CFZ If You Don't Think Deuce Vaughn Can Play WR, Look at His Highlights

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Part of the reason Vaughn can possibly be effective, and sure, this is preseason hype or whatever, is because we have Pollard, Cooks, Lamb..

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him. My hunch is that Deuce is actually pretty strong in the passing game, but it was more or less kept under wraps on college, so that he may have a way to pave a brighter path for his NFL career.

There's also the fact that he can only play one position at a time, and was their lead back at Kansas, so he didn't get as much time, playing from the receiver position. But I have no doubt in my mind he can cause havoc in the short and intermediate passing games, because guys who are short, and can get, are hard to cover, even for taller, faster guys with the most fluid hips.. The fact he's practiced so many juke moves, like you can see several players in his background, so Deuce has studied Sanders, Emmitt, McCaffrey. The biggest issue for him will be whether or not he can stay healthy.

He's a pain to cover in the open field, especially in one-on-one situations.

Thanks for the speculation, chap.
But no thank you re Deuce as WR.:mad:
I canna imaging Deek making accurate, lower throws to Deuce when linemen and DEs are in your face.
Use the lad in where he excels.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That's why a lot of fans on here are excited. They are hardcore and know what kind of player this is. I think his ceiling is higher than some think, but that's just me. I think we also made out having the inside line to the player. But, again, that's just me.

I may not have pulled the trigger on Deuce. I knew he was a good player, then again, I blew him off because of his size. But I do think he makes sense, and no doubt in my mind he can be effective in the NFL. We have a nice group of backs now, and one who can also play WR, and take handoffs from the H-back position, etc. It's going to be a hoot. I have to say Deuce is a better pick in hindsight, because you can do so much with him.
The_Anointing_1000x.jpg

Your acceptance is wise and valued, old bean.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him.
I *expected* to see a lot of Cole Beasley in Deuce, but after 10 minutes I didn't see *any*. They were used *entirely* differently.

Deuce barely runs a route or makes a cut. He just curves upfield, and usually is catching the ball over his shoulder thumbs out as he's heading upfield. All wheel and seam routes.

Beasley, on the other hand, was almost always winning through hard horizontal cuts and catching the ball with his shoulders turned to the QB with thumbs in.

With Deuce's quickness and size, I expected him to be used much like Beasley, but he wasn't at all.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If he's already in as a rb that moves to the slot, I'm not sure how a team can put a cb on him. They won't have the right personnel on he field.
This is the personnel bind RB/WRs put on a defense. But Pollard is a better player to create this bind.

You need more of a LB to take Pollard down, but he's too fast for most any LB in coverage, whereas I'd rather matchup a slot corner on Deuce, run or pass. I don't see a LB either covering or tackling Deuce one on one. Deuce has just way too much lateral quickness for them.

So I just don't see Deuce creating any kind of personnel bind on a defense. You match up Deuce with a slot corner. Period.

The offense's counter is to block the slot corner instead of a LB, and make the LB make the tackle on a run play, with Deuce likely being too quick for him.

Deuce makes for some interesting football.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's why a lot of fans on here are excited. They are hardcore and know what kind of player this is. I think his ceiling is higher than some think, but that's just me. I think we also made out having the inside line to the player. But, again, that's just me.

I may not have pulled the trigger on Deuce. I knew he was a good player, then again, I blew him off because of his size. But I do think he makes sense, and no doubt in my mind he can be effective in the NFL. We have a nice group of backs now, and one who can also play WR, and take handoffs from the H-back position, etc. It's going to be a hoot. I have to say Deuce is a better pick in hindsight, because you can do so much with him.
It all comes down to how creative McCarthy is with Vaughn. There are so many possibilities.

ghst187

Reaction score
Not sure any other college player had better tape than Deuce…he just happens to be a midget. He reminds me of Reggie Bush the way he runs and cuts. I don’t see a lot of reasons he won’t have success in the NFL, he will be hard to find and doesn’t seem to lose any speed while he makes cuts. He frustrates our third round pick a few times around the 6:30 mark.
Going to be interesting to see.

cristglo

Reaction score
From the looks of it, he seems to break more tackles than our new TE.

Desperado

Reaction score
He takes 1.5 steps to every 1 step by a defender. It lets him get ahead on his breaks, getting himself open. Same with Beasley, although I think Vaughn is a much stronger player.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I *expected* to see a lot of Cole Beasley in Deuce, but after 10 minutes I didn't see *any*. They were used *entirely* differently.

Deuce barely runs a route or makes a cut. He just curves upfield, and usually is catching the ball over his shoulder thumbs out as he's heading upfield. All wheel and seam routes.

Beasley, on the other hand, was almost always winning through hard horizontal cuts and catching the ball with his shoulders turned to the QB with thumbs in.

With Deuce's quickness and size, I expected him to be used much like Beasley, but he wasn't at all.
Look harder.. You'll know it when you see it.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Nope..

Im believe his game is being great between the tackles and that translates to the NFL.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but it’s what he’s elite at.
All of that studying Emmitt Smith paid off for him.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The Vaughn threads keep coming at a rapid rate! It's hard to keep pace with the expectations and projections. To sum up what has been thrown out there so far, Vaughn is now a slow, blocking turnstile, super small (wait. that's bryce young. scratch that) soon-to-be-torn-apart slot receiver?
Someone gotta start a new thread to post his highlights just in case anybody has missed any of the previous 473 threads posting his highlights. :muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him. My hunch is that Deuce is actually pretty strong in the passing game, but it was more or less kept under wraps on college, so that he may have a way to pave a brighter path for his NFL career.

There's also the fact that he can only play one position at a time, and was their lead back at Kansas, so he didn't get as much time, playing from the receiver position. But I have no doubt in my mind he can cause havoc in the short and intermediate passing games, because guys who are short, and can get, are hard to cover, even for taller, faster guys with the most fluid hips.. The fact he's practiced so many juke moves, like you can see several players in his background, so Deuce has studied Sanders, Emmitt, McCaffrey. The biggest issue for him will be whether or not he can stay healthy.

His problem in the passing game is his height. Hard to find the little guy.

Hardline

Reaction score
Vaughn may end up being a solid weapon for us but right now he is the most over hyped player on the team.It happens every year. Fans over hype a player just to have them cut or put on the practice squad.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He can definitely play some slot wideout.

Vaughn is easily the most interesting guy to watch early on maybe in the entire league.

He’s a great RB he’s just small. Like that’s literally the entire knock against him.

You would think he’d be a guy you want to get out on the edge but he’s actually more suited to run between the tackles and do what Zeke did.
More suited to run between the tackles how? Being 5’6” 176? :thumbup:

links18

Reaction score

Weren't you hyping up Turpin last year? Where do you see him this year? Does he still have a role on this team after the addition of Vaughn?