CFZ If we want serious playoff success, we can’t continue this

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We cannot continue to be #1 in penalties . As of today, the Cowboys continue to lead the league in penalties averaging nearly 9 penalties a game. We are tied with Ariz with 69 accepted penalties but Ariz has done it in 10 games while the Cowboys have done it in 9. And it’s the pre-snap penalties that are the most egregious. We are second only to the hapless bears in pre-snap penalties. Over 1/3 of the called penalties are pre-snap. That’s not a ref conspiracy.

If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we can’t keep having these penalty problems, Why? In the last ten years, only one Super Bowl winner has finished even in the top 5 in penalties and that was Seattle in 2013. All nine other SB winners finished much lower in penalty numbers.

Here is how each SB winner the last decade finished in penalty rankings:
  • 2013 Sea- finished 1st in penalty numbers
  • 2014 NE- finished 6th in penalties.
  • 2015 Den- finished 14th in penalties.
  • 2016 NE- finished 31st in penalties.
  • 2017- Filly- finished 13th in penalties.
  • 2018- NE- finished 29th
  • 2019- KC- finished 19th
  • 2020- TB finished 27th
  • 2021- LARams- finished 31st
  • 2022- KC finished 28th.
Over the last decade of SB winners, the average penalty ranking for them was 19.9.
If the Cowboys are to be serious contenders in the playoffs, the penalty problems must be reduced.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Penalties are arbitrary though. So, I think the Cowboys get shafted here, because they're so front and center.
Remember that season not to long ago when Cowboys opponents were not flagged for a single offensive holding for like 9 straight games? There is no force on Earth that will get me to believe that was just coincidence. The NFL screws the Cowboys every chance it gets. I know it has to be chafin Goodell's britches somethin fierce that we will be at home for all three games of the Thanksgiving stretch. Guarantee you we will not see that for another 10 years. Especially if we win all three.

Jipper

Reaction score
I don't know in high school, we had guys serving as refs at practice and if you committed a penalty you were running the bleachers. Not sure if it is the answer for NFL players but try something. This has not changed in McCarthys tenure.
curious - any idea what the packers teams were like when he was there? Was there the same penatly issue?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't know in high school, we had guys serving as refs at practice and if you committed a penalty you were running the bleachers. Not sure if it is the answer for NFL players but try something. This has not changed in McCarthys tenure.
In film study, show the play, emphasize the culprit & follow that with a picture of Jerry's billfold closing.

Alternatively, you could spread rumor that Bossman Fat is on retainer to deal with repeat offenders.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Remember that season not to long ago when Cowboys opponents were not flagged for a single offensive holding for like 9 straight games? There is no force on Earth that will get me to believe that was just coincidence.
Except it happened to the Lions for 1 less game that very same season. Research is a mutha. Lol.

Also, that was some Twitter head who manufactured the stat and it was offensive holding on passing plays only. But whatever feeds the confirmation bias.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Except it happened to the Lions for 1 less game that very same season. Research is a mutha. Lol.

Also, that was some Twitter head who manufactured the stat and it was offensive holding on passing plays only. But whatever feeds the confirmation bias.
So since the league screwed the Lions ALMOST as much that makes it right? Gimme a break. And I doubt very seriously the Lions had two of the league's best pass rushers including a two time DPOY runner up on their roster that year. It was 2021 I'm thinking of right? Or has it happened more than once.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Penalties are arbitrary though. So, I think the Cowboys get shafted here, because they're so front and center.
Pre-snap penalties are not arbitrary. We have 26 pre-snap penalties including a league leading 11 penalties for simply lining up off sides. There’s nothing arbitrary about that or the 10 false starts, or delay of game calls.

Yes holding calls on O or D can be arbitrary, but there are 9 teams in the league with more offensive holding calls than us. We lead the league in defensive holding calls with 13, but there are 8 other teams that have 10-12.

And if the argument is “They never call the other team”, the Cowboys are 4th in the league in beneficiary calls, meaning they have had quite a few calls go their way. The recent eagles game is a prime example.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
We cannot continue to be #1 in penalties . As of today, the Cowboys continue to lead the league in penalties averaging nearly 9 penalties a game. We are tied with Ariz with 69 accepted penalties but Ariz has done it in 10 games while the Cowboys have done it in 9. And it’s the pre-snap penalties that are the most egregious. We are second only to the hapless bears in pre-snap penalties. Over 1/3 of the called penalties are pre-snap. That’s not a ref conspiracy.

If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we can’t keep having these penalty problems, Why? In the last ten years, only one Super Bowl winner has finished even in the top 5 in penalties and that was Seattle in 2013. All nine other SB winners finished much lower in penalty numbers.

• 2020- TB finished 27th
Over the last decade of SB winners, the average penalty ranking for them was 19.9.
If the Cowboys are to be serious contenders in the playoffs, the penalty problems must be reduced.
Another great post. Penalties have hurt this team for many years. To me it seems like the penalties in the secondary have improved but the OL penalties have been a killer.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
curious - any idea what the packers teams were like when he was there? Was there the same penatly issue?
I don’t off top of my head. I can look it up later. I do know McCarthy’s packers in 2010, the year they won the SB had a ton of injuries, especially at OL and won it anyway.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
No one really thinks there's a ref conspiracy. (maybe a few, but ignore them) It's simply that the officiating shifts drastically from game to game, stadium to stadium. Our home games aren't heavily penalized compared to away games. Fans just want more consistency.

Toro9

Reaction score

• 2020- TB finished 27th
Turnovers matter more.