If we just pay everyone

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We just disagree on that as I think the coaching and talent is better with NO, LAR, CHI and PHL. I've got another 4 teams right there with the Cowboys in that 2nd tier.

I start with the HC and QB of each team and honestly do not have our QB in the top 6 of the NFC.
You consider Eagles, Bears and Saints first tier? Rams I will give you. But I’ve seen nothing from those other teams to suggest Cowboys can’t play with them. Those games won’t come down to coaching and if it does? Saints got massively out coaches last season when we played them.

InTheZone

Reaction score
as some are suggesting, it's back to 8-8. That is what this formula gets you. Paying a few stars a ton of money always leads back to mediocrity. Especially if they're mostly on one side of the ball.
Then our window has passed and it was stupid to give up a 1st for Cooper for 1.5 seasons to toss him aside.

Time to rebuild and give another QB a chance at 3-4 years on a rookie deal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You can pay players up front to try and structure the cap hits so that they work better, within any given cap year but the bottom line is that you can not pay every player top money and that's where the Cowboys are at right now. They have a QB who wants top money, they have a RB who wants top money and they will soon have a WR who is probably gonna be in that same boat. You just can't do that as an organization. I think everybody thinks it's easy and can be done but honestly, point to one team in the league how has ever had their RB, their WR and their QB all making top money at the same time, in the Salary Cap era. It just doesn't happen and it's that way for a reason folks.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
You pay them and make sure you gain talent through the draft.

The difference between the (early)Romo era and the Dak era is that the Cowboys have been better at the draft during the latter era.

That's where you get cheap talent for 4 years.

Agreed.

Luckily, the salaries of what you are paying your staff do not count against the cap. As long as we keep Will McClay around we should be able to replace some of our quality veterans with younger guys while signing other veterans to bigger long-term contracts. We will likely keep Dak, Cooper, Zeke, and Smith for the long term, while both of the Collins and Jones will be allowed to walk. We already have potential replacements in place that have been drafted this year and the year before.

The mistake we made in the 90s and during the early Romo era is that Jerry was acting as the chief scout and we drafted horribly. Even beyond the coaching aspect, if we had been able to keep Jimmy around to run the drafts in the 90s, we would have won another Super Bowl or two as he would have been able to keep drafting the young talent to go around the core that we signed to big contracts.

I think the idea that we should do it like the Patriots is misguided. If we had the best HC of all time and one of the best QBs of all time, I would be all for it, but we have a "meh" head coach and, I am a Dak-supporter, but he is obviously not in Brady's realm at this point. Heck, 2000s Brady was not at 2010's Brady level either - the 2000s Patriots had a lot of other long-term core pro-bowlers that helped Brady win. So the idea that we should just let our core veterans walk because that's how the Patriots do it does not make sense.

InTheZone

Reaction score
You consider Eagles, Bears and Saints first tier? Rams I will give you. But I’ve seen nothing from those other teams to suggest Cowboys can’t play with them. Those games won’t come down to coaching and if it does? Saints got massively out coaches last season when we played them.
We have been destroyed by the rams in 2 consecutive seasons, despite the score being closer than what actually happened on the field. Sure we match up better against some teams, but I dont feel good about our team at all if we play them again. That's an indicator considering other teams played then much better

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Naw I’m not giving Jerry credit. I’m not naive enough to believe it’s McClay alone but he’s not scouting these guys. Jerry is being fed information by the actual people doing the work.
Like every other GM from their scouting department.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We have been destroyed by the rams in 2 consecutive seasons, despite the score being closer than what actually happened on the field. Sure we match up better against some teams, but I dont feel good about our team at all if we play them again. That's an indicator considering other teams played then much better
Well I said I agree about the Rams. I’m not scared of them either as long as Goff is qb but I understand why someone would be. Very solid team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We just disagree on our assessments of the teams and that Saints game wasn't any more indicative of this team than that Colts game to me. The Saints were off in every aspect of that game beginning with coaching and you could see that watching Brees and Payton and the Colts played their best game of the season and played inspired ball for the home crowd.

rocy, actually if there's 1 of this 4 I have above them that I suspect, it is the Rams.

However, this doesn't allow for the reality of disappointing and surprising teams in the NFC which happens every year without fail. Odds are, I am wrong about at least 1 of those teams.
I've been wrong about the Cowboys before too, on both sides.

MaaS

Reaction score
Byron Jones look as good as gone.

La'el Collins is gone.

Maliek looks ready for a breakout but can we afford him?

Jaylon is about due for a new deal and he will get a big contract.

All of these big contracts and we have no championships to show for it so my worry is we get locked into these players for the next 5 years and the team around them gets worse.

IF they weren't able to win a title with better players around them I don't see them doing it when they get paid and the team around them deteriorates.

Yep. I think everyone above is gone except for Jaylon. Fortunately, the FO has (at least attempted) to proactively draft replacements across the board.

Maliek Collins may return on a short deal if he doesn't have a breakout year or if Hill isn't looking promising.

Reaction score
The Cowboys are in a tough spot. The planets have aligned and they have a great mix of young, inexpensive talent,,, there's a window here if Dak takes the next step in his development. This window could be extended if the team continues to draft well, or the window could slam shut with little FA money to fill the holes. Ideally the team would have another year to evaluate but Elliott isn't going to let that happen. I say pay Elliott now and then pay Dak/Cooper in the bye week if things are going well... Cooper is definitely worth the money but only if the QB is able to maximize his talents.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do give him credit and McClay assembles the board, he does not pick. You saw that in the 3rd round from the war room when he stayed with McClay's board and took McGovern instead of trading down, which it looked like his son wanted to do.

Ya know, I suspect every team has a guy like McClay on board and just doesn't make it public to draw attention to him.

For some reason, some posters just can't give Booger credit for changing and learning. He changed those voices he was listening to because he's always had those guys to help advise him. He did not learn to change as much as he changed to learn.

No question that McClay is valuable to him, which is why he probably makes what other GM's make but more importantly, Booger listens to him because he trusts him. I believe it was McClay that started Bryant out the door.
Jerry deserves credit when he makes better decisions. It’s not like we haven’t seen it before when he’s surrounded himself with greater influences.

I’m not really sold he’s changed. He’s just listening more cause his influences have been giving better advice. But when they miss he still abruptly reacts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The biggest misfortune with Jerry wearing both hats is the conflict of interest which continues to haunt Cowboys Football.

The owner also wearing the GM hat is often torn between what’s best for football operations and the image of the franchise.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Years when you had a healthy, longterm QB and a top 5 NFL run game:

Winning record every year, playoffs 4 out of 5 years, all 3 playoff wins in this group. If you paid everyone, it would not be like the 8-8 years.

Were we close to the SB in any of those years? We haven't even made a NFCCG. Winning doesn't mean anything except in January and February.

kskboys

Reaction score
Owners have idiots believing whatever they want.

:muttley:
Very strange take. Are you unaware of the salary cap and the repercussions of overspending on a few players?

Your cheap little insult is very pathetic, BTW.

kskboys

Reaction score
Were we close to the SB in any of those years? We haven't even made a NFCCG. Winning doesn't mean anything except in January and February.
And winning in JAN and FEB generally comes down to D and the O and D lines. That's why we keep losing in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score
You pay them and make sure you gain talent through the draft.

The difference between the (early)Romo era and the Dak era is that the Cowboys have been better at the draft during the latter era.

That's where you get cheap talent for 4 years.
Yeah, that's the line being fed to people by many who are firmly entrenched on the players' side. However, it does not work that way.