CFZ If we want serious playoff success, we can’t continue this

Toro9

Reaction score
No one really thinks there's a ref conspiracy. (maybe a few, but ignore them) It's simply that the officiating shifts drastically from game to game, stadium to stadium. Our home games aren't heavily penalized compared to away games. Fans just want more consistency.
The league really needs to develop an AI officiating system. People are fallable, no matter how good they are at what they do. But if you think they can't get worse I implore you to recall the ref strike when the league brought in NCAA officials. What a disaster that was.

Reactions: G2

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Sadly Jerry seems more concerned with signing autographs and looking at half naked men in the locker room after the game. We beat this dead horse every season, sometimes two or three times in a season. Physicality and discipline is what this team needs and we've been hearing it was to be the focal point for several years now. Jerry has a stipulation in every coaches contract ( it's my way or the highway) and therein lies the problem. I'll be here next year when we cover this same topic again :(

MarcusRock

Reaction score
So since the league screwed the Lions ALMOST as much that makes it right? Gimme a break. And I doubt very seriously the Lions had two of the league's best pass rushers including a two time DPOY runner up on their roster that year. It was 2021 I'm thinking of right? Or has it happened more than once.
Well that's you and everyone else's problem. You go straight to the conspiracy garbage instead of sensibly asking, "How often does something like this actually happen so I can see if it's rare or not to support my case?" See, I actually did, which is how I know it happened to the Lions that very same year. Y'all NEVER support your cases and just crumble to the floor like a toddler in a supermarket crying victim because mommy won't let him have a candy bar for the 10th trip in a row. But if you're going to whine about a "stat," at least know the stat you're trying to claim as PrOoF .... of "something."

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The league really needs to develop an AI officiating system. People are fallable, no matter how good they are at what they do.
Human error will increase, in my opinion, with MORE to judge. It seems like every year more and more rules are installed to judge.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
We cannot continue to be #1 in penalties . As of today, the Cowboys continue to lead the league in penalties averaging nearly 9 penalties a game. We are tied with Ariz with 69 accepted penalties but Ariz has done it in 10 games while the Cowboys have done it in 9. And it’s the pre-snap penalties that are the most egregious. We are second only to the hapless bears in pre-snap penalties. Over 1/3 of the called penalties are pre-snap. That’s not a ref conspiracy.

If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we can’t keep having these penalty problems, Why? In the last ten years, only one Super Bowl winner has finished even in the top 5 in penalties and that was Seattle in 2013. All nine other SB winners finished much lower in penalty numbers.

Here is how each SB winner the last decade finished in penalty rankings:
  • 2013 Sea- finished 1st in penalty numbers
  • 2014 NE- finished 6th in penalties.
  • 2015 Den- finished 14th in penalties.
  • 2016 NE- finished 31st in penalties.
  • 2017- Filly- finished 13th in penalties.
  • 2018- NE- finished 29th
  • 2019- KC- finished 19th
  • 2020- TB finished 27th
  • 2021- LARams- finished 31st
  • 2022- KC finished 28th.
Over the last decade of SB winners, the average penalty ranking for them was 19.9.
If the Cowboys are to be serious contenders in the playoffs, the penalty problems must be reduced.
True
What's the issue?
Are we undisciplined?
It drives you crazy to see us shoot ourselves on the foot constantly !

fivetwos

Reaction score
So since the league screwed the Lions ALMOST as much that makes it right? Gimme a break. And I doubt very seriously the Lions had two of the league's best pass rushers including a two time DPOY runner up on their roster that year. It was 2021 I'm thinking of right? Or has it happened more than once.
It was 2017 during the Zeke appeal of that ridiculous suspension. Jerry was threatening to sue the league and Goodell.

75boyz

Reaction score
We cannot continue to be #1 in penalties . As of today, the Cowboys continue to lead the league in penalties averaging nearly 9 penalties a game. We are tied with Ariz with 69 accepted penalties but Ariz has done it in 10 games while the Cowboys have done it in 9. And it’s the pre-snap penalties that are the most egregious. We are second only to the hapless bears in pre-snap penalties. Over 1/3 of the called penalties are pre-snap. That’s not a ref conspiracy.

If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we can’t keep having these penalty problems, Why? In the last ten years, only one Super Bowl winner has finished even in the top 5 in penalties and that was Seattle in 2013. All nine other SB winners finished much lower in penalty numbers.

• 2020- TB finished 27th
Over the last decade of SB winners, the average penalty ranking for them was 19.9.
If the Cowboys are to be serious contenders in the playoffs, the penalty problems must be reduced.
Regardless of if you wanna trace this penalty issue back to under several different past coaching regimes is irrelevant to me.
This head coach has stated publicly on several occasions that he was gonna get it cleaned up. Referring to it as priority one even.

He hasn't cleaned it up.
There are refs in place in Training Camp and practice.
There is no excuse.
This falls directly on a coach instilling discipline in his team.
McCarthy has failed in that regard.

The false starts are an absolute joke.

jmo

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The league really needs to develop an AI officiating system. People are fallable, no matter how good they are at what they do. But if you think they can't get worse I implore you to recall the ref strike when the league brought in NCAA officials. What a disaster that was.
After an AI system was in place we would probably hear, “The league has programmed the robots to hurt Dallas”, lol.

Bagman

Reaction score
Are false starts considered pre-snap penalties ? If so, the Eagles should lead the league by a lot. I watch Lane Johnson false start at least 15 times every single game. Rarely if ever called.

ESisback

Reaction score

• 2020- TB finished 27th
Just a question. What ARE pre-snap penalties? Formations? Motion? What else? Could they be called subjective? Ticky tack? Vague?

I certainly agree that penalties and championships don’t mix, but could there possibly be something “off” here?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
After an AI system was in place we would probably hear, “The league has programmed the robots to hurt Dallas”, lol.
Oh, they already talked about the possibility in another thread. Lasers would also hate us if they use it with chips in the footballs. Lol.

ESisback

Reaction score
Just a question. What ARE pre-snap penalties? Formations? Motion? What else? Could they be called subjective? Ticky tack? Vague?

I certainly agree that penalties and championships don’t mix, but could there possibly be something “off” here?
I don’t believe there’s a ref conspiracy, but are some teams held to a tighter standard?

Motorola

Reaction score
Pre-snap penalties are not arbitrary. We have 26 pre-snap penalties including a league leading 11 penalties for simply lining up off sides. There’s nothing arbitrary about that or the 10 false starts, or delay of game calls.

Yes holding calls on O or D can be arbitrary, but there are 9 teams in the league with more offensive holding calls than us. We lead the league in defensive holding calls with 13, but there are 8 other teams that have 10-12.

And if the argument is “They never call the other team”, the Cowboys are 4th in the league in beneficiary calls, meaning they have had quite a few calls go their way. The recent eagles game is a prime example.
Not so much with the Cowboys, but this season there have been a significant increase in illegal motion / illegal formation penalties.
This is the result of offenses seeking mismatches at play snap by exposing a defense's scheme or coverage, plus attempting to confuse individuals on defense so that they blow their assignments.

Jipper

Reaction score
Ok looked it up. GB finished 28th in penalties in 2010, averaging about 5 per game.
so wonder why he cant translate that here? Is there really something to the cowboys bias?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

• 2020- TB finished 27th
The #1 issue the coaches need to work on.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
During play penalties are bad enough. But lining up offsides or after the play penalties are ridiculous. Complete lack of discipline.