If we lose tomorrow is this season a failure?

KB1122

Reaction score
It's disappointing. But it's really rare to make a Super Bowl run first time with a new set of players and/or after a 4-12 season. And we lost to an era-defining quarterback at the top of his game.

It's true that thinking "There will be other years" doesn't always come true. But it does sometimes, too.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Two-sided answer I guess.

Given that we were one and done with home field throughput the playoffs ....big fail there.

Given that we had a great draft (including finding a real QB to replace our franchise QB) and somehow won the division and got first round bye, I'd say big-picture wise is was a success.

Sydla

Reaction score
Failure.

That doesn't mean there weren't some small battles won during the season. We found out we have a QB, for example.

But in the end, when you are the #1 seed, 13-3 and can't win a playoff game in your own building, the season simply cannot be viewed as a success.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Yes. Not many years you don't even have to leave your home state throughout the playoffs and SB.

What good is home field advantage if the refs are going to give you the short end of the stick?

As irritated as I am, I still think the season was a step in the right direction on a lot of levels. Dak and Zeke are the real deal, Dez is back to being Dez and Beasley continues to develop and there have been a few bright spots on the defense.

The biggest downside is this coaching staff is not going to be held accountable for its deficiencies.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sorry, but there is no way to sugar coat a loss like this............number one seed, homefield, weeks of rest, no major injuries, no weather issues, the table was set about as good as a team is ever going to get it.

You guys act like its automatic that this will happen again, need I remind everybody that we get the number one seed on average every 11 years? The last time was 9 years ago and Romo was just 27 years old. I am sure many told him not to worry, there will be plenty of more trips to the playoffs in the coming years.

How did that work out for Romo and keep in mind that he will be wearing a different uniform next year. The bottom line is that when you squander opportunities like this, it might be a long time before it comes around again and when it does, the roster might look very different with familiar faces such as Witten or Dez no longer part of the team.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Sorry, but there is no way to sugar coat a loss like this............number one seed, homefield, weeks of rest, no major injuries, no weather issues, the table was set about as good as a team is ever going to get it.

You guys act like its automatic that this will happen again, need I remind everybody that we get the number one seed on average every 11 years? The last time was 9 years ago and Romo was just 27 years old. I am sure many told him not to worry, there will be plenty of more trips to the playoffs in the coming years.

How did that work out for Romo and keep in mind that he will be wearing a different uniform next year. The bottom line is that when you squander opportunities like this, it might be a long time before it comes around again and when it does, the roster might look very different with familiar faces such as Witten or Dez no longer part of the team.

And our schedule is going to be significantly tougher next year.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Yes, this is the pattern and I fully agree that it is extremely frustrating. The real season begins in the playoffs and the Cowboys have not shown that they can play with the big boys when the chips are down for quite some time...
We need varsity coaching, our HC doesn't even qualify for the travel team. We have more talent than the Packers, especially the depleted Packers, home field, rest.. no excuse.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Huge failure no matter how you slice it ..can we feel good about possibly competing in the future with a young roster sure but this season as it should be written the team failed
#1 seed with HFA throughout the playoffs to lose in first game ??? Unacceptable .. when you are in the playoffs you are not playing for next year you are playing for the now .. no guarantees .. healthy players next year .. not guaranteed ..
Overall this has to be a huge disappointment .. I am tired hearing / reading oh it is something they can build upon.. you can learn from your losses .. etc etc .. what did we learn that most fans don't already know ?? That our d-line needs help ?? Nope , we knew that last year and the year before ,..
That our defensive scheme might be a little vanilla ??
Nope knew that last year
Did we learn that our QB having an incredible passer rating and game combined with a great RB rushing attack and star wr with a very solid game scored 31 points in a playoff game but still lost is a surprise ?? No we've seen that story before, haven't we !! Offensive Stats don't mean squat when you can't stop the other team...ask Tony Romo that
Sure we had a chance .. sure we played like crap yet again at home after a bye (man that repeating story sucks )
So what did losing do for us to consider THIS season a success .. not a freaking thing
We lost ..end of story for this year .. sure others can spin it any way they want .. but with all the surprises .. all the positives ..bottom line the cowboys are sitting home yet again, after another early playoff exit ..that = failure

fifaguy

Reaction score
We need varsity coaching, our HC doesn't even qualify for the travel team. We have more talent than the Packers, especially the depleted Packers, home field, rest.. no excuse.

As one poster said, anything can happen in a big game (that winds up being the deciding factor), but we seem to be on the short end of the stick again and again, regardless of our roster.

Aven8

Reaction score
After making this post the other day and then now have hindsight it's still a failure.

What I am most afraid of now is we our coaching staff doesn't seem to have that "next level" ability. Maybe JG will grow into that as well, but I am not sure.

All I know is yesterday the more talented team lost. We were also the more healthier team. Rogers is arguably the best QB in football, but if you take him out of the equation we played the Cleveland Browns yesterday! That team had no talent outside of the Oline. They are very reminiscent of Jordans Bulls, or Lebron and the Cavs.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I don't see the season as a failure, unless you view every year short of SB as a failure.

Two great offense's went at it for 60 minutes. Our offense sputtered against a suspect defense in the first half and scored only 13 points. GB's offense sputtered in the second half against our suspect defense and scored only 13 points. That resulted in a tie game with 3 seconds left, and despite a total defensive failure on the final play of the game, it took a kicker doing something that had never been done in the history of the NFL playoffs to end our season, despite a matchup of our rookie QB vs an all time great HOF QB who's been MVP of the league and SB.

I'm down today, but I just don't see it as a failure.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
After making this post the other day and then now have hindsight it's still a failure.

What I am most afraid of now is we our coaching staff doesn't seem to have that "next level" ability. Maybe JG will grow into that as well, but I am not sure.

All I know is yesterday the more talented team lost. We were also the more healthier team. Rogers is arguably the best QB in football, but if you take him out of the equation we played the Cleveland Browns yesterday! That team had no talent outside of the Oline. They are very reminiscent of Jordans Bulls, or Lebron and the Cavs.
Wow....I know the point you're making, but come on. No talent at WR and TE? Cook is far superior to Witten at this stage of his career. He's a TE with speed, WR hands, and he gets deep against everyone, including the great secondary in NY. Cobb and Adams are both quality receivers...other than Dez, they are both better than any other receiver on our team. Even when Rodgers was off yesterday, those receivers and both TEs were making crazy catches...they caught diving catches, twisting catches, contested catches with our DBs raking their arms....that first TD caught by their backup TE on Lee was insane...I don't know how he even picked up the ball as it dropped out of nowhere between Lee's shoulder and arm.

Their defense was weak, only Hyde making plays, but that offense was legit at every position, including the FB and Montgomery. Montgomery is not a good RB, but he killed that screen in traffic on the final series.

willia451

Reaction score
Epic Fail. #1 seed. HFA throughout. 3 weeks to rest and prepare. No significant injuries to speak of.

Still one and done in the playoffs.

That is the very definition of failure.

The Patriots beat the Texans and were calling it a failure because they played like crap but somehow still won.

Aven8

Reaction score
Wow....I know the point you're making, but come on. No talent at WR and TE? Cook is far superior to Witten at this stage of his career. He's a TE with speed, WR hands, and he gets deep against everyone, including the great secondary in NY. Cobb and Adams are both quality receivers...other than Dez, they are both better than any other receiver on our team. Even when Rodgers was off yesterday, those receivers and both TEs were making crazy catches...they caught diving catches, twisting catches, contested catches with our DBs raking their arms....that first TD caught by their backup TE on Lee was insane...I don't know how he even picked up the ball as it dropped out of nowhere between Lee's shoulder and arm.

Their defense was weak, only Hyde making plays, but that offense was legit at every position, including the FB and Montgomery. Montgomery is not a good RB, but he killed that screen in traffic on the final series.

Cook is good, you're right. But Rogers makes a lot of those guys as well. I do envy GB's WR's brains the most. They are smart football players. Our WR core, outside of Beas, are stupid. And yes that includes Dez.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Huge failure
You cannot make coaching errors on a consistent basis and expect to win in this league. .

Garrett was a huge failure.

The season was not.

I always thought Romo "might" get us a super bowl win.

I don't feel that way about Dak.
I feel he "will" get us a super bowl win.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Garrett was a huge failure.

The season was not.

The team won 13 games with a 4th round rookie QB, despite a defense that everyone knew had flaws. That's not a "huge failure" by the head coach.

romothesavior

Reaction score
Failure.

That doesn't mean there weren't some small battles won during the season. We found out we have a QB, for example.

But in the end, when you are the #1 seed, 13-3 and can't win a playoff game in your own building, the season simply cannot be viewed as a success.
+1

Considering this season a success is a loser's mentality.