If we just pay everyone

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Pay Cooper now and force Zeke and Dak to play out their deals. Franchise Dak and let him seek a trade. Take the high picks but what it more likely is no team will be willing to give up high picks and pay him $30+ million a year. At that point he will have no choice but to be more realistic with his salary demands. If not he can play under the tag or sit out while you prepare another QB to take his place. As for Zeke, I no longer care at all. It is exhausting being forced to root for him. I’m perfectly fine letting Weber and Pollard tote the rock this year and if they don’t work out, go get another RB as well.

CPanther95

Reaction score
The fact that Jerry is playing hard ball shows is he thinks the owners are going to stick to their guns in the CBA negotiations.

If he thought they're was any chance that there was going to be a radical increase in the salary cap, he'd be locking them up.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I certainly don't agree with 8-8 in the near term. But really...who cares about win/loss and making the playoffs anymore if you can't be a legit contender?

All 3 playoff wins were in that stat. If you can routinely make the playoffs and get out of the wildcard round, that's definitely something.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can you imagine if Dallas paid top five money to 6 players just on offense alone?

Not to mention Lawrence, and with Vander Esch, Jaylon, and Jones, too?

Meanwhile, New England doesn't pay top five money to anyone on their team.
NE does but he is selective where he puts that money and when. He will pay CB's and he will DL and OL if he doesn't think he has the replacement in mind. He got his cap to where he could give his QB an 8M bump and they have one of his youngest teams ever.

Belichick decided with the evolution of the NFL passing game that his emphasis would be on those CBs and he has 2 of the top 6 and will pick more and go the FA route if he misses but he's decided that is critical and it has an ancillary benefit. His WR's work against CB's that are designed for the quick shutdown and his QB gets rid of the ball faster than any other QB. His QB and WR's are working against the top tandem in the league and his CB's against the quickest release.

That's like a team having their run D work against the best RB so they're prepared against the run. What? Really? Never mind.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
There is something fundamentally wrong with the salaries being bandied about. According to agents, Dallas has:
- The best RB in football
- One of the best WR's in football
- One of the best DE's in football
- Some very good DB's
- Two of the best LB's
- One of the best OL's
- A QB who should be nearly the highest paid player in the NFL

Basically, almost across the board Dallas is near the best.

As much as I love the team . . . bullcrap. These guys aren't going to go 16-0. Before the Cooper trade, Dallas was trending towards one of the worst records in the NFL. There is some significant overrating going on. If Jerry doesn't get rational deals here he is going to end up losing some players and paying the full cap for a team that struggles to make 8-8.
COACHING!!! Jerry is reaping what he has sown

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The fact that Jerry is playing hard ball shows is he thinks the owners are going to stick to their guns in the CBA negotiations.

If he thought they're was any chance that there was going to be a radical increase in the salary cap, he'd be locking them up.
He does have the inside track on that from both sides. I think you are right, he knows what's coming.

Tooter_Magee

Reaction score
They could care less about the window, they care about getting theirs and that's all they care about. The rest of that BS is just fluff for the fans.

Every professional athlete is a mercenary available to the highest bidder.

I don't agree that "every" pro athlete will just go to the highest bidder. We've seen plenty examples of this. Particularly in the NBA where players take less to either 1) get on contending team or 2) have a better place to live in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
as some are suggesting, it's back to 8-8. That is what this formula gets you. Paying a few stars a ton of money always leads back to mediocrity. Especially if they're mostly on one side of the ball.
And why it’s so important to win now before we need to pay everyone cause once you begin picking and choosing it rips the core apart.

If we had closer to an Elite QB or defense we could focus on retaining our strength.

That’s what we need to define . What is our current strength?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't mind the players making the money, but 50 million bucks is being sneezed at and called "disrespecting". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I used to think I'd always be a football fan, but I'm starting to wonder.
Brother, preaching to the choir on that and time was they'd leave the business out of the game but the money has taken the sport over. Even the damned commentators doing the game bring it up.

That's the main reason I went back to college ball and spend more time with that. It's a lot easier to make the game matter more.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Byron Jones look as good as gone.

La'el Collins is gone.

Maliek looks ready for a breakout but can we afford him?

Jaylon is about due for a new deal and he will get a big contract.

All of these big contracts and we have no championships to show for it so my worry is we get locked into these players for the next 5 years and the team around them gets worse.

IF they weren't able to win a title with better players around them I don't see them doing it when they get paid and the team around them deteriorates.
At least these guys are all in their prime. No retread veteran free agents.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You pay them and make sure you gain talent through the draft.

The difference between the (early)Romo era and the Dak era is that the Cowboys have been better at the draft during the latter era.

That's where you get cheap talent for 4 years.
Correct. We have been drafting better overall recently. And in Cap era you must continue to draft well to churn the rosters only able to retain the most Elite in crucial positions to the team’s success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't mind the players making the money, but 50 million bucks is being sneezed at and called "disrespecting". One of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I used to think I'd always be a football fan, but I'm starting to wonder.
It’s all relative. We don’t mind actors making 25-40 million a film or Rappers making 100 million a tour.

The owners implemented this Salary Cap crap not the players. Of course it’s totally ridiculous to pay 80% of the Cap to 5-10 players.

What I think it’s an injustice is all the players making minimum wage. Who in their right mind would subject themselves to the risk physically for $480,000 ? Not getting me out there. No frikin way..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
At the end of the day if the Cowboys continue to draft well they will have no problem fielding a good team. Please give up this crap that if they sign players they won’t field a good team. If anything it should put their backs against the walls to continue to draft well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And why it’s so important to win now before we need to pay everyone cause once you begin picking and choosing it rips the core apart.

If we had closer to an Elite QB or defense we could focus on retaining our strength.

That’s what we need to define . What is our current strength?
Great question and I am not sure we know the answer to that. One equation we know is false is that fat payroll = success. We've seen that fail time and time again.

The itchy part of this is that this QB needs a strong supporting cast around him but at the same time wants to be one of the top paid QB's. This is not like having McMahon, Dilfer or Johnson and a great D to lead the team, this D isn't close to those but this QB is close to those 3 QB's.

To answer your question with a question, do we know we are a strong team? Pisses a lot of the posters off but most of the analysts don't think much of the Cowboys chances this season and I've got them no better than 5th in the NFC. And having the highest offensive payroll in NFL history doesn't change that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Once we come to the realization this isn’t just a football team and game anymore we’d all be a lot better off. It’s Sports Entertainment at the highest level.

If you want a purer form of the game tune in on Friday Nites and Saturday.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You pay them and make sure you gain talent through the draft.

The difference between the (early)Romo era and the Dak era is that the Cowboys have been better at the draft during the latter era.

That's where you get cheap talent for 4 years.
Exactly.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Great question and I am not sure we know the answer to that. One equation we know is false is that fat payroll = success. We've seen that fail time and time again.

The itchy part of this is that this QB needs a strong supporting cast around him but at the same time wants to be one of the top paid QB's. This is not like having McMahon, Dilfer or Johnson and a great D to lead the team, this D isn't close to those but this QB is close to those 3 QB's.

To answer your question with a question, do we know we are a strong team? Pisses a lot of the posters off but most of the analysts don't think much of the Cowboys chances this season and I've got them no better than 5th in the NFC. And having the highest offensive payroll in NFL history doesn't change that.
Analysts opinions aren’t facts. None of them had us winning the NFC east last year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the end of the day if the Cowboys continue to draft well they will have no problem fielding a good team. Please give up this crap that if they sign players they won’t field a good team. If anything it should put their backs against the walls to continue to draft well.
Oh, I think their backs will definitely be against the wall with 1st year contract players. However, that has nothing to do with drafting well. The only wall the GM has had his back up against was the one he was leaning on in the bar.

Praxit

Reaction score
as some are suggesting, it's back to 8-8. That is what this formula gets you. Paying a few stars a ton of money always leads back to mediocrity. Especially if they're mostly on one side of the ball.
..at least for us..lol.. Cowboys have no luck with paying everyone out. Jerry is doing the right thing, switch it up a little.