If Washington beats us, and unless Dak does something incredible

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Sanchez at QB is the dumbest idea I have heard yet.

I agree, Dak has shown enough that it would make no sense to get him as much experience as possible. Everyone already knows exactly what Sanchez is, no need to go down that road if you don't have to.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I get what the original poster is saying, but this is the NFL. A rookie who gets his confidence crushed at QB by losing his rookie year isn't much of a prospect. CB's have to have short memories and extreme confidence; so do QB's. I don't think Dak is that soft. The only reason you bench Dak is if HE is the reason we are losing; of course you try something else then, and if you ever end up out of the race all together, I say you start Dak the rest of the way and let him learn on the field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No way would I go with Sanchez if Dak continues to show improvement. Even if this season goes down the drain at least if he improves from week to week we can take something positive away from this season. The only way you pull him for Sanchez is if his wheels start coming off him and there's a risk he could be ruined. If we're seeing strides stay with him and allow him to continue to develop, it could benefit us down the road.

He's receiving a lot of valuable experience and didn't turn the ball over once last week despite 45 attempts plus he didn't take a sack. We're not going to get anywhere with Sanchez throwing the ball 45 times that would lead to a turnover fest. He didn't go to training camp with us and if we're going to lose I would rather lose with Dak. You can take something positive away from a loss losing with a rookie QB but not with a journeyman.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Complete nonsense. Leave him in until Romo gets back.

Peyton Manning first year-3-13
Troy Aikman 0-11

Rather give him the experience and see how he handles it. We know who Sanchez is.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Last year we probably could have won some games with Weeden, but we panicked and jumped ship to Cassel.

That's one of the more moronic statements I've seen in some time. Cassel may not be much better than Weeden, but he's certainly not worse.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I agree, Dak has shown enough that it would make no sense to get him as much experience as possible. Everyone already knows exactly what Sanchez is, no need to go down that road if you don't have to.

Dak played well last week. If the coaching staff can just open up more the kid will shine.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Think of what happened to Carr in Houston. We could easily ruin Dak by throwing him to the wolves.

Carr didn't have an OL he got sacked a zillion times that's what helped ruin him. Dak is playing behind a solid OL that protected him well on Sunday. He didn't take a single sack or suffer a turnover. Losing doesn't ruin a QB it's taking a beating and turning the ball over that ruins them. There's a lot of positives that can be taken away from Daks performance. We were in the game the entire day and didn't relinquish the lead until the final 6 minutes when the defense began to fold. If we can avoid long down situations and run the ball better we can win with Dak, provided the defense can make a damn stop when games on the line.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
if Washington beats us, and unless Dak does something incredible, I would go with Sanchez until Romo gets back.

Now before you rip me up, follow the logic. Dak has shown the tools to play in this league. He has also demonstrated he still has some learning to go through. I would hate to see him go 0-6 or 1-5, then get replaced and have Romo turn it around and finish the season 7-1.

That would do two things, both bad. First, fans and media would blame all the losses on Dak. Even worse, Dak would blame all the losses on Dak. We know that he is a rookie and experience is important, but once he gets a mind set of losing, it is extremely difficult to get rid of it. His confidence could be seriously impacted.

Sanchez has the experience, and could accept the losses without near as much damage. He understands his role, and it isn't like he hasn't gone through it before. His experience might win an extra game or so, as well.

Think of what happened to Carr in Houston. We could easily ruin Dak by throwing him to the wolves.

I would much rather go down with Dak and respectfully disagree. I think Dak has the confidence of the coaches/players and is 10x better than anything last year with the promise of growth/youth. Sanchez is a guaranteed "accident waiting to happen" without experience with THIS TEAM. For all the uproar that's taken place on this board, Dak has done a great job of taking care of the ball and not turning it over. This in case you weren't aware, is Sanchez' specialty.

Tom [Giants fan]

Reaction score
I am befuddled that this was even suggested. Have you watched Sanchez play? He is not an NFL starter. What you have is someone with serious potential and will only improve with playing experience in Dak Prescott. You let the kid play and learn as he goes. Starting Sanchez accomplishes nothing except lets outsiders make fun of the Cowboys and the debacle that would be Mark Sanchez.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak played well last week. If the coaching staff can just open up more the kid will shine.

Hard to open it up when you're facing long down situations all day due to your lead back averaging less than 3.0 a carry. We need to run the ball a lot better and reduce Dak's attempts because we had trouble winning with Romo attempting 40+ passes. Dak's 45 attempts on Sunday was the second most by a rookie QB. We're not going to win games being pass happy, we couldn't win with Romo being pass happy and we're certainly not going to win with a rookie QB being pass happy. We have to get the running game going and have manageable downs and distances. Hard to be successful looking at a 3rd and 20. We were too far behind the chains most of the day and that has to change.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
if Washington beats us, and unless Dak does something incredible, I would go with Sanchez until Romo gets back.

Now before you rip me up, follow the logic. Dak has shown the tools to play in this league. He has also demonstrated he still has some learning to go through. I would hate to see him go 0-6 or 1-5, then get replaced and have Romo turn it around and finish the season 7-1.

That would do two things, both bad. First, fans and media would blame all the losses on Dak. Even worse, Dak would blame all the losses on Dak. We know that he is a rookie and experience is important, but once he gets a mind set of losing, it is extremely difficult to get rid of it. His confidence could be seriously impacted.

Sanchez has the experience, and could accept the losses without near as much damage. He understands his role, and it isn't like he hasn't gone through it before. His experience might win an extra game or so, as well.

Oh hell no. We ride with the rookie. Dak is not weak mentally. He won't get ruined. Promise ya that.

JDSmith

Reaction score
That's one of the more moronic statements I've seen in some time. Cassel may not be much better than Weeden, but he's certainly not worse.

He's no better, not at all. And he wasn't familiar with the system. And he sucked.

fortdick

Reaction score
Confidence is a major part of QB play. Just pointing out that he missed a wide open Beasley at the end of the game can either cause him to get better, or doubt himself.

It is easy to say Dak has to be tough, but you can ruin him with a lot of failure early. The more he wants to succeed, the more losing will affect him. For good or for bad.

If you really think he has the talent to lead this team in the future, handle him properly and carefully. Let him develope, not flounder.

Cmac

Reaction score

It's simple.....Dak's performance shouldn't be based on win/lose.....it should be based on...."Did he make errors to help the lost?"...."Are his errors attributed to youth/coaching?....so far....he has looked far better than anything tossed out their last year to replace Romo.....placing all blame on the Rookie would be bad.....and more bad when Sanchez comes in.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

If Dak plays like he did against New York (good enough to win, but not great), I'd continue to start him to get him that experience and find out if he can be the future.

If Dak is the reason for the loss, I start him again the next week. If we lose and he's the reason again, I sit him with the idea of developing him, picking up a quarterback in next year's draft to at least compete with him and playing Sanchez with the hope that he'll at least be able to get us a win or two before Romo returns.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score

I can't agree with any of this. Get your future QB reps, even if it means suffering losses. He's our future.

Our situation compared to the EXPANSION TEAM TEXANS are nothing alike, and thus invalidates the entire comparison.