If You Were Dak

ItzKelz

Reaction score
If you or I were Dak:

I’d consider taking a team friendly deal say three years at $25-Mill per fully guaranteed with stipulations that I had input on new coaches, scheme, and maybe adding a few quality free agents..

Or I’d test the market, refuse the tag, and demand Top Market Rate Dollars...

Truth is playing QB for Dallas is a dream job and I’d take even less than that.. I just thought maybe we can all give our own hypothetical scenarios if we were Dak. New fresh thread idea...

What would you ask for or do?
If I was Dak I would request a trade if Jerry continues to talk to the media

khiladi

Reaction score
I didn’t follow his college days so I’ll have to take your word for it. But to be fair he’s been under you’re boy Garrett, what chance has he had to crack the next level?:muttley:

The only reason he is starting here, IMO, and so much investment has be put in him, is because of the dysfunction of the organization, including Garrett. His fans think he’s working against the dysfunction, but I view him starting as a product of it. Their investment in him is like the Garrett in training investment.

I honestly believe now one of the reasons they didn’t start Romo again, from a FO perspective, is because the success of 2016 made them think they could get expensive contract off the books.

khiladi

Reaction score
Just keep in mind, Romo's best passing season is only 1 yd better than Dak's.

That was Romo’s worst passing season and the OL was a disaster. That’s actually the season Jerry starter revoking play calling duties away from Garrett and handing them over the Romo. Dak wouldn’t have lasted a game in those conditions.

He didn’t have the top ranked OL in football that allowed the least amount of sacks. Romo’s best passing season was 2014, when he controlled the offense and threw over 77% in December and had 34 TDs and 9 INT in the season, carried us back against Detroit in the playoffs with our bum defense that didn’t have Seam Lee the whole year and was almost near perfect in sub zero temperatures in Lambeau, when he got robbed on the Dez catch and where GB was undefeated.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If I were Dak I would have caught the first plane to Cabo after Zeke signed his deal. He let that leverage go.

I would have also sat out weeks 16 & 17 with the hurt shoulder. No need to risk injury and put up bad tape, but he did and will have to live with the results.

Leads us to today...I sit out until a long term contract is signed. I would refuse to sign a franchise tag and sit out a year, if necessary, hopefully being able to hit the open market and get out of Dallas.

But there would be no team friendly deal. I would demand as much as I could get.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
The only reason he is starting here, IMO, and so much investment has be put in him, is because of the dysfunction of the organization, including Garrett. His fans think he’s working against the dysfunction, but I view him starting as a product of it. Their investment in him is like the Garrett in training investment.

I honestly believe now one of the reasons they didn’t start Romo again, from a FO perspective, is because the success of 2016 made them think they could get expensive contract off the books.

At the end of the day I believe with better coaching he’s capable of cracking Top 10 to Top 15 overall. There are only a handful of teams that have Top 3-5 QBs. You just have to build up the team around him a play some serious chess out there to get to the next level..

Draft a QB in the first two rounds or bring in a solid vet...

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

Can we get a QB that can give us our passing game back again.......tired of the 3 and outs, tired of the FG after FG after FG.
Tired of depending on Zeke to beat 8 man boxes.
Tired of having our WR having to reach back for the ball or have to jump like Superman to catch the high one.
And for you, Dak-Employees seek work elsewhere as not even Houdini can make Dak a franchise QB!
We are the Dallas Cowboys and deserve better than this walking disaster for a QB who has made us the Joke of the NFL weekly as we are unable to score against good to playoff defenses!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you or I were Dak:

I’d consider taking a team friendly deal say three years at $25-Mill per fully guaranteed with stipulations that I had input on new coaches, scheme, and maybe adding a few quality free agents..

Or I’d test the market, refuse the tag, and demand Top Market Rate Dollars...

Truth is playing QB for Dallas is a dream job and I’d take even less than that.. I just thought maybe we can all give our own hypothetical scenarios if we were Dak. New fresh thread idea...

What would you ask for or do?

With regards to myself being in Dak's situation...

I would go for the max contract then (later) offer to take a pay cut in exchange for "more input" or to directly get a player or players that I wanted in free agency.

I would offer to take a pay cut from 40M per to 25M per to acquire Trent Williams as Tryon's backup...NO MORE Chaz Green or Cam Fleming types at LT...

I would then insist that Tyron get the back surgery that the Doctors recommended 2 or 3 years ago. If not, then Trent Williams becomes the starter at LT.

Another Option:
I would offer Jimmy 150M of my 5 year, 200M contract to publically say that Jerry was the master mind of the Super Bowl years and to then convince Jerry to hire him as Head Coach and Top Secret acting GM.

It would be an all or nothing deal..
Jimmy gets 150M for a Super Bowl win or zero otherwise (He would get paid by Jerry but might have to work cheap to convince Jerry to hire hi).

The contract would require Jimmy to publically give Jerry credit and to publically claim that Jerry is the GM but the contract would give Jimmy complete control over the coaching staff and roster management.

Jimmy would then have the option to demote himself to consultant and hire a Head Coach.

I would offer the deal to Belichick first...

khiladi

Reaction score
At the end of the day I believe with better coaching he’s capable of cracking Top 10 to Top 15 overall. There are only a handful of teams that have Top 3-5 QBs. You just have to build up the team around him a play some serious chess out there to get to the next level..

Draft a QB in the first two rounds or bring in a solid vet...

I’d put him somewhere in the middle right now with all the talent around him. He is in circumstances as far as personnel and the RB getting the passing game looks any elite QB could exploit that any NFL QB would love to play in. And there is no indication that things like OL health remaining solid, Zek teaching RB deterioration for most RBs and Amari Cooper being here will continue, especially in Jerry’s World

That’s as far as I would go.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seeing that my con-Job isn't panning out and my 15 min of glory are almost at the finish line I'd pack in as much Cash as I can and save every penny as the future is indeed bleak and reality of his situation is coming on fast!
I am relieved. When I first read the title, my initial thought was "Could Pappydog consider the premise and not have a stroke?" Thankfully my concern was unfounded.

/not ENTIRELY sarcasm

doomsday9084

Reaction score
When people say "turn down the tag", do they mean hold out? I'm pretty sure that his choices are:
- Sign a deal that Dallas offers him
- Sign the franchise tender
- Hold out and not play or get paid

IMO, him holding out would be brain dead. Dallas would immediately be forced to go sign or draft a QB. There really aren't a lot of teams looking for QB's right now. Dak might be slitting his own throat if he forces Dallas to bring in competition for the job.

I also don't see him taking a team friendly deal. Those asinine QB deals last year set the market. Dak's agent would get crucified if he let him take less.

I just don't see how him playing under the franchise tag next year isn't what happens. Basically all parties are being forced into it.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
If I were Dak I would work on my running ability because right now he’s way to slow. He’s not a running threat he’s slower than Witten.

then hire a throwing guru and keep working on my craft.

I would take a team friendly deal so I can have talent around me because without talent around me I would be out of the league.

Dak is about as average as average can be.. he’s worth 28 mill max.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
When people say "turn down the tag", do they mean hold out? I'm pretty sure that his choices are:
- Sign a deal that Dallas offers him
- Sign the franchise tender
- Hold out and not play or get paid

IMO, him holding out would be brain dead. Dallas would immediately be forced to go sign or draft a QB. There really aren't a lot of teams looking for QB's right now. Dak might be slitting his own throat if he forces Dallas to bring in competition for the job.

I also don't see him taking a team friendly deal. Those asinine QB deals last year set the market. Dak's agent would get crucified if he let him take less.

I just don't see how him playing under the franchise tag next year isn't what happens. Basically all parties are being forced into it.

Yes holding out is always a last resort option...