CFZ If You Don't Think Deuce Vaughn Can Play WR, Look at His Highlights

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Whatever.
I have ordered a 5-month supply of popcorn and grape juice and will sit back to enjoy seeing this mighty mite named Deuce.
Such an intriguing prospect!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Weren't you hyping up Turpin last year? Where do you see him this year? Does he still have a role on this team after the addition of Vaughn?
I remember the hype of "It is Turpintime!"
Fellow did quite the disappearing trick.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He did it in college very successfully .
I’m sure he can do well in the NFL also. They need to use him like they did with Pollard when he was drafted. Protect him a bit so he can be there all year, not just a handful.

ghst187

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone else caught onto that. Duece makes him look bad. Defenders don't know which way he is cutting and they are frozen. By the time they figure it out, he's gone.
And he doesn’t lose any speed while making his cuts…that’s what makes him so elusive..it’s not his pure speed but the fact he doesn’t lose any

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him. My hunch is that Deuce is actually pretty strong in the passing game, but it was more or less kept under wraps on college, so that he may have a way to pave a brighter path for his NFL career.

There's also the fact that he can only play one position at a time, and was their lead back at Kansas, so he didn't get as much time, playing from the receiver position. But I have no doubt in my mind he can cause havoc in the short and intermediate passing games, because guys who are short, and can get, are hard to cover, even for taller, faster guys with the most fluid hips.. The fact he's practiced so many juke moves, like you can see several players in his background, so Deuce has studied Sanders, Emmitt, McCaffrey. The biggest issue for him will be whether or not he can stay healthy.

He's a pain to cover in the open field, especially in one-on-one situations.

I didn’t come close to watching the entire highlight reel, only a couple of minutes but on the very first play he was coming out of the backfield as a receiver. That’s a lot different than playing WR, especially in the NFL. They’ll have pass plays for him out of the backfield, and they may give him a try in the slot. But I don’t see them sending him down the field as a WR at his height. At 5‘5“ he’s not going to be winning any battles for the ball. You need a player with a least decent height who has some extension who can go up after the ball.

catiii

Reaction score
Several of us draft nerds were talking about how good of a receiver Gibbs might be, as a RB. But if you look at Vaughn, he actually has a whole lot of Cole Beasley in him. My hunch is that Deuce is actually pretty strong in the passing game, but it was more or less kept under wraps on college, so that he may have a way to pave a brighter path for his NFL career.

There's also the fact that he can only play one position at a time, and was their lead back at Kansas, so he didn't get as much time, playing from the receiver position. But I have no doubt in my mind he can cause havoc in the short and intermediate passing games, because guys who are short, and can get, are hard to cover, even for taller, faster guys with the most fluid hips.. The fact he's practiced so many juke moves, like you can see several players in his background, so Deuce has studied Sanders, Emmitt, McCaffrey. The biggest issue for him will be whether or not he can stay healthy.

He's a pain to cover in the open field, especially in one-on-one situations.

Now THAT was fun to watch.

Jarntt

Reaction score
He isn't playing WR at the NFL level. He should be able to be a nice receiving back though and perhaps a couple of plays a game as a slot guy like a lot of teams run when they split a back out or move him to the slot. But it's very different to try and get a mismatch with a LB on you vs being a true WR with a CB covering you. I think he'll be great at sitting out in space for dump offs or maybe quick slants once in a while. But he's going to struggle getting open down field at his height. Plus catching the ball as a RB and WR are different as the patterns and angles are different. Let's just be happy if he can be an effective RB and let's not already move him to WR. I think he is going to be a fun guy to have and may get some explosive plays for us.

Last edited:

sacase

Reaction score
Yall are killing me with these threads. Yall got a 6th round pick being one of the best to touch the field at RB and now at slot WR. Literally the smallest player in the NFL. Yall hyping him up so much it's gonna be a hard fall. :popcorn:

jrumann59

Reaction score
Highlights are highlights, he was not getting touched until 7 yards down the field for some runs, that hardly happens in the NFL, a clean run still has arm tackles and such he has to break. The talent level in the NFL is much higher than any team he played against.

quickccc

Reaction score
Darren Sproles Career Highlights

Much of what we saw in Darren Sproles plays and scheme set during his career.. w should likely expect from the Cowboys coaches with Deuce, imo.
Only Sproles was a prolific punt returner on special teams that Deuce

Quick flair and swing passes in open flat,and various RB screens ..... isolation routes over the middle,... wheel routes, curl and hooks - and that's just the pass game.
i can see Deuce getting both downhill handoffs from QB under center,..as well as quick sprint draw plays out of shotgun..
He has the stop/re-start quick feet and agility and elusiveness for those plays - plus he is difficult to locate behind a tall wall of trench linemen.

It comes down to the creativity and imagination of the coaches here first. .

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm going to make folks scratch their heads, but with CeeDee, Pollard, and Duce we're going to miss KM.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
I think slot is definitely something he can do. It's also a way to keep him on the field on 3rd downs. His lack of size will likely keep him out of the backfield because of blocking.
He is reported to be sneaky quick instead of fast. A slot receiver needs that attribute. His stature might be a problem at this level but you can scheme him open and thus no more problem losing him in the clutter of bigger bodies. Try him and find out and one more thing is his heart, it is something that a stop watch can't measure. Kid seems to want it.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Good luck putting him in as a slot receiver and having Dak throw to a 5'5 receiver down field. Deuce better run routes like Jerry Rice and Dak better have the accuracy of Tom Brady.
I'm excited by what he can bring to the offense, but small size doesn't often translate to the NFL field. Besides, did you see those holes he was running through in college? Did any of Kansas' offensive linemen get drafted in the first four rounds this year or last?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Nope..

Im believe his game is being great between the tackles and that translates to the NFL.

If I’m wrong I’m wrong but it’s what he’s elite at.
100% and i think thats how the FO see's him, if he is a 3-5 touch a game guy i dont think they view that pick as a success on merits they believed when they drafted him.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He is reported to be sneaky quick instead of fast. A slot receiver needs that attribute. His stature might be a problem at this level but you can scheme him open and thus no more problem losing him in the clutter of bigger bodies. Try him and find out and one more thing is his heart, it is something that a stop watch can't measure. Kid seems to want it.
He ran as fast as 21.9 mph on the football field which ranked him in the top ten. Higher than Bijan. Higher than Pollard & Zeke's fastest runs.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'm sorry, are any of these highlights him actually playing WR?

He can line up in the slot and go catch a smoke, but it's not like you're going to give him an option route and target him on 3rd and 6.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Darren Sproles Career Highlights

Much of what we saw in Darren Sproles plays and scheme set during his career.. w should likely expect from the Cowboys coaches with Deuce, imo.
Only Sproles was a prolific punt returner on special teams that Deuce

Quick flair and swing passes in open flat,and various RB screens ..... isolation routes over the middle,... wheel routes, curl and hooks - and that's just the pass game.
i can see Deuce getting both downhill handoffs from QB under center,..as well as quick sprint draw plays out of shotgun..
He has the stop/re-start quick feet and agility and elusiveness for those plays - plus he is difficult to locate behind a tall wall of trench linemen.

It comes down to the creativity and imagination of the coaches here first. .

I get why this comparison is made, but I feel like its very overstated. Sproles is pretty much a 1 of 1 in the history of the league.

Expectations should be more around Lance Dunbar than Darren Sproles.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Vaughn threads keep coming at a rapid rate! It's hard to keep pace with the expectations and projections. To sum up what has been thrown out there so far, Vaughn is now a slow, blocking turnstile, super small (wait. that's bryce young. scratch that) soon-to-be-torn-apart slot receiver?
you left out the next devin Hester that taking Turpin's place on STS