If you had to make tough call and only keep 3 of 4, who walk, Coop, Dak, Zeke, DLaw?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Tough one, Hawkeye.

Dak’s our QB going forward and it would definitely impede his progress to lose either Coop or Zeke. But then D-Law’s the anchor of our D-line, so dumping him wouldn’t be a good move.

Wouldn’t wanna be in the FO for this scenario, but would have to bite the bullet on Lawrence.

I know Geno......notice I could not answer:banghead:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's running back, he's right. It's no longer a glamor position, but a meat grinder. A chew you up and spit you out role, and teams know it. Any time a team signs a running back to a second contract, they quickly end up regretting it. And those guys always end up getting cut, even the great ones outstay their welcome and outlive their effectiveness and return on investment.

Going by the terms set, you have to let Elliott go. And based on his workload and wear and tear, that looks exactly like what they plan to do.

blueblood70

Reaction score
BTW If I make an Assumption on what the FO of the CBs will do, you dont invest a 4th overall pick on player and they play at a Probowl level and account for 70%of your offense and is a popular layer with the fans and just let them walk after 4yeras or let them hold out and cause issues..

So my gut tells me they will try the hardest to Keep Zeke out of those 4..Dlaw is oblviulsly already on the clocka nd most likely stays

so that leaves Dak or Amari , hmmm :)

Gut says they keep all 4 and make business decsions on others..they have been drafting well and cutting Lee or restructuring his deal to as low as possible cap hit for his age and health plus cut Twill or restructure and let Bease go and use younger guys to fill in allows them to keep the CORE mentioned in this thread.. Even BJones might be let walk and replace him with Lewis, this all will help these bigger decsions..

you need a core to build with..fill in with young draft picks and cheaper FAs..

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One factor often overlooked -- most great running backs contribute immediately, often at a Pro Bowl level. players at other positions often require reasonably significant development time. While it's true players at other positions often play better longer, RBs often play better sooner. So that's part of the equation. A player like Elliott is probably worth a second contract, as long as the team protects itself in the out years.

Good point....that's why I'm in favor of extending him like NOW

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Interesting article.......

2020 Vision: Forecasting a contract extension for Ezekiel Elliott
By: K.D. Drummond | August 16, 2018 8:31 am ET

://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/16/dallas-cowboys-ezekiel-elliott-potential-contract-extension-parameters/

There are a lot of moving pieces between now and the 2020 season, but rest assured the calculator wizards employed by the Dallas Cowboys have that year firmly entrenched in their mentals. That is the first season when both Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott are no longer on the books after completing their four-year rookie contracts

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
To win right now, DLAw
For the future, Zeke

I know everyone says Zeke but has everyone forgotten when zeke was out those games? Zeke is a special back not just a dime a dozen back not so easily replaced. Remember those days after emmitt. I coundnt choose any of them right now because I feel they all add something to this team. Do I want to overpay any of them No but this is football and somebody if not all is going to get paid.

Good point there but remember the games that we did win without him. We had Alfred Morris and he was somewhat serviceable. It isn't fair to say Zeke would have made a difference in those games because the line had a weakness at LT the same time Zeke began his suspension.
In the first 3 games of the suspension, they didn't really commit to the run as much as they should have. My theory is that they didn't commit to the run because of Tyron's injury. Once he came back, the Cowboys committed to the run, and the run game was pretty good up until Zeke came back ironically.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’d get rid of D Law.

He’s the 2nd most valuable of the 4 but he is prone to injury.

He played all season but he did it with a messed up shoulder.

I’m a little worried about him once he gets his big contract.

When healthy he’s as good as anyone in the league at DE but he always fizzles out because of injury.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Zeke.
I love the guy...but good RBs are easier to find in the draft.
tough call...hopefully we can keep all 4.

Hardline

Reaction score
But even though Dak isn't elite, replacing him would be difficult, considering our place in the draft.
Let the season play out with Mike White.
Take Tua or the QB from Clemson next draft even if it means giving up half your draft picks.
And who knows. What if Mike White tears it up and earns a starting gig.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let the season play out with Mike White.
Take Tua or the QB from Clemson next draft even if it means giving up half your draft picks.
Wow, that seems extreme. I wanna see how Dak does with the coaching changes before giving up on him.