If you could get two high 1st round picks for a 4th rounder would you make the trade?

If you could get two high 1st round picks for a 4th rounder would you make the trade?

• Total voters

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I believe this is inaccurate. He was, and is under contract but the Cowboys assume the burden of that contract so the money was not "accounted for", as you say. Raiders assumed a little over 3 million of his salary and roster bonus last year, we took on the rest. This next year, his last year on this contract, I believe he is scheduled to make something like 14 Mil, which is on our books if the contract is not renegotiated.
I’m saying prior to the Cowboys trading for him. They went into the season with enough money to account for Cooper.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m saying prior to the Cowboys trading for him. They went into the season with enough money to account for Cooper.

You don't seem like you are listening to what I am saying here. They clearly did not have enough money because they even said this when they traded Mack. Again, this is not about cap. This is about having the available cash needed in a sort of escrow for whatever reason. I don't pretend to understand it all and I'm not even sure that escrow is the right term here. This was reported at the time so I don't know what the deal is with the Raiders and their money issues but that is definitely what was reported. This is not about cap, it's apparently about actual money on hand. They have a problem, I assume it's because of the expense of the stadium being built, I don't know. Do you know anything about this or do you not? If you don't, that's fine, I am not saying I know either, I am just passing on what was reported but if you don't, then this is doing us no good because we are arguing a point that is not related to cap.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You don't seem like you are listening to what I am saying here. They clearly did not have enough money because they even said this when they traded Mack. Again, this is not about cap. This is about having the available cash needed in a sort of escrow for whatever reason. I don't pretend to understand it all and I'm not even sure that escrow is the right term here. This was reported at the time so I don't know what the deal is with the Raiders and their money issues but that is definitely what was reported. This is not about cap, it's apparently about actual money on hand. They have a problem, I assume it's because of the expense of the stadium being built, I don't know. Do you know anything about this or do you not? If you don't, that's fine, I am not saying I know either, I am just passing on what was reported but if you don't, then this is doing us no good because we are arguing a point that is not related to cap.
You are right about guaranteed money in a contract...... the NFL requires that a team puts any guaranteed money into an escrow account until it is paid and it can't be touched.... Mack got 60m in guarantees

Once Mack got traded then ACooper was expendable for the rebuild... he is due 14m this year and would require an extension with more guarantees....on top of that they got a premium Draft pick

With them not moving to Vegas until next year they are strapped for cash and playing it very conservative..... Jared Cook is next to leave even though they have over 70m in cap space

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
There would be only one good reason to do this if there was a trade partner, 2020. That's the QB draft class with Herbert, Lawrence and Tua and they would need a fall back like picking up a FA QB for 2019 and 20 , if they wanted that rook to learn. Foles would probably be the target.

There are QB's in that class with a lot more "can't miss" to them than this class although Haskins could be a plum but someone is going up to #1 to get him. Stockpile picks for 2020 and the Cowboys are in a great place to pick any one of those 3 QB's. I can only imagine where Lawrence is going to be with another year under his belt and I'd sure rather see him in a Cowboys uni than a Giants or Skins.

First Foles is under contract or probably is through 2019. There is an option for 2019 the both the eagles and Foles can invoke. The eagles can exercise an option for 2019 at the cost of a fully guaranteed 20 mil. Then Foles can exercise his option by voiding that option but he has to pay 2 mil up front to do that. So your big idea of Foles as this stopgap QB is out the window. Second, unlike you, the Cowboys know that there aren't going to be any 2 1st round offers for Prescott and because they really like him they will continue with THEIR plan to extend his contract as their franchise QB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The 1sts will most likely be two top 10 picks as desperate bottom feeders would be the ones to entertain this trade.

Supporting cast keeps getting better and you can continue running the same systems already implemented.

If not, why wouldn't you take the picks?
nice way of trying to twist this into a Dak trade.

yes, I would trade Dak (4th rounder) for two top 10 picks. I would then trade those for more future picks and accumulate more and probably suck for the next couple of years. in the process garrett gets fired and we have a new coach....then I would keep trading and sucking over the next couple of years and then trade my way all the way to the top and draft Trevor Lawrence in a couple of years. now you have your franchise QB for the next 12-15 years.

there...how's that for hypothetical!!!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

First off whatever expenses any team may have like a new stadium, that has zero to do with paying players. The cap money comes from the league form the TV deals and NFL properties. This cap money can only be used for player salaries and if used for anything else both the league and the NFLPA would be all over any team that did that. So your idea that the raider's new stadium costs had any bearing on Cooper is wrong. They just didn't want to pay or extend his contract for the amount he wanted. Second, Cooper's contract runs through 2019 so when the Cowboys traded for him they already knew what he would cost for a partial 2018 and all of 2019. If they didn't have the cap room to account for their share of 2018 they would have had to release a player and be under cap by 3:00 pm or the league would have voided the trade. I'm not sure what you were listening to or how you came up with what you're saying but you're way off base.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
What? How do you know they don’t agree with me? Because you ASSUME?? You’re just one of the delusional fans that thinks Dak can’t be replaced by a better more talented QB

No I say it because Jones has said it. Jones has said Prescott will be his QB for seasons meaning plural to come. Maybe if you take your blinders off and pay a little more attention to what going on with the Cowboys you would have either heard or read this already.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
First off whatever expenses any team may have like a new stadium, that has zero to do with paying players. The cap money comes from the league form the TV deals and NFL properties. This cap money can only be used for player salaries and if used for anything else both the league and the NFLPA would be all over any team that did that. So your idea that the raider's new stadium costs had any bearing on Cooper is wrong. They just didn't want to pay or extend his contract for the amount he wanted. Second, Cooper's contract runs through 2019 so when the Cowboys traded for him they already knew what he would cost for a partial 2018 and all of 2019. If they didn't have the cap room to account for their share of 2018 they would have had to release a player and be under cap by 3:00 pm or the league would have voided the trade. I'm not sure what you were listening to or how you came up with what you're saying but you're way off base.

OK, yet another discussion that thinks this is a cap discussion. It's not, it's a capitol issue. This absolutely had to do with capitol but I'm tired of trying to explain this when nobody cares. This is not a cap issue. It's something else.

However, the Raiders have cleared a substantial amount of cap for next year and they also received draft picks so I would say that it does have cap implications. Just not the reason the Raiders decided to give up on two of there best players, if not there two best players.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
The 1sts will most likely be two top 10 picks as desperate bottom feeders would be the ones to entertain this trade.

Supporting cast keeps getting better and you can continue running the same systems already implemented.

If not, why wouldn't you take the picks?
No, There is no guarantee that that 1st round pick is going to be better than what we have.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The cap money comes from the league form the TV deals and NFL properties. This cap money can only be used for player salaries and if used for anything else both the league and the NFLPA would be all over any team that did that.
That is absolute gibberish

All the revenue teams take in can be used for any team expenses.... there is no cap money set asides

It all goes in one pot and gets mixed together

Teams are required to spend a certain amount of cash every 4 years but that is easily accomplished without going near the cap limits

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
That is absolute gibberish

All the revenue teams take in can be used for any team expenses.... there is no cap money set asides

It all goes in one pot and gets mixed together

Teams are required to spend a certain amount of cash every 4 years but that is easily accomplished without going near the cap limits

I suggest you do A LOT of research. Just like many companies have several accounts that are used for different things so do NFL teams. The money each NFL teams get from the league as their share also know as the cap is put into it's own account and can ONLY be used to pay player's salaries. If a team uses cap money for ANYTHING other than player's salaries the NFL would be all over that and the NFLPA would be taking that team to court. We all know the NFLPA isn't afraid of any team or the NFL and has taken both to court in the past. These accounts are in book keeping that are reviewed by the league every year. The team don't lump every dollar that comes in into a single account. All payments may come out of the same checking account but that's not the same as having just a single account in the books. The cap money is untouchable for anything but palyer's salaries. The money used for general costs comes from the live gates, both home and away games. That's the teams money to use for whatever they want to or need to spend.

blumayne38

Reaction score
No I say it because Jones has said it. Jones has said Prescott will be his QB for seasons meaning plural to come. Maybe if you take your blinders off and pay a little more attention to what going on with the Cowboys you would have either heard or read this already.
Lmao ok

InTheZone

Reaction score
No, There is no guarantee that that 1st round pick is going to be better than what we have.
true, but I was thinking more along the lines of drafting other positions. Add a safety, interior DL, another WR, a right tackle, etc.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I suggest you do A LOT of research. Just like many companies have several accounts that are used for different things so do NFL teams. The money each NFL teams get from the league as their share also know as the cap is put into it's own account and can ONLY be used to pay player's salaries. If a team uses cap money for ANYTHING other than player's salaries the NFL would be all over that and the NFLPA would be taking that team to court. We all know the NFLPA isn't afraid of any team or the NFL and has taken both to court in the past. These accounts are in book keeping that are reviewed by the league every year. The team don't lump every dollar that comes in into a single account. All payments may come out of the same checking account but that's not the same as having just a single account in the books. The cap money is untouchable for anything but palyer's salaries. The money used for general costs comes from the live gates, both home and away games. That's the teams money to use for whatever they want to or need to spend.
Show your work

Each team got over 250m from TV alone last year and the cap was only 177m.... clearly the money can be used for other things since many teams didn't come close to spending up to the cap

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First Foles is under contract or probably is through 2019. There is an option for 2019 the both the eagles and Foles can invoke. The eagles can exercise an option for 2019 at the cost of a fully guaranteed 20 mil. Then Foles can exercise his option by voiding that option but he has to pay 2 mil up front to do that. So your big idea of Foles as this stopgap QB is out the window. Second, unlike you, the Cowboys know that there aren't going to be any 2 1st round offers for Prescott and because they really like him they will continue with THEIR plan to extend his contract as their franchise QB.

I would definitely take Foles and 2 top 5 picks for Dak.

Not sure if that's what you guys are talking about.

But...……….one could say that BECAUSE of the fact that we got lucky on Dak with only a 4th round pick, we saved two first round picks on trying to find a franchise QB. Not sure you could say two top 5 picks however.

InTheZone

Reaction score
then who is your QB?
Rush, White, a 2nd-7th round QB

We have two guys that know the system, if it's a rookie then he must be able to understand pocket footwork and have the ability to move out the pocket to extend plays (even if they're slow like Brady). We're not asking for much from the QB besides throwing to the outside and keeping it safe to checkdowns if nothing is there. This is why I look at what the team is doing and building around the QB and I say keep at it. As soon as you break the bank for the QB it's over.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I'm speaking about COOPER. They had enough money for COOPER. Cooper was not a "cash casualty" by any stretch of the imagination. You say you don't know so I'm trying to tell you. Cooper was on their salary cap soon as the season started. So you can't say they got rid of him because they couldn't afford his contract. In regards to Mack? I can't say. How you can't afford your best player is beyond me.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Show your work

Each team got over 250m from TV alone last year and the cap was only 177m.... clearly the money can be used for other things since many teams didn't come close to spending up to the cap

First you are still confusing money for the cap and any and all other money a team gets. This is just so simple yet you just don't get it. THE MONEY FOR THE CAP CAN ONLY BE USED FOR PAYING PLAYER'S SALARIES, PERIOD!!!!! Second, each team has to use at least 90% of it's cap each year and can only carry over 10% from one season to the next. If they don't the difference between the 10% carry over and what they actually didn't spend is subtracted from the next years cap and the leftover is then divided between the teams that did it right. That is why we see teams later in season extend a player's contract to use up anything over the 10% carry over and don't lose that amount. Again I suggest you do a lot of research because it's obvious that you know little to nothing about the cap. BTW I'll help you a little further. Per the collective bargaining agreement the players get 48.5% of the TV revenue , the owners get the balance after the actual league costs are subtracted. That is why there's a difference between what the cap is and what the team (owners) get. Do your own research!

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I would definitely take Foles and 2 top 5 picks for Dak.

Not sure if that's what you guys are talking about.

But...……….one could say that BECAUSE of the fact that we got lucky on Dak with only a 4th round pick, we saved two first round picks on trying to find a franchise QB. Not sure you could say two top 5 picks however.

First this is just some fans little game and has less than zero chance of ever becoming a reality. Second if you read my last commnt you would have found out that the chances of Foles being available are less than zero also.