wilson, and arguably less ability.
Do you think Jerry would actually allow that To happen? :muttley:

Forneymike

Reaction score

T

He was not that good against a bunch of guys not making the Rams team. He should come back here for 2-3 million and keep learning

rags747

Reaction score
Personally I’m 100% ready to get a fist load of picks for Dak and roll with Lance, 100%! I just do not get the angst with people being unwilling to do this. You are not putting $100k in a penny stock where u could lose everything. You are making a change that will have ZERO IMPACT on your life at all, like who the F cares? Roll the dice, it’s house money!

cowboyec

Reaction score
he looks much better tonight...after that first possession.
i do love the way he runs the ball.
but he looks like he's settled in.

Loso86

Reaction score
Trey lance didn't look good. Let's make sure we not fantasize or lie about something that's farthest from reality.

That's just an opinion and only in the midst of about 4 people on this site who watched the game half drunk.

He looked hesitant. Average. Overly safe. Didn't make plays..missed WIDE open receivers, consistently over threw receivers.

Even his coach was meh about him.

So if henplays just like this for two games. He is a sure cut candidate as right now Rush is way above him.

And you are talking about a 4th year player.

Now all this because of two reasons.

1- you hate Dak so you want to cut your nose despite your face

2- he is 3rd over all pick. Obvious now he was way over drafted. If he was a 6th or 7th round pick he would be cut already. In fact we have in the past with the likes of DeNucci and White who did better than Lance.

So yeah Lance has to totally ball out and dominate to even have a chance at making this team.

He is your Tashard Choice being as good as Emmitt and Kellen Moore is a HOF type QB..

Yeah, sorry I take your opinions and think the exact opposite. I have a 99.999999999% chance of being right.

Now you can take that to the bank
Didn't look good when!?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
They are already committed to Lance.
If so, instead of negotiating with Prescott for an extension shouldn’t the team approach Lance for an extension? He certainly isn’t going to be in a $55 million AAV conversation. He’d certainly be less expensive now than he will in March 2025 if he becomes a QB1 and even only does just OK. As of now he becomes a free agent the same day Dak does. This would be a good time not to wait to sign a guy.

rambo2

Reaction score
The QB that gets us to the SB is not currently on the roster.
Lol, that's a ridiculous thing to say. Do you want to sign Nick Foles out of retirement? What the hell do you know about qbs and Super Bowls? Are you some kind guru that can predict that Nick Foles is a Super Bowl winner? Tell me how you get this super power to know what qbs will win a Super Bowl?

ShiningStar

Reaction score
If so, instead of negotiating with Prescott for an extension shouldn’t the team approach Lance for an extension? He certainly isn’t going to be in a $55 million AAV conversation. He’d certainly be less expensive now than he will in March 2025 if he becomes a QB1 and even only does just OK. As of now he becomes a free agent the same day Dak does. This would be a good time not to wait to sign a guy.

if we were an NFL team trying to win, sure. But we are not, we are teh Dallas Cowboys. We keep players who we know cant do what the team needs, we put winning behind the dollar. we put jersey sales above talent, and we dont aqcuire what the team needs to get over the hump. What we do show is, we know nothiong without a good head coach who gives us a loaded team. We do NOT understand what it takes to tread water in this league, let alone win. We waste time , commodities all for the showman ship of a Circus act.

rambo2

Reaction score
Lance played 65 snaps in preseason with the 49ers last season and sucked so badly he lost the backup spot to Sam Darnold. He again demonstrated vs the Rams he’s light years from being ready to be a competent NFL Quarterback. But sure, if you can find someone desperate enough to offer a conditional 6th or 7th take it!
Nope they should keep and develop him.