If we lose tomorrow is this season a failure?

SoBlue128

Reaction score
That's a tough question but will say it was a helluva missed opportunity.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Being one and done after a 13 win season that earned the Cowboys the best position possible in the playoffs would be a huge failure and there's no way around it. The regular season is all about making the playoffs and trying to reach the SB. I would never call a season a success that ended in a one and done in the playoffs especially being ousted at home to a team we handily beat during the regular season. Accomplishing what we did during the regular season would make this season even more of a failure. I'm tired of watching the Cowboys win battles only to lose the war. In 2007 the Giants and Packers who we were 3-0 against during the regular season went farther in the playoffs than we did. It was painful and got me pretty pissed listening to Wade Phillips talk about how great a regular season we had after going one and out to the Giants.

He spent at least 10 minutes talking about everything we accomplished during the regular season which told me everything I needed to know about him as a head coach. None of these players may ever be apart of a 13 win team again that earned the #1 seed. It's not easy to get to this point and we have to take advantage of it. It's all there for the taking, home field throughout and a couple of playoffs wins will earn us our first trip to the SB in 21 years. You can't let an opportunity like this get away because it's been 9 years since we were in this same position. We blew it the last time and it's been a thorn in our sides ever since. We have an opportunity to try and make up for it starting today.

Jason 82 Witten

Reaction score
I'm going to say....uh...yes. Although the future looks bright with these young players, you're not guaranteed to be in this position next year. I would rather win it this year then worry about whether you're going to win another one

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
The way this team has played all season, it don't appear that losing is an option....this has been a fun ride

sbark

Reaction score
Depends if you look at this year as a abberation.........or as a long term "process" along the lines a Belichek would look at things...........

Deep_South

Reaction score
Belichick is going to his 6th AFC Championship game in a row, while the Cowboys are trying to get to their 1st NFC one in 21 years. It's not really comparing apples and oranges, more like apples and rutabagas.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
This is a ultimately a question about perspective.

IF we lose, and we discuss it at 10pm tonight. Yes, it's a failure. We have an amazing opportunity, we are favored, if we play our game-we should win. From this perspective the season is absolutely a failure. The lose would hurt, some will even be angry...and sometimes that can be a good thing-read below.

IF we lose, and we discuss this same question during next years playoffs or even in 1-3years, it will NOT have been a failure. We have an amazingly bright future and all signs point to a championship in the coming years if not this year. Good team either WIN or LEARN, no lose. Something beautiful is happening to this franchise I can see and feel it.

Carson

Reaction score
Belichick is going to his 6th AFC Championship game in a row, while the Cowboys are trying to get to their 1st NFC one in 21 years. It's not really comparing apples and oranges, more like apples and rutabagas.

Exactly right. If you're not New England, there is no guarantee you will be back next year.

Gator88

Reaction score
Failure no, but it would be the biggest missed opportunity for Dallas since the Aikman years. For once Dallas is healthy and the rest of the contenders have the injury concerns. Not to mention this is the weakest the NFC outside of Dallas has been since I can remember.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Coming off 4-12 and losing Romo again in preseason I don't know how anyone could say they saw 13 wins coming, so in that regard it's a success. We also appear to have found our next QB, which is another success.

But having the 1 seed and failing to advance is a disappointment and a lost opportunity. :(

fifaguy

Reaction score
Being one and done after a 13 win season that earned the Cowboys the best position possible in the playoffs would be a huge failure and there's no way around it. The regular season is all about making the playoffs and trying to reach the SB. I would never call a season a success that ended in a one and done in the playoffs especially being ousted at home to a team we handily beat during the regular season. Accomplishing what we did during the regular season would make this season even more of a failure. I'm tired of watching the Cowboys win battles only to lose the war. In 2007 the Giants and Packers who we were 3-0 against during the regular season went farther in the playoffs than we did. It was painful and got me pretty pissed listening to Wade Phillips talk about how great a regular season we had after going one and out to the Giants.

He spent at least 10 minutes talking about everything we accomplished during the regular season which told me everything I needed to know about him as a head coach. None of these players may ever be apart of a 13 win team again that earned the #1 seed. It's not easy to get to this point and we have to take advantage of it. It's all there for the taking, home field throughout and a couple of playoffs wins will earn us our first trip to the SB in 21 years. You can't let an opportunity like this get away because it's been 9 years since we were in this same position. We blew it the last time and it's been a thorn in our sides ever since. We have an opportunity to try and make up for it starting today.

Yes, this is the pattern and I fully agree that it is extremely frustrating. The real season begins in the playoffs and the Cowboys have not shown that they can play with the big boys when the chips are down for quite some time...

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coming off 4-12 and losing Romo again in preseason I don't know how anyone could say they saw 13 wins coming, so in that regard it's a success. We also appear to have found our next QB, which is another success.

But having the 1 seed and failing to advance is a disappointment and a lost opportunity. :(
Probably more the first than the second. But a little of both

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes, this is the pattern and I fully agree that it is extremely frustrating. The real season begins in the playoffs and the Cowboys have not shown that they can play with the big boys when the chips are down for quite some time...

What it showed was the defense isn't the equal of the offense (yet).

And in a close game anything can happen that can end your season.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think I used to drive a rutabaga.